Old Feb 04, 2016, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
B'ham UK
Joined Oct 2005
3,100 Posts
A trainer option Barny Old Timer 72"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Extreme Sports View Post
This question was asked on a different thread in this forum; best that my thoughts are recorded here.

My first reaction is that this is probably as good as any SPAD plane to use as a trainer, but would recommend adding some dihedral to make the rudder more effective and add more stability. Its advantage is relatively simple construction, light weight and slow flying speed (which of course implies that it will not be the best plane for windy conditions...but your very first flights should all be on windless days, so I don't see this as a major drawback).

That said, I think there are better options for a first plane, particularly if you don't have access to an experienced pilot to help you set up the plane and assist with the first few flights. Crashes are a 100% certainty if you are teaching yourself and its seems a shame to crumple something that actually looks like a real plane and has taken some time and effort to build. Also, the cub is quite sensitive to the initial set up (esp thrust angle) and without expert help, you are almost certain to write off the plane before you get it set up right (or at best you won't know if the problem is with your flying skill or with the set up and by the time you work it out, the plane will have so many repairs that it probably won't look like a Cub anymore!).

My advice would be to look at the foamies forum and build one of the very quick and easy to build trainers there that would run on a the same power set-up (e.g. a slightly enlarged BlueBaby). Alternatively buy one of the small, cheap RTF trainers (e.g Skysurfer....but there are tons of similar designs) and take all the hard knocks on that. When you feel confident that you can fly consistently and smoothly without crashing, then perhaps look at a SPAD trainer such as this one (or any of the others mentioned in the other post - you will be in a better position to decide for yourself which one will best suit you - every poster will have his/her favourites).
Nice work are you familiar with one of the original SPAD designs Barny based on a 3 channel old timer 72" span high-wing mode?l it used to be on Chunks site ... Im trying to track it down ... the site if it exists I have the plans Zipped I think I will try to find a picture.. simpler than a cub and a tad more forgiving.
My normal habitat is over in waterplanes but I pop up looking for good alternatives and anything different SPADs are tough and waterproof if done right...so much respect. I needed to convert a dfx file to an acceptable format or zip it all so Inspect all but download the dfx and all others as a single zip.
Airboatflyingshp is offline Find More Posts by Airboatflyingshp
Last edited by Airboatflyingshp; Feb 04, 2016 at 03:56 PM.
to remove ads between posts