SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jul 11, 2011, 10:41 PM
It wasn't me
Augsburg, Germany
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Pultruded tubes won't split if you wrap something like tesa film (I think you rather call it scotch tape ) around the part where you plan to cut the tube. Then cut through the tape and tube.

BTW: I usually fly CP helicopters. The tri was my first multicopter and at this time I couldn't imagine building something without any mechanical parts.
r0sewhite is offline Find More Posts by r0sewhite
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 12, 2011, 03:44 AM
Goleta, CA
Joined Mar 2006
758 Posts
I ordered my 5/8 tubes from:

https://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/k+s/k+s9415.htm

$8.89 fro 2 x 36" tubes

pootman
pootman is online now Find More Posts by pootman
Old Jul 12, 2011, 04:14 PM
Joined Jun 2006
1,917 Posts
i bought 4 kits and the quality is very very good!!on top of that rusty is a great man
good seller don t hesitate to order one
titeuf007 is offline Find More Posts by titeuf007
Old Jul 12, 2011, 08:06 PM
Hawaii
Joined Feb 2003
5,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by titeuf007 View Post
i bought 4 kits and the quality is very very good!!on top of that rusty is a great man
good seller don t hesitate to order one
Besides good products Rusty is genuinely one of the nice people in this business. There are a lot of shady characters in the hobby business and I have met a lot of them over the years. Rusty is totally different he is an enthusiast himself that so happens to have some great products to sell. I bought his frame as soon as I found out about them and have been collecting parts to experiment with different things ever since.
SeismicCWave is offline Find More Posts by SeismicCWave
Old Jul 12, 2011, 09:57 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Wow! I'm really flattered by the nice comments!! Now knock it off before I get so embarrassed that I have to close the thread

Seriously, this is still mostly fun for me, and what I make from it more than makes up for the "work" aspect. What's really amazing to me is that there seems to be no end to the testing and experiments you can do with multi-copters. People who aren't in the hobby just can't see it, but I can think of way more things I'd like to try than I'll ever have time for. Thankfully I'm not a programmer, or I'd have to give up sleeping to come close to having enough time.

The other interesting part is seeing the changes over the years. I had an original Roswell Flyer, and thought it was the coolest thing ever. At the time, it was, but looking back on that is like night and day. Seeing some of the videos that are produced by people is just stunning as well. Just absolutely professional quality!

Oh well, enough typing. Thanks again for the support.

Rusty
13brv3 is offline Find More Posts by 13brv3
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 13, 2011, 04:30 PM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
709 Posts
I just ordered a Rev-8 and 5/8 boom blocks for Trex 500 booms I'm going to take the chance on round! turns out sourcing 1/2" square was not possible locally. Now if it was 3/4" square, it would be available at any Kent, Canadian Tire, Home Depot store.
Grips is offline Find More Posts by Grips
Old Jul 13, 2011, 07:51 PM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grips View Post
I just ordered a Rev-8 and 5/8 boom blocks for Trex 500 booms I'm going to take the chance on round! turns out sourcing 1/2" square was not possible locally. Now if it was 3/4" square, it would be available at any Kent, Canadian Tire, Home Depot store.
Thanks! You'll be happy with the 5/8" round. I've just used them for the first time (other than test fitting) with aluminum Trex500 arms. It might actually be the best fitting combination there is.

I've used them with 5/8" pultruded arms plenty of times, and I just ordered a piece of 5/8" CF (not pultruded) to try. It's going to be way overkill, since the wall thickness is .062", but I couldn't resist ordering a piece to look at.

Attached is a current experiment, where I use 5/8" tubes strictly for the extra height. That will allow me to mount the CopterControl board inside the frame center, along with a receiver, and four 12A ESCs if desired. If I put the ESCs inside, it will only be because I can, and not because it's a good idea

BTW, notice the screws and spacers that are placed to block the arm from hitting the board if crashed violently enough. I learned a long time ago not to put anything valuable in line with the tubes without some protection

Cheers,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 13, 2011, 08:20 PM
It wasn't me
Augsburg, Germany
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Hi Rusty,

looks really good. It's nice to know that there is someone else using T-Rex parts to build frames.
It's simply a good idea and makes it easy for customers to get spare parts if they break an arm.

