New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:52 AM
Find More Posts by Oberst
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Discussion
Warning, Don't deal with Glenn Torrance Models!

Like I've mentioned in another R/C Forum, I just had very bad dealings with Glenn Torrance Models. A little over a month ago I ordered the 1/4 scale Fokker Ammo Box and Gnome engine kit. After 2 weeks of waiting, I called Glenn and asked why he hadn't taken my money out and sent my stuff yet. He replied on the phone that he was in the middle of moving the business, but had my order in boxes already to be shipped. I asked him to please take the money out off my card and send my package out asap. He agreed, and took the money out of my account.

Last week I sent 2 Emails to him and he didn't answer. Then last Friday I wrote a Email telling him I would file a complaint to the BBB if he didn't answer my Email or notify me that he was about to ship my order out.

Immediatly I got a reply stating that he would return my money and told me that he understood my frustration. I wrote back mentioning what he said to me on the phone 2 weeks prior, (That he had my order in boxes already), and that I'd prefer him to just send me my stuff rather than having my money sent back to me.

Finally this morning he returned my funds. Glenn Torrance himself gave me very bad customer service and only gave me excuses. Didn't reply or keep me informed about my order through Email or phone unless I threatened him.

Glenn Torrance just treated me like Arizona Models did, and like Arizona- I will no longer do business with any of them. They both need better customer relation skills. For now on BUSA and Proctor get my business.

I plan on doing a write up on Angie's List and I still will be filling a complaint to the BBB even though I doubt I can still do so.

I'm a very unsatisfied customer!

Pete
Oberst is offline Find More Posts by Oberst
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 09, 2011, 08:12 AM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,298 Posts
This is turning into a Vendetta.

You obviously do not have the patience to wait, while a highly respected member of the scale community moves his business.

It's too bad that his move doesn't coincide with your plans.

This hobby is supposed to be relaxing. If you can't relax while doing it, maybe it's time to do something else.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 09, 2011, 10:03 AM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TomCrump View Post
This is turning into a Vendetta.

You obviously do not have the patience to wait, while a highly respected member of the scale community moves his business.

It's too bad that his move doesn't coincide with your plans.

This hobby is supposed to be relaxing. If you can't relax while doing it, maybe it's time to do something else.

Sorry you don't like my complaint. Yes, building planes can be relaxing, however bad business dealings can make this hobby nerve racking.

He may be a respectable in the R/C community, but unfortunately I can not concure with your statement from what I'd experienced.

Pete
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:03 AM
Find More Posts by piperjoe
United States, MI, Interlochen
Joined Dec 2009
2,497 Posts
Pete, I read your opening statement a couple of times and what I see is a lack of understanding and, as Tom pointed out, patience. Granted you made a purchase but I think you over reacted to the situation that didn't come off as YOU wanted it to. In the middle of moving his business, and he had NOT taken your money prior to your first call, you want him to stop everything just to please you...which is the bottom line in your ranting. Relax a bit, take a deep breath, and think about this a little....

Soft landings,

Joe
piperjoe is offline Find More Posts by piperjoe
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:14 AM
Find More Posts by LesUyeda
San Diego, California
Joined Dec 2004
4,037 Posts
As far as I am concerned, the name of the game is communications. If one is going to do business with the public, the last thing you do is ignore the customer. He (the customer) has no blinkin idea what is going on on the other end unless he is informed, patience be diddled.

Les
LesUyeda is offline Find More Posts by LesUyeda
Old Mar 09, 2011, 11:50 AM
Find More Posts by gwinhh
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,762 Posts
Herr Oberst is aptly named.

howell

EDIT: The term "oberst" is a German abbreviation for "Oberleutnant" which means first lieutenant. It was meant to imply that the man who CHOSE THIS SCREEN NAME is someewhat overbearing because the literal meening of the word "oberst" is "over". It's similar to "uber."
The word is GERMAN, not Nazi. If it WERE Nazi, it would not be in current use in the German armed services.

HE chose to use the word as a screen name (maybe because Lacona is close to Old Rhinebeck Aerodrome?). Give HIM a point for using a word which might be possibly sorta maybe inflammatory if you look at it and squint. All I did was make a comment on its meening and appropriateness.

I don't see why I need to edit my post, so I will not. My grandmother was German, so I am probably blessed with extra stubborn.

