HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 05, 2014, 01:06 PM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by more coffee View Post
Today's electronics are the silicone version of toilet paper.
Great quotable (corrected ) quote, more coffee and the rest is spot-on accurate.

My gripe is 'planned obsolescence' as it pertains to electronics. You cannot have a cell phone for six months or less before it becomes hopelessly obsolete.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 05, 2014, 04:15 PM
r/c ships and workboats
bellingham, wa
Joined May 2006
4,672 Posts
Cell phones and electronics be like buying a new car now days. the moment you drive it off the lot--it is used and outdated.
keith S is offline Find More Posts by keith S
Old Aug 05, 2014, 05:16 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,187 Posts
New cars.

When we were looking for a used car for my wife, out of 4 dealerships we were warned not to buy anything that had batteries ,electric motors on the power train at three dealerships.
I understand enough of what make's them go ,to understand that being a tree hugger and paying through the nose for repairs isn't worth it.
In fact ,the repair bill would increase my carbon footprint because I would be burning more Diesel at work to pay for it.
more coffee is offline Find More Posts by more coffee
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Hi!
Old Aug 06, 2014, 02:29 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,218 Posts
This is why I really am happy to be part of the Spektrum dev team. Our radios are designed for new features to grow as we develop them. I'm not so big on planned obsolescence myself, and this ability really helps me find more satisfaction with my job. (I'm super-satisfied, and this adds to it!)

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 06, 2014, 08:50 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Arnold, Mo.
Joined Jul 2005
4,613 Posts
Just about the time I made jump to a Spektrum 2.4, it was obsoleted.

Planned obsolescence bites the big one.
green-boat is offline Find More Posts by green-boat
Old Aug 09, 2014, 10:12 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,187 Posts
If its not out dated.

I cant say everything does this ..

But out of three camera's ,Two Olympus and one canon. by three different owners .
All shared the same problem ,fresh batteries ,rechargeable or otherwise.
All three camera's would start up ,detect dead batteries and shut down.
All three have a microprocessor.

It make's me wonder if there isn't a page in the firmware that when a conditions of use are right ,the appliance will cease to work .

When your product can reliably out live the consumer ,that's a problem for manufacturers .
So rather than announce that the appliance is out of life electronically , and get a vengeful public all out for blood..
Just quietly kill the product on the manufacturing floor. Its only a software script tied to the "odometer"

Make's a guy wonder. don't it..
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:14 AM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Canada, NS, Sydney Mines
Joined Sep 2005
3,187 Posts
Here's another gripe.

I like my audio ,and home theater..
Shopping for a new receiver ,It was tedious before ..its hellacious now.
Network Receiver??

Windows Compatible ??

Why is it someone needs to be able to connect their cell phone to a home stereo..

What was wrong with the supplied remote ,that a guy needs their cell phone to adjust the volume of a home stereo?

To be honest , Todays receivers remind me of the 70's with chain steering wheels ,wiggly ball's around the windshield and faux teardrop window's.

Progress..Im pretty good with electronics but connected 24/7 to my home theater just seems nuts!!!
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2014, 02:18 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
25,218 Posts
Quote:
If its not out dated.

I cant say everything does this ..

But out of three camera's ,Two Olympus and one canon. by three different owners .
All three have a microprocessor.

It make's me wonder if there isn't a page in the firmware that when a conditions of use are right ,the appliance will cease to work .

When your product can reliably out live the consumer ,that's a problem for manufacturers .
So rather than announce that the appliance is out of life electronically , and get a vengeful public all out for blood..
Just quietly kill the product on the manufacturing floor. Its only a software script tied to the "odometer"

Make's a guy wonder. don't it..
A lot of the video and camera chips are shared by multiple manufacturers in China. It's the way they do things. It wouldn't surprise me at all if all the cameras were running the same code.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 11, 2014, 11:03 PM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Quote:

All three have a microprocessor.... ...
Thanks for sharing this. I have an old Olympus mid-range point and shoot and it is the biggest battery hog I have ever seen. It does what you describe; shuts down immediately or within minutes on NiMHs but does somewhat better, at times, on alkalines or lithiums. Turned me off of photo'ing for a while. Could never figure it out.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member