SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:52 AM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,646 Posts
My Bud had the AR6100e combined with the Esky gyro installed on his BOL with the DX6i. He's had nothing but trouble with it. We are still trying to figure it out. BTW, I just learned that the DX6i settings will change unannounced It did it with his and it did it with mine. On his, it gave him a second set of mix on the "Mix 2" and, on mine, it changed the timer from "Throttle Cut" to the "Trainer" switch and counted "UP" for my Champ...how weird is that? I was told to back out and shut down between settings to insure the settings take. And here I was complaining that for the money, Blade could have at least given you a back light

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 25, 2012, 06:28 PM
Professional heli wrecker
United States, WA, Spokane
Joined Oct 2010
4,275 Posts
Well, here it is. I know this isn't pretty. But dang, it works! I hogged out and lightened a set of plastic 500 skids and mounted them on there after breaking yet another set of my 450 skids showing off to my son this last weekend. I was thinking he would be able to finally fly this thing with an easier to manage skid width. I finally broke down and mounted up my 1000ma 45c nanos after taking the Xt60s off and soldering in regular small batt leads in place after one of my 900ma batts died on its 400th cycle. The new batts brought this heli alive.

The extra power, and additional weight under the cog allows me to do full on 50 to 60 deg banks without the dreaded roll back or death roll. And when it does get into a hard lean I just throttle out of it now without the heli flying or death diveing out of control. I swear I now have hours and hours of 14min flights and I am punishing this thing. I did find out I can get the blades to tap if I wag the heli side to side violently under ft. But that is about it. It had set gathering dust for almost 8 weeks before the changeover while I was flying the double brushless modded stretched mcpx until it developed some issues.

Also, now with the added weight, the wind isn't much of an issue. One thing to note though, I had to open up the canopy to get some air moving through the motors. After this things ran quite well. I am pretty sure this heli hits 30+mph in fff. And instead of panicking when I hit a corner I muscle right through it as if I were flying a plane. Just bank it hard, hit the throttle and listen to the blades pound the air as it leans way over and picks up even more speed. As it is coming out of the bank, where the older version would be sliding sideways into the turf, I just ease off the throttle and let it settle into fff. Never ever thought I would be posting anything like this, and right now I would kill for a vidcam as I know no one will believe me. But it seems the extra weight underneath keeps it from rolling over! And allows it to transition along with the flybar. (shortened of coarse, with dual control links). I did cave in the canopy when I first got going as it got away from me as I wasn't used to all the power yet. So far the skids are holding up really well. Pretty much the entire drivetrain is skytec from E2, along with his custom outer shaft that I just cannot seem to bend no matter what I throw at it.

No fancy grips, just the stock lamas with E2s stiffeners, and china white cheapo blades.
MH frame with the velcro mod on a lama batt tray frame, 500 skids with 5mm shortened CF tubes, T250 canopy, Extreme CF boom mod, OlliW gyromixer, Turnigy 10a escs and 1800-2900 motors, 3s 1000ma 45c nano packs. Skytec drivetrain. Lama grips, E2 stiffeners.

I am in just from going through 3 packs and posting as they are charging up. Honest to God, this thing finally flies almost like a true heli. But refuses to go inverted. lollz.
Luvmyhelis is online now Find More Posts by Luvmyhelis
Old Sep 25, 2012, 10:44 PM
Epilepsy Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,646 Posts
Looks nice Luv
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:42 PM
United States, TX, Huntsville
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
nice heli Luvmyhelis. I'm working on some comixers and maybe going to try a gyromixer soon
sonnier00 is offline Find More Posts by sonnier00
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:56 AM
Denver, CO
Joined Mar 2009
383 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
I thought you were doing a brushless set up? Xtreme motors are not brushless.
I still haven't been able to get the brushless motors to work properly. I've tried both the GA250 gyromixer, and a dionysus mixer, and can't get either mixer to work correctly.

I must be doing something wrong, somewhere.
JDFiend is offline Find More Posts by JDFiend
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:57 AM
Joined Oct 2010
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnier00 View Post
nice heli Luvmyhelis. I'm working on some comixers and maybe going to try a gyromixer soon
Keep us posted! Modding and flying is what this is all about now that they are basically discontinued. I have to say the OlliW gyromixer has really come alive for me in this latest version. The tail is just locked in. I can run it sideways all the way across the property and still have the tail aimed exactly in the same direction as when I started. FFF is still odd as in straightforward pointed nose the heli will eventually slow and take a moment before screaming on. But dip it at a slight LH angle and hit Ft and it just gets scary fast. And oddly I can do insane LH banks at ft, but RH banks only work at half the speed. Something to do with the directional rotation of the blades.

