Old Oct 03, 2012, 07:12 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
Discussion
"HAWKER HUNTER" RE-birth- When things don't go right!

Re-birth of “HAWKER HUNTER” by Fly Fly.
Few years back while progressing from smaller 55/64 and 70mm EDF powered models to larger more powerful 90mm set ups I was offered this “Hawker Hunter” foamy ARF kit for the price I couldn’t refuse, despite never liking the look of this model. The kit came with fixed landing gear and 90mm seven bladed EDF unit. Recommended for 5S lipo power set up I thought it would be more-less a park flyer so I have decided to up-graded it to higher voltage 6-8S power system. During this period I was still using 36megs not realizing the incompability of high voltage with this frequency.
Being most exited about this new more powerful project I was very anxious to build and fly it. There were number of modifications required, like installation of proper hinges to all moving controls strengthening of landing gear area and fitting in made up thrust tube. While using programmable HV 120amp ESC I have set it up initially to 6S for my maiden flight. Being such large and light model at well under 3kg AUW I was very pleased with the performance and very curious what it will be like going to 32volt, 8S. Reprogramming my ESC, re-balancing model’s CofG and some range check I decided to do my first flight using this higher voltage. Impressed with the huge difference in performance and few full speed passes the model went suddenly into dive while at full power on come back turn at some 250meter distance.
With bit of luck, the model didn’t hit the ground but ploughed through the gum tree foliage while both 4S/4000mA hooked in series ended after the impact in 12 inches of water logged bush. After salvaging all the reminding bits from the trees I decided to repair it as I didn’t find any major structural damage but lot of bruising and ripped off nose section. Blaming the crash on suspected low receiver battery voltage I had no idea at this stage that the main reason for this black-out was the signal interference due to the high voltage motor/ESC leads running along most of my servo control wires.
After spending great deal of time repairing and repainting all the damage I ended up with brand new looking model but no canopy, which was shattered in pieces after the crash. After some inquaries, I couldn’t replace it so decided to buy another model at great price. Guess what, first re-maiden, only half a minute into the flight the same thing happened, full throttle nose dive, this time being more unfortunate with total right off!
Bells started to ring that it was some sort of interference so after few discussions with EDF fliers I started to suspect my 36meg. frequency. It was this time I decided to install in HV powered models 2.4 system, though still costing me few models not realizing it is a must to use 5cell instead of 4cells Ni-cad batteries I was using to operate this type of receiver.
Those were my early days of learning the hard way and since building and successfully flying many HV, 8-12S power systems with 2.4 frq. Let me add, that I’m still operating number of models using 36 meg. with no interference issues but only up to maximum 6S or some 24 volts.
Only recently came across in my shed with this Hawker Hunter box, less canopy so decided to build it using all the EDF bits and pieces I could find in my crash debris box. After more search I managed to find “Cosmos” canopy from Park Flyer Plastics co. requiring only minor mods to fit it. Instead of buying new power unit I have built one using combination of 3 used EDF units and 1650kv ARC in-runner motor. The original 7-bladed rotor was cut down on lathe by 1.5mm to fit smaller 89mm carbon fibre SM shroud after similar mishap in this case destroying only my 11 bladed rotor. After some bench tests I was pleased with the performance and fitted it to the completed model. I have never enjoyed flying ‘camo’ blobs so I have hand repainted it to give it some livery. This time I did more thorough range check before my maiden as you can’t separate the power and control leads in this build running in the same channel. Fortunately thanks to 2.4 frq. I find there is no more interference issue while using higher voltage set ups. While using 8S4000/40C batteries the AUW is only 3.1kg but my power unit produces some 4kg thrust which pushes this model to great vertical performance. Current draw at 75amps WOT, gives me some 3-4 min flight time with this “pattern-ship” of jet models, with some throttle management.
There are no suggestions for the flying controls in the instruction manual but I use 15mm throws on AIL. and maximum I can get with the rather small Elevators. There is no mention about CofG but I balance mine at 220mm back from the leading edge but model flies well at 210-230mm range. I strongly recommend to every builder of this model to install proper nylon, flat or pin style hinges to all moving controls. Inexperienced modeller can be easily fooled by what looks like pre-hinged Ail. and El. controls but there is only a thin compressed foam layer. I know there were number of models being lost due to this problem. Happy flying, Joseph Frost.
Specs. Length-1507mm, W/span-1120mm, Power by mod. 90mm EDF running 8S4000/40C, 120amp ESC, AUW 3150grams.
jofro is offline Find More Posts by jofro
Last edited by jofro; Mar 12, 2016 at 02:14 AM. Reason: pic
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
October is here, the windiest month of the year, it just doesn't stop, but this "Hunter" cuts through it like a knife after few more flights today. J.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 02:04 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
This is my heavy duty nose gear, easilly handling 'goat truck' strips for taking off and landings.4.5kg metal gear servo used for steering, still waiting for someone to come up with set of retracts to match this, J.
Old Oct 30, 2012, 04:15 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
My "Hawker Hunter" worked overtime throughout "Jets over Fraser Coast" last week, one of handful of EDF's among all the jet turbine powered models. Sunday, the final public display flying was cancelled due to 30+mph southerly so everyone packed up after an early presentation. I have still managed before my departure couple of flights to demonstrate how easilly this model can handle strong 30+mph wind by loading heavy 5Ah batteries and ading extra ballast to my CofG probe. See you there in July, J.
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:29 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
HH in flight on gloomy day, J.

