New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2016, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by chris_b
United States, CA, Orange County
Joined Sep 2004
381 Posts
Discussion
flying at a place that rhymes with morco... or fun in the santa ana's

I’m sure there are a million different ways to spend Super Bowl Sunday other than hanging out on hill thats name rhymes with morco in absolutely stupid wind that is blowing the perfect direction with your two besties but today that’s what Paul Anderson, Gregg Bolton and I did. Oh did I mention that it was warm enough to wear shorts and t-shirts too, and we ate tacos when we were done? #livingthedream

So the day started with me missing the half dozen or so calls from Gregg this morning when he was trying to see when I was going to get to the hill or wake me up and tell me to go to the hill, (not sure which because I didn’t listen to any of his messages-I would like to add that it was super peaceful with the ringer turned off).

When we finally did connect he was already at the hill, I know this because when I told him I didn’t believe he was there he sounded sort of offended and sent me a picture to prove it. So with this in mind I put some giddy up into my step and collected a couple of things that seemed like they would be good to fly in what was sure to be epic conditions, things like a 100 oz JW, you know dynamic soaring tools that men would bring to the hill, i also brought my well used 20 odd oz. boomerang because it “might be light”. It wasn’t.

I guess I should mention that the local news had been talking about a “major santa ana event” for the last five days and upgraded the “high wind watch” to a “high wind warning” this morning which loosely translated means: “it’s on”).

Paul Anderson was going to meet us at the hill as well and he had seen the news too. Paul also brought manly d.s. tools like a 90 odd oz bolt cutter or a what a common man might call a 48” plank / missile of death and destruction complete with custom servo covers he made from a monster energy drink can. It was bada… (think of a word the moderators would sensor and you’d be right, that’s what Paul’s plane was) Paul also was hedging his bets and brought “light plane to goof off and have a fur ball with” so he also had a really nice light Bee in tow.

Gregg however seemed to miss the news, (I guess when you are single and spend your days surfing the internet watching videos of keyboard cat on youtube or searching out the perfect kitten calendar for your kitchen and perusing tinder you don’t have time to watch the news). Gregg didn’t bring anything heavy. What he did bring was a half way to 40 ounce Bee, a really way too nice, and light, to be flying in a bunch of wind at a rock covered slope Trinity that he just bought, and a well used but still totally cool Diva. Cool except for the fact that Satan lives inside it and likes to show up at inappropriate times by locking out the radio reception.

I think it is fair to mention that Gregg is single, and as such his house is littered with big heavy things to fly when the wind is blowing, so much so you can’t hardly walk around his place without stubbing your toe on a 130” Kinetic or something, I guess where I am going is he has options.

He also didn’t bring a radar gun.

Neither Paul or I own one, why would we? Gregg has one. When asked about why he didn’t bring it, (and the topic came up once or twice), he said something about “we fly for fun”, and “we are keeping it old school, O.G., you know-no radar”. So if you are looking for a story about how “we missed all of the faster passes on radar” this isn’t one of them so you might as well quit reading here. We missed ALL of the passes on radar. All of them.

Anyway so we all meet up at the hill. Gregg has been there for an hour or so and has successfully flown/recovered his diva after Satan decided to take it for a short spin in the middle of his flight. (As a side note: I got a bunch of texts from Gregg last night while he was performing an exorcism on the diva, removing anything he thinks might be contributing to Satan’s random appearances, so hopefully we see it at the hill again, flying this time). That left him with a too nice/light to fly trinity and a lightweight Bee to tear around with, although it did fly and Gregg made it look good, the Bee spent a pretty good portion of the flight going backwards.

After Gregg got done goofing around we all sort of stood around looked at each other so I decided to try to fly my boomerang. Gregg had been flying his wing backwards, I figured I could too so why not? Turns out the why not came when I asked Paul to launch it for me and as he was walking to the face of the hill to throw it the elevons started fluttering as he was holding it in the wind. With that in mind I made the judgement call to throw off the heavy iron, (my JW), and proceeded in flying it around for a while. It was so windy, and so smooth, it was perfect. Gregg told me I “flew like a boss” which I am confident is code for something I can’t print here without getting a point from the moderator. He also pointed out that my hands didn’t seem to be “shaking like they normally do”. I would have preferred he was reading the speeds on his radar gun telling me how much faster I was going than what he did with a foamy instead of looking at my hands.

After flying around for fun for a while I decided to land, and so I did. Like a boss. (Actually it was a bit of a rodeo, but it is unhurt and ready to go again).

