SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:03 AM
Flying Dutchman!
robertboxhoorn's Avatar
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
368 Posts
Had a Great day yesterday :-)

A classmate give me an scorpion hkii2221-6 for free the only thing need to do is replace the bearings.

My voodoo is coming closer but first there is coming a zwoandrittl in 80% to build.
The servo's and battery's are coming my way and its time to learn to fly fast before I by a voodoo so I've flown a Lott with an 120watt mini viper jet and now it's time to build a real speeder before I'm buy the fast guy

Time to build and I'll tell you when my voodoo is at home
robertboxhoorn is offline Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:21 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Hi all
I've just build My voodoo, took 3 nights To get all My Gear into it, this is a very small plane.
I'm running this setup:
Mega 16/15/2
60amp turnigy plush esc
1600mah 35c 3s Hyperion
Apc 4.1x4.1
It is quit fast but I'm looking for a bit more speed any suggestions?
Can I go up in size of the prop? I live in Sweden so it's quite cold here
What is the speed record for the voodoo?
Best regards Henrik
Japac is offline Find More Posts by Japac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
Registered User
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
715 Posts
Henrik. How did you manage to squeeze all that in, do you have a pic?
/Håkan
hakank is offline Find More Posts by hakank
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:46 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Håkan:
It was a tight fit, I had to solder the capacitators off the esc and put wires on them to extend them, so they can sit under the esc so the motor and esc sits in the nose of the plane and the battery sits under the wing. I can take some pictures tomorrow.
Japac is offline Find More Posts by Japac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:44 PM
Drinks Day Old Expired Milk
VooDoo Child's Avatar
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Aug 2010
2,834 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japac View Post
Hi all
I've just build My voodoo, took 3 nights To get all My Gear into it, this is a very small plane.
I'm running this setup:
Mega 16/15/2
60amp turnigy plush esc
1600mah 35c 3s Hyperion
Apc 4.1x4.1
It is quit fast but I'm looking for a bit more speed any suggestions?
Can I go up in size of the prop? I live in Sweden so it's quite cold here
What is the speed record for the voodoo?
Best regards Henrik
If that is the case,a Lipo Warmer should help
VooDoo Child is offline Find More Posts by VooDoo Child
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:33 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
If that is the case,a Lipo Warmer should help
LOL the lipo is around 40-45*C when I'm finshed flying and I allways have Them In my pocket to warm Them abit ;-)
Japac is offline Find More Posts by Japac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:44 AM
Registered User
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by VooDoo Child View Post
If that is the case,a Lipo Warmer should help
Picked one up the other week from HK including the heater system. But I guess it's a bit overkill in Florida
hakank is offline Find More Posts by hakank
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 01:51 AM
Registered User
Sweden (Åkersberga)
Joined Nov 2004
715 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japac View Post
Håkan:
It was a tight fit, I had to solder the capacitators off the esc and put wires on them to extend them, so they can sit under the esc so the motor and esc sits in the nose of the plane and the battery sits under the wing. I can take some pictures tomorrow.
I see. And no issues with the thickness of the lipo pack? Or did you move out the servos to the wing? I'm using a 1800mAh 2 cell pack and I thought squeezing in something thicker would just not work. On the other hand I can only manage wot bursts of 2-3 secunds so I'm OK with the speed I'm using a HET Typhoon EDF 2W with a KV of 4600 and a 4.75 x 4.75 APC.

/Håkan
hakank is offline Find More Posts by hakank
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:00 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Std mounting servo's I use D47, but I have bend the linkage on the wing abit to get more room, battery fits but I had to use bullet connectors.
Japac is offline Find More Posts by Japac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:09 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hakank View Post
I see. And no issues with the thickness of the lipo pack? Or did you move out the servos to the wing? I'm using a 1800mAh 2 cell pack and I thought squeezing in something thicker would just not work. On the other hand I can only manage wot bursts of 2-3 secunds so I'm OK with the speed I'm using a HET Typhoon EDF 2W with a KV of 4600 and a 4.75 x 4.75 APC.