Certainly, it's a good idea to make the space around sensitive electronics as solid as possible. Here in Germany there is a big Mikrokopter community and many of them build their MK frames with the enclosed nylon screws. I always have to explain why it's no good idea to mount arms with nylon screws to protect them from being broken.

In my eyes the center plates have to be like a car's passenger cabine. Arms may fold but the center has to be solid to protect the electronic parts, no matter how hard the crash is. It's preferable if an arm folds than if it gets loose. The last thing we want is a motor that drop due to the use of nylon screws. In the best case the motor wires break and the motor is junk. In the worst case the wires dont break and the bashing motor destroys electronic parts.

BTW: Why do you only have pictures of frame parts in the foreground in your shop? I think it would be better if you had more example pictures of Multicopters in the foreground so that people can imagine what the built copter will look like.

Cheers
Tilman
Old Jul 14, 2011, 12:45 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0sewhite View Post
Hi Rusty,

looks really good. It's nice to know that there is someone else using T-Rex parts to build frames.
It's simply a good idea and makes it easy for customers to get spare parts if they break an arm.
Hi Tilman

First, thanks for the name. I hate using forum names

I've been selling versions of this for a few years now, and I've always seen the arm as sort of a fuse. The plan is to make sure the arms break before anything else, so it's cheap and easy to repair. It's also nice to leave the arm length decision to the customer, since there's really no "best" length.

As people want to fly with heavier and heavier payloads, the arms get stronger as well, which threatens the free replacement part offer a bit more, but even the larger arms seem to snap off right at the frame in a crash.

I usually leave a plug for any wires at the point where the arms attach to the frame. I tie the wires to the frame plate, and also a few inches out on the arm. The idea is that a crash will break the arm at the frame, and the wires will simply unplug without causing any damage.

Quote:
BTW: Why do you only have pictures of frame parts in the foreground in your shop? I think it would be better if you had more example pictures of Multicopters in the foreground so that people can imagine what the built copter will look like.

Cheers
Tilman
You're absolutely right of course. I'm a lousy salesman, and completely hopeless when it comes to marketing. The web designer should be sacked as well

I've always been worried that people will see a complete picture, and assume that's what they're getting. That's mostly why I put the kit contents first, but I absolutely need more pictures of complete frames. I explained in another thread that I don't ever build "stock" frames, since I'm usually testing something new. That partly explains the lack of stock frame pictures, and some of the strange non-stock items that are seen on the complete photos.

Cheers,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2011, 01:43 AM
It wasn't me
Augsburg, Germany
Joined Mar 2010
428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13brv3 View Post
Hi Tilman

First, thanks for the name. I hate using forum names
Me too

Quote:
I usually leave a plug for any wires at the point where the arms attach to the frame. I tie the wires to the frame plate, and also a few inches out on the arm. The idea is that a crash will break the arm at the frame, and the wires will simply unplug without causing any damage.
I did the same with my tricopter which was my first multicopter, inspired by Dadde/rcexplorer.se. To my surprise I never broke a CF rod though I had some crashes at the beginning because I use a Micro Rondo FBL stabilizing system as flight control which needed a lot of adjustment until it worked well.

All that happened was that the arms twist in the tail boom holders and once an arm has been pushed between the centerplates and blocked the yaw servo. But that was my fault because as a helicopter pilot I knew that T-Rex tail booms always should be wrapped with a layer of tape to sit tight in the plastic holder.

Quote:
You're absolutely right of course. I'm a lousy salesman, and completely hopeless when it comes to marketing. The web designer should be sacked as well

I've always been worried that people will see a complete picture, and assume that's what they're getting. That's mostly why I put the kit contents first, but I absolutely need more pictures of complete frames. I explained in another thread that I don't ever build "stock" frames, since I'm usually testing something new. That partly explains the lack of stock frame pictures, and some of the strange non-stock items that are seen on the complete photos.
That's my business. I have a small company specialized on web marketing, so feel free to ask, if you have any questions regarding improvement of your web shop's front end.

To be honest: I would love to have a shop, too. After I introduced my frames I've got an unbelievable number of requests. Probably I could make twice the money with selling frames than with my usual business. But multicopters are a hype now and who knows what will be in a few years? In my eyes it's no good idea to disregard my company, so multicopters will remain a hobby.