With the Vtail arduino and the GA250 the heli flew well. But it stayed slightly twitchy and tempermental. With the Gyromixer it raises the bar and I am now convinced the vtail system cannot compete at this level. I wish I had some $$, I would darn near kill to see what this new setup would do with the motors E2 picked up in his collection a while back. Lots of torque potential.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 06:14 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,940 Posts
Great stuff, Luv!!
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Sep 27, 2012, 04:05 PM
Joined Oct 2010
4,275 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDFiend View Post
I still haven't been able to get the brushless motors to work properly. I've tried both the GA250 gyromixer, and a dionysus mixer, and can't get either mixer to work correctly.

I must be doing something wrong, somewhere.
Hop on the vtail thread, and post exactly what your setup is. How it is wired, programmed, and setup. I haven't met a brushless system as of yet that has defeated me. Well, a few were corrupt. But if the products are functioning properly we will get you up in the air!
LMH
Old Sep 30, 2012, 10:52 PM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Just thought I'ed hop over here and brag Olliw and I got my comixer working I do thank Olliw for all the help and persistence and patience with me.
But one of the C10 motors fried, it shorted on the wire and coils on the motor. I got about 4 C10s that have no leads now. I think that will be the last C10 for me. any one know if there is some one that can fix them I'm going to try the 1811 just don't know the Kv to use and if the shaft is long enough to use? I under stand they work on 2s or 3s
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:03 PM
It flies!!! ... so who cares ?
Joined Mar 2009
9,694 Posts
Quote:
Just thought I'ed hop over here and brag Olliw and I got my comixer working I do thank Olliw for all the help and persistence and patience with me.
But one of the C10 motors fried, it shorted on the wire and coils on the motor. I got about 4 C10s that have no leads now. I think that will be the last C10 for me. any one know if there is some one that can fix them I'm going to try the 1811 just don't know the Kv to use and if the shaft is long enough to use? I under stand they work on 2s or 3s
To all I remember, the main problem with the 1811's in general was that it is not a drop in motor like the C10 - you will need to drill new holes, because the 1811 motor mount is like a tripod if I remember correctly.
Congrats that you got your bird working with Olli ...
erdnuckel2 is offline Find More Posts by erdnuckel2
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Tools, Tools, Tools ...
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:08 PM
Joined Oct 2011
202 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erdnuckel2 View Post
To all I remember, the main problem with the 1811's in general was that it is not a drop in motor like the C10 - you will need to drill new holes, because the 1811 motor mount is like a tripod if I remember correctly.
Congrats that you got your bird working with Olli ...
thanks I sent you pm guess i should have done it here.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:43 PM
Joined Mar 2009
9,694 Posts
Quote:
thanks I sent you pm guess i should have done it here.
And I answered ...
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:28 AM
OlliW
Joined Sep 2009
1,888 Posts
isn't it also that the C10 have aluminum wires instead of copper? (Al is very brittle...)

turnigy 1811 2900 KV

at 2S with a 8 tooth pinion it is maybe a bit too weak to power around for a full modded bird (I have a light lama V4 of ca 200g and with these motors it can lift only about 80g)
a 9tooth pinion might do well thought
and you always have the option of 3S...

don't get the 3X00 KV

my 2 cents
OlliW is offline Find More Posts by OlliW
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:02 AM
Hilton (Rochester), NY
Joined Mar 2008
9,940 Posts
How readily available are 2MM pinions? I haven't read about guys changing them, so, I don't remember how/ where to get them. Luv changed out the bases on my 1811's to the base for the C-10's. Again, I don't think my heli was heavy, but it would not lift on 2S and was barely adequate on 3S when using the C-10's. Going a little bigger on the motors and ESC's seemed to do the trick.
kodak_jack is offline Find More Posts by kodak_jack
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:35 AM
Joined Mar 2009
9,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by OlliW View Post
isn't it also that the C10 have aluminum wires instead of copper? (Al is very brittle...)

turnigy 1811 2900 KV

at 2S with a 8 tooth pinion it is maybe a bit too weak to power around for a full modded bird (I have a light lama V4 of ca 200g and with these motors it can lift only about 80g)
a 9tooth pinion might do well thought
and you always have the option of 3S...

don't get the 3X00 KV

my 2 cents
moin Olli ... do you think Ralf would agree ( regarding the 3x00 ... ) ?? ...
RCG Plus Member