/Håkan
Okay then you have Almost the same motor as me, the het motor is good, I have a 2w30 in my funjet :-)
I would love if there where a 4.1x4.5, 4.2x4.5 or a 4.1x4.7
I Think I saw one runing a 4.7x4.7 on 3s but I'm not sure it will hold up, I don't run fuld throttel All the time bit about 15 sek, then I glide love the sound this plane makes when gliding
Japac is offline Find More Posts by Japac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:23 AM
Crashing into the sky!
jackosmeister's Avatar
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,389 Posts
Cut down some props, ie 4.7x4.7 to a 4x4.7, just balance them very well and check temps

Im impressed you want to go faster than a 16/15/2 on 3S... thats a damn fast setup for a lil plane. You sure your setup is running healthily? your getting ~38k rpm with the 4.1x4.1?
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:30 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2011
59 Posts
It's fast no doubt about that, but still want abit more :-)
My funjet with a 36mm motor did run 304km/h on gps, but it torq rolls like mad. The voodoo is much better plane, but would like to get around the same speed
I have to mesure my rpm's.
Do you have any advice on how to Cut a prop?
Japac is offline Find More Posts by Japac
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:44 AM
I am actually really slow
SlowBarless's Avatar
Brisbane
Joined Jun 2008
969 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Japac View Post
It's fast no doubt about that, but still want abit more :-)
My funjet with a 36mm motor did run 304km/h on gps, but it torq rolls like mad. The voodoo is much better plane, but would like to get around the same speed
I have to mesure my rpm's.
Do you have any advice on how to Cut a prop?
Not sure a voodoo is going to like being above 300kph, Im not sure though, might have to tape the aileron tips to avoid flutter.

To cut a prop down. Mark the tips so you know how much material you want to cut off, chop with some sharp scissors or a knife, then sand the rest down to shape. Best to keep the tips fairly square, dont go sharpening it to a point if that makes sense, the APCs are not strong enough to support a prop with sharp tips, so keep em square! Might want to thin out the airfoil at the tip slightly also.

In the end its alot of work only to break them on the very first landing (has happened so many times ) I have a 4.2x4.75 here that ive choped down I was going to do moulds for and make full carbon versions. But It never got the interest to make it worth while.

I suggest finding a motor/prop combination that works with off the shelf props. Will save you alot of time.
SlowBarless is offline Find More Posts by SlowBarless
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Carbon Fiber up close
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:32 AM
Crashing into the sky!
jackosmeister's Avatar
Auckland NZ
Joined Aug 2007
7,389 Posts
I use a pair of vernier, one leg in the hub, one on the blade, just make a scratch on the blade where you want to cut it, presto both blades the same (make sure you do it on the back of the hub not the front with the goofy hole)

You should be pulling ~55A on 3S with that setup, it should feel a crap load faster than the funjet, itll do ~170mph, more in a dive.
jackosmeister is online now Find More Posts by jackosmeister
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:40 AM
Flying Dutchman!
robertboxhoorn's Avatar
Nederland, FL, Emmeloord
Joined Sep 2011
368 Posts
A scorpion hkii2221 Will fit i found photos of it!

On the scorpion calc it seas it can run an 4.7x5.5apc at 70. Amp but is there a lipo who can handle it? When you use an 4.7x4.7 you get 63amp out of it.
Any more powerfull suggesties??



Yes it's crashed but it has flown good and fast. :-)
robertboxhoorn is offline Find More Posts by robertboxhoorn
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion New Pylon Racer dalbert02 Electric Plane Talk 2 Sep 22, 2006 10:19 PM
Discussion New pylon racer.. whatcha think? threcixty High Performance 7 Jul 31, 2006 12:10 AM
Spirit 400, my new pylon racer! Thomas Manson Parkflyers 2 Aug 31, 2003 09:07 PM
New pylon racer launch system sneu High Performance 5 Feb 13, 2003 05:22 AM
T-Strike, a new pylon racer! Harm Botman High Performance 15 Jan 25, 2002 07:26 PM