Paul was up next and had his brand new not yet maidened bolt cutter with him. It was hands down the nicest one I have seen yet, and at 90 odd ounces plenty heavy to take advantage of the winds. The question is do you maiden an airplane that you stand a fair chance of wrecking trying to get it slowed down enough to land just for kicks? (because you don’t know how fast you flew because someone didn’t bring their radar gun) Well, if your name is Paul Anderson you do. He made these big effortless looking laps, (Paul is sort of gifted so everything looks pretty effortless), that were absolutely smoking fast. Gregg said he didn’t think they were that fast, but what else could he say-he didn’t bring a radar gun.

Everything was going really well until it wasn’t. Paul got tired of flying around and decided it was time to bring his jewel in when something went sideways and the Bolt Cutter took its own life. (I know there are a couple of things in the D.S. forum that are kind of unwritten rules and this little story is breaking the big one: 1. We are talking about an airplane crashing. Sorry kids, get ready for nightmares tonight. If you fly d.s. you will at some point crash an airplane. Ice-cream melts, concrete cracks, taxes are due. Find someone who loves you to give you a hug, it’ll be ok).

We hiked around for a few minutes and then spotted something that looked out of place, like the tail of a red airplane sticking straight up out of the ground. It turns out that was exactly what we saw. Paul reached down and pulled it out of the ground like i imagine Arthur pulled excalibur from the stone and let out a muted “oh well”, but by the time we had hiked back to where all of our planes were he was talking about going over to Gregg’s and laying up another one so I am pretty sure there will be a sequel to this tale.

We then sat around for a few minutes commenting on how good the conditions were and that we were the only ones there and that we really didn’t have anything to fly, (I had something to fly, but I’ll admit I am shallow and didn’t want to risk wrecking the plane without a radar gun there to at least get its dying speed), so we packed everything up and started the hike down the hill to our cars. Which on a normal day wouldn’t be so hard but try it on a dirt road that is covered with marbles with the wind blowing 40+ miles an hour, and your carrying a bunch of awkward shaped things that are trying there best to not be carried down the hill and the program changes channels a bit. Never mind the fact that if you slip and fall on one it most likely won’t be the same again and your buddies will heckle you till the day you die about how you slipped and killed your (fill in the blank) slope toy.

We all made it down in one piece and got everything loaded, Paul had to run off and help his wife with something so he bolted and Gregg and I went and ate tacos. I know that is kind of an anti-climatic end to the story but let’s not kid ourselves, the story really wasn’t about much to begin with other than a few good friends flying toy airplanes in circles, heckling each other, laughing about stupid things, and eating tacos.

I can’t wait to do it again.

Chris
chris_b is offline Find More Posts by chris_b
Last edited by chris_b; Yesterday at 02:08 PM. Reason: andrew said it was donkey the way I had spelled taco's... :)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 08, 2016, 07:41 PM
Joined Sep 2004
381 Posts
IMG 7813 (0 min 31 sec)
Last edited by chris_b; Yesterday at 02:14 PM.
Old Feb 08, 2016, 08:17 PM
Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Pilot Error
Pacific Palisades, CA
Joined Jul 2004
9,629 Posts
Nice write up Chris. It seems like everywhere was going off yesterday.
screamin' eagle is offline Find More Posts by screamin' eagle
Old Feb 08, 2016, 09:53 PM
Find More Posts by Larrikin
Everything's A Compromise
Joined Jan 2005
1,933 Posts
Very entertaining read. Thanks for posting.
D.
Larrikin is online now Find More Posts by Larrikin
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: The Rubicon
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:10 PM
Joined Sep 2004
381 Posts
Thanks guys, and Dom I think your right about it going off everywhere!

Oh the noise that you can kind of hear in one of the passes on the video is the aluminum can servo covers that Paul made vibrating, we were heckling him that it sounded like it had a turbine on board...

Chris
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:31 PM
Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
Remember... Fly for fun!
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
6,492 Posts
AVB has competition!

Best DS report read ever, well at least top 3...

Chris, you coming to Weldon in April? I Nominate you for reporting duties!