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Last edited by gwinhh; Mar 17, 2011 at 03:46 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 12:41 PM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by LesUyeda View Post
As far as I am concerned, the name of the game is communications. If one is going to do business with the public, the last thing you do is ignore the customer. He (the customer) has no blinkin idea what is going on on the other end unless he is informed, patience be diddled.

Les

That's what exactly went on Les. Ditto! And to top it off, he (Glenn Torrance) figured he'd just send the money back against the customers wishes just to get rid of the customer so he could shut him up.

The Moderators at RCU removed and allowed me to re-post my complaint, but I re-posted it in another Forum. Some people love Glenn Torrance so much that they will stifle anyone who has a complaint about him. Even if it's to sabotage a Thread making it so negitive the Moderators have to step in to remove, or lock it.

A few of them even came in here from RCU and Posted in this thread continuing to throw insults.(No names being mentioned)

One of the Moderators at RCU agreed it's not right to bash a person who had a bad experience with a company that is so well liked, but asked that I do not push for a boycott of a company at their Site, and I agreed.

By the way of the reaction I got, I guess I might be the first to be unhappy with Glenn Torrance. I Posted the warning up, because if he does this again, believe me- you won't be just reading it from me.

Anyone know where I can get a 1/4 scale Gnome engine Case and ammo box kit or templete for a Fokker DR1 other than Arizona or Glenn Torrance?

Pete
Last edited by Oberst; Mar 09, 2011 at 12:49 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 12:43 PM
Find More Posts by Captainhook1
Swartz Creek, MI
Joined Aug 2008
738 Posts
I have had no bad dealings with Glenn. I do understand that when purchasing special kits like these, that there sometimes is patience to be preached. Glenn works a regular job along with his business. Combine these with his recent move and more patience must be preached. Frustrating at times, yes but I do understand his situation. To say this situation is bad customer relations is out right wrong. Balsa USA and others like them have full time customers relations avaialble. Sounds like the type of kit you should pursue if you do not have that patience. Hopefully, BUSA will not move anytime soon, as the bad customer relations people will be all over them spreading the bad news about their customer relations....

Carey
Captainhook1 is offline Find More Posts by Captainhook1
Old Mar 09, 2011, 01:02 PM
Lacona, NY
Joined Dec 2009
291 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainhook1 View Post
I have had no bad dealings with Glenn. I do understand that when purchasing special kits like these, that there sometimes is patience to be preached. Glenn works a regular job along with his business. Combine these with his recent move and more patience must be preached. Frustrating at times, yes but I do understand his situation. To say this situation is bad customer relations is out right wrong. Balsa USA and others like them have full time customers relations avaialble. Sounds like the type of kit you should pursue if you do not have that patience. Hopefully, BUSA will not move anytime soon, as the bad customer relations people will be all over them spreading the bad news about their customer relations....

Carey

Hi Carey, Building patients is a little different than waiting over a month for something he said he was going to mail out, and then waiting another 3 weeks without hearing from him, even after shooting him a few Emails asking him what was going on.

I'm rebuilding and modifying a 15-20 year old Discontinued- Great Planes .60 Fokker DR1. I started it last July 15, 2010 to be exact. So I do have patience.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10038870/tm.htm

I don't think I'm the only one who would want to wait a month or more for a few parts, and not hear anything from the supplier.

What got me going is he told me 2 weeks into this that he'd already had my order packaged? And last night I asked what was up with it, and he just sends my money back with no explaination of mentioning why he did it.

When I ordered from Proctor Models, my orders went out as soon as he got it, and I got my order in 4 business days. Proctors is a 1 man operation, why couldn't Glenn have done the same? I gave Glenn a chance, he blew it.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable here,

Pete
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:17 PM
Find More Posts by gwinhh
Beaumont tx
Joined Oct 2004
3,762 Posts
Don't you need an MD to build patients?

howell
gwinhh is offline Find More Posts by gwinhh
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:18 PM
Find More Posts by 4075aaron
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,477 Posts
"For now on BUSA and Proctor get my business.

I plan on doing a write up on Angie's List and I still will be filling a complaint to the BBB even though I doubt I can still do so.

I'm a very unsatisfied customer!