nov04 (3 min 34 sec)
Old Dec 19, 2012, 07:40 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
Using the larger 5000mA/50C packs now with more weight aded to the CofG probe gives me now close to 5min. flight time with some throttle management, Joe.
Old Dec 20, 2012, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
Another windy day, flew my "Hawker Hunter" in 50km/h wind gusts, deffinitelly the best model for these conditions.
After very successful raffle draw last Sunday raising $640- for the club I have delivered today another beautifully framed art work, this time an "avionik" subject to be drawn at our AGM in June. You got to be in it to win it! Anyone interested in tickets please PM me, Marry Christmas to all of you avionic nut cases, Regards Joseph.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:18 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
All flying fields in the region are out of order due to the cyclonic conditions last 10 days so I have been doing some sand blasting off the beach, this model is absolute magic to fly in just about any crappy conditions like today, see my latest footage next, Joe.
Old Feb 27, 2013, 03:09 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
Spectacular beach footage yestereday, after cyclone hitting our region, enjoy it, Joe.
P1050540 (4 min 3 sec)
Old Sep 17, 2015, 03:44 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
How the time flies when you have fun, almost forgot about this Thread after all these years, the Hunter is still in full swing but today being too wet for flying decided to install Rudder function for better precision flying. Bit of surgery but otherwise simple fix.
Old Sep 17, 2015, 07:43 AM
Find More Posts by sihinch
Canada, ON, Toronto
Joined Jun 2007
618 Posts
Nice the see it's still flying. I built one 2 years ago and crashed it twice. Badly. I found that my wing incidence was different left vs right, but of course not until after the fact.

I've been tempted to get another but the bad memories haunt me. I also felt there was a weak point in the fuse, where the wing joins. Not much foam and only a weak wood former.

Maybe you can convince me it's worth the work! Lol
sihinch is online now Find More Posts by sihinch
Old Sep 17, 2015, 09:01 AM
Find More Posts by killickb
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
2,316 Posts
Definitely worth the build/ mod time! I added a carbon tube along each side of fuse ( internally) to strengthen that point and have seen no deflections. I do try to not remove wing to often though. Many at the field think this model flies the smoothest of any EDF out there.

Bite the bullet and builds another, you know that #2 is always so much better anyway!
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb
Old Sep 17, 2015, 06:54 PM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
You are right, those wing/fuse joints are very weak spots! I would never fly these foamies unless fully assembled permanently. I used strong fibre glass reinforced tape to seal off all the joints and just paint it over. No chance of brake even in the strongest wind.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 03:35 AM
Find More Posts by jofro
Joined Jan 2010
4,174 Posts
While finishing my Rudder today I have noticed quite a curve in both of my Elevator stabs downwards. I can't remember if it was like that originally or bent gradually over the years. Maybe the heat of the sun on the top surface created it, anyone noticed it on the models? Beside frying eggs on the surfaces the Australian sun can create all sorts of surprises.
Old Sep 18, 2015, 08:19 AM
Find More Posts by killickb
killickb
The Villages. Florida
Joined Jan 2005
2,316 Posts
Well your surfaces don't look too gatored for all that Aussie sun. My tailplanes were also anhedraled out of the box so I tried to hot water them back to level as best I could but EPO must have some memory as they are going down again. I also added some balsa t.e. stock to my elevators both to make t.e. sharp and to get some stiffness/straightness.

Love your "scale" toothed exhaust --- what is the theory behind that then ? Very tidy rudder mod, I did it but can never remember ever using rudder !!
killickb is online now Find More Posts by killickb