Still got a grin on my face after reading that. Great day by the sounds of it
ALEX HEWSON is online now Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 08, 2016, 11:40 PM
Find More Posts by L.A.R.S.
Launch and Recovery System
United States, CA, Laguna Beach
Joined Apr 2008
1,717 Posts
LOL thanks for the Laugh!! I flew today and brought my new D80 to Parker with a pound of lead in each wing tip to maiden it. Wind bowing in the 50s, Spencer there to help me get it styled out, Even brought a friend to show off to, who really only flys crappy PSS planes when DS'ing (you might remember the kid who broke 3 of them in 20 mins at Norco awhile back and you gave him a hat). So anyways....I get it up to 264 and am thinking , "Wow so this is Parker, why haven't I flew here before" and "wow I feel rusty and nervous flying my new plane but this is cool!"
So after wanting someone to fly it and let me shake off the first flight jitters I decide to give it to Jordon (aka That PSS Kid) and he proceeds to match my 264 on the forth lap and keeps winding it up to 308!! #%$#^%$#!!! It was his first Big DS plane he ever flew, ya ya he has DS'ed before and has flown my D40 at Weldon to 178 but damn!! With my own new plane. The moral of this story is....I'm getting old.
The one thing that did make me smile was before he took control of my plane he plowed his JW in at 180.

ok so I'm a little petty, so what
In all Fun, Congrats to Jordon Loreto for joining the 300 club!!
L.A.R.S. is offline Find More Posts by L.A.R.S.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 12:19 AM
Find More Posts by sll914
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2003
1,383 Posts
Paul, Have you looked into Gregg's warranty on the Bolt Cutter? I think it should cover dork landings...
sll914 is offline Find More Posts by sll914
Last edited by sll914; Feb 09, 2016 at 10:00 AM.
Old Feb 09, 2016, 01:29 AM
Joined Sep 2004
381 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALEX HEWSON View Post
AVB has competition!

Best DS report read ever, well at least top 3...

Chris, you coming to Weldon in April? I Nominate you for reporting duties!

Still got a grin on my face after reading that. Great day by the sounds of it
Thanks for the compliment Alex!

I am not sure I am up to Andrew's standards of reporting though, his reporting from Weldon was epic!

As far as getting to Weldon in April, I hope that we can get the whole crew up there for some nonsense with you guys, at least for a day or two...

@Spencer-it wasn't a dorked landing, it was a full on "wait, what just happened" moment. Straight in from 200+ feet up. It happened on the right side of the area where we park the cars, Gregg mentioned that his plane had acted wonky over there too...
Old Feb 09, 2016, 01:43 AM
AvB
Find More Posts by AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
5,086 Posts
Hey Chris, when you write "Taco's" it shows your lack of command of the language and absurdly poor writing style. Absolute rubbish really. In that context, Tacos is plural and doesn't require an apostrophe. If it was possessive ("I dropped the taco's filling on the floor") then you'd be justified in using the apostrophe.

I had to say that above because you're taking away my mantle of DS reporter, and that damn stupid apostrophe is the only thing I can find to pick on!!

Fantastic write-up mate!! Alex rang me to tell me to go find it and have a read, and wow what a great effort! I am envious of your reporting ability ... you're up in the league of Dave Barry, being able to write like that! I really had lots of laughs and had to tell my wife.

Thanks so much for the funny entertaining report and keep them coming!
AvB is online now Find More Posts by AvB
Old Feb 09, 2016, 01:06 PM
Find More Posts by rothlisburger
the occasional flyer
Rexburg, ID
Joined Jul 2008
671 Posts
Yeah. I was thinking Fun with Santa Ana's what?

Good fun though..

-D
rothlisburger is offline Find More Posts by rothlisburger
Old Feb 09, 2016, 03:50 PM
Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Objects in mirror are losing
USA, NV, Reno
Joined May 2003
4,310 Posts
In some circles, it is acceptable to use an apostrophe "s" for clarity.
We flew our Bee's and D60's until the wings came off.
1000MPH is offline Find More Posts by 1000MPH
Old Feb 09, 2016, 04:21 PM
Find More Posts by timbuck
Nothing is easy
gold coast australia
Joined Aug 2008
6,252 Posts
Great write up chris , good laugh over my morning cuppa. " fluttering on launch ". Haha.
timbuck is online now Find More Posts by timbuck
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: More colours
Old Feb 09, 2016, 06:02 PM
Find More Posts by Thurssday1
United States, CA, Lake Forest
Joined Jan 2012
34 Posts
Anyone driving up to the top of Norco anymore? I know it was pretty tough for me last time I drove up, road was pretty beat up.
Thurssday1 is offline Find More Posts by Thurssday1
Old Feb 09, 2016, 08:12 PM
Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain
EPP Extrordinare
United States, CA, San Clemente
Joined Feb 2008
3,440 Posts
Next NE I will walk up if I have to cus DS is fun
Mr. Combat Certain is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Combat Certain