Pete[/QUOTE]"

I think that we can all sympathize with feeling frustrated when we pay for something and don’t receive it as quickly as we would like. We all would experience a level of frustration if we felt as though a vendor was ignoring us or treating us badly. I believe that most of us here that have done business with Glenn in the past are surprised to read about your experience. I have never heard of anyone having a bad experience with him, and you should understand that he is largely respected amongst the modeling community.

Either you had bad luck with your order, or we are not getting the whole picture. You are pretty emotional and fired up in your postings here, which makes me wonder how you were in your communications with Glenn. Glenn is moving his operations, I think most of us who spend time on this site knew that already. You should give him a break because of that. If I were a vendor dealing with a charged up customer who threatened to report me to the BBB, I would most likely send the funds back to end the transaction as well. Keep us posted on how your transactions work with Balsa USA and Proctor…now that you don’t work with Glenn or Arizona Models.
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Last edited by 4075aaron; Mar 09, 2011 at 05:50 PM.
Old Mar 09, 2011, 04:22 PM
Find More Posts by 4075aaron
United States, MD, Frostburg
Joined Aug 2008
1,477 Posts
Wait a minute...based on your original post about this, you put the order in about a month ago. Now we are up to seven weeks?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberst View Post
Hi Carey, Building patients is a little different than waiting over a month for something he said he was going to mail out, and then waiting another 3 weeks without hearing from him, even after shooting him a few Emails asking him what was going on.

I'm rebuilding and modifying a 15-20 year old Discontinued- Great Planes .60 Fokker DR1. I started it last July 15, 2010 to be exact. So I do have patience.

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10038870/tm.htm

I don't think I'm the only one who would want to wait a month or more for a few parts, and not hear anything from the supplier.

What got me going is he told me 2 weeks into this that he'd already had my order packaged? And last night I asked what was up with it, and he just sends my money back with no explaination of mentioning why he did it.

When I ordered from Proctor Models, my orders went out as soon as he got it, and I got my order in 4 business days. Proctors is a 1 man operation, why couldn't Glenn have done the same? I gave Glenn a chance, he blew it.

I don't think I'm being unreasonable here,

Pete
4075aaron is offline Find More Posts by 4075aaron
Old Mar 09, 2011, 05:44 PM
Find More Posts by TomCrump
ARFs Are Me
Traverse City, Michigan
Joined Dec 2005
13,298 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oberst View Post

A few of them even came in here from RCU and Posted in this thread continuing to throw insults.(No names being mentioned)

By the way of the reaction I got, I guess I might be the first to be unhappy with Glenn Torrance. I Posted the warning up, because if he does this again, believe me- you won't be just reading it from me.

Pete
It may interest you to know, that I didn't follow you over here. I joined 4 years before you, and I post almost daily.

You, on the other hand, seldom frequent this site. What is your purpose for being here today ? Is it to bash a respected supplier ? To carry on a vendetta against this supplier ???

Also, I'm curious as to what you mean by " if he does this again, believe me-you won't be just reading it from me."

Are you threatening Mr. Torrence ? Are you threatening those of us who disagree with you ?

Please elaborate on your statement.
TomCrump is offline Find More Posts by TomCrump
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:35 PM
Find More Posts by cooper998
Nothing like a good WOODIE!
USA, DE, Newark
Joined Jun 2005
1,719 Posts
I frequent several forums and always laugh when somebody starts a thread with a warning then tells us not to deal with specific manufacturers.
I have done plenty of business with many companies online and by phone and can safely say the list of bad vendors can be counted on one hand and still have plenty of fingers left over.
When I was wronged by a vendor I did not tell the world not to do business with them instead I followed all avenues available to me to correct the issue and I came to an agreement with the company that satisfied both of us.

GTM is a reputable business in my opinion and I will continue to do business with them in the future.

Unfortunately you can't please everyone no matter how hard you try

Tony
cooper998 is offline Find More Posts by cooper998
Old Mar 09, 2011, 07:41 PM
Find More Posts by destrat
Joined Apr 2009
136 Posts
Oberst:

Mellow out man! Glen is one of the most respected guy's in scale circles. I have dealt with him for years and he is always fair and square. You can't wait a month for a part from Glen due to an unseen circumstance by your admission, my friend go back to flying ARF's, you do not have the patience to build scale! What's a month when most of my projects take upwards of a year to complete.

No need to bad mouth Glen.

Dan
destrat is offline Find More Posts by destrat