Cheers
Tilman
Old Jul 14, 2011, 05:55 AM
Schweiz, BE, Münchenbuchsee
Joined Jun 2011
297 Posts
Hi Tilman

Your frames are unbelievably wonderful
Especially your sportframe. If you once sell this i will buy it
(or maybe you will make one more

Andy
Morphin is online now Find More Posts by Morphin
Old Jul 14, 2011, 09:47 AM
Navarre, FL
Joined Mar 2002
3,845 Posts
Quote:
All that happened was that the arms twist in the tail boom holders and once an arm has been pushed between the centerplates and blocked the yaw servo. But that was my fault because as a helicopter pilot I knew that T-Rex tail booms always should be wrapped with a layer of tape to sit tight in the plastic holder.
Hi Tilman,

I've never used the stock T-Rex boom mount, so I don't know anything about how well it fits. Mine can be tightened enough that they don't need any tape, but I encourage people to resist the temptation to tighten them too much. I like them just tight enough to be difficult to move if you want to move them. That's also plenty tight so that they won't move on their own in flight.

My thinking is that they should move in a crash. The more they're allowed to move, the more energy they absorb, and the less damage there will be to other components. Over the years, I bet I've saved dozens of motors because they were able to twist on the arm, rather than be damaged. Of course I've ruined a few in spectacular ways as well

Quote:
That's my business. I have a small company specialized on web marketing, so feel free to ask, if you have any questions regarding improvement of your web shop's front end.

To be honest: I would love to have a shop, too. After I introduced my frames I've got an unbelievable number of requests. Probably I could make twice the money with selling frames than with my usual business. But multicopters are a hype now and who knows what will be in a few years? In my eyes it's no good idea to disregard my company, so multicopters will remain a hobby.

Cheers
Tilman
I appreciate the offer, but I'll eventually improve. Since I have a real job as well, I'd be afraid to become too successful now, because I'd never have time to play.

I also agree about the future of frame sales. I don't figure it could be a full time business for long, because there are 2-3 people a week who announce their new frames on RCG. Seems everyone is figuring out that a few frame sales will help pay for their new CNC machine. The lower end of the market will be pretty well saturated soon.

Speaking of my "real job"...

Cheers,
Rusty
Site Sponsor
Old Jul 14, 2011, 10:26 AM
www.joescnc.com
United States, TX, Marion
Joined Jun 2007
722 Posts
Quote:
I also agree about the future of frame sales. I don't figure it could be a full time business for long, because there are 2-3 people a week who announce their new frames on RCG. Seems everyone is figuring out that a few frame sales will help pay for their new CNC machine. The lower end of the market will be pretty well saturated soon.

Speaking of my "real job"...

Cheers,
Rusty
Ditto on that thinking, I make some for people but i do not want to make a website or get into the frame wars as seen on here, a new frame pops up everyday. I just do my own thing, if someone likes it and wants one that's fine, if not that's fine also. Certainly don't quit the day job. I enjoy making them, and having the equipment (CNC) to experiment.
Joecnc2006 is offline Find More Posts by Joecnc2006
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 14, 2011, 11:46 AM
Registered Lunatic
Boston, MA
Joined Jul 2010
1,062 Posts
Quote:
It's also nice to leave the arm length decision to the customer, since there's really no "best" length.
Interesting factoid, a Trex 450 boom can be cut into exactly three 4 1/2 inch lengths which also happens to be the perfect length to fit 8 x 4.5 props to the MQ-1 frame and wind up with a mini quad of 13 inches motor to motor. Two booms you get four arms plus two spares, as soon as I get the ESC connectors soldered I'll be doing some "strength" testing on the frame and arms...
RTRyder is offline Find More Posts by RTRyder
Old Jul 20, 2011, 08:26 PM
Eat-Sleep-Work-Fly-Repeat
Canada, NL, Division No. 9
Joined Mar 2011
709 Posts
I'm pretty pissed actually, not because of you Russ, but the Canadian Border Agency dinged me with a $30 bill on the kit for pete sakes.
Grips is offline Find More Posts by Grips