SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 24, 2014, 09:49 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Pleasant Valley Modelport
Joined Sep 2006
8,877 Posts
Question
Safety Benches ?

Do I need to tie the tail down on a high wing tail dragger on a standard safety bench ? Do they chafe the leading edges ?
And other than a rope loop over the fuselage at the tail and passing under each Hstab 1/2, any good ways to tie a 1.20 sized plane down for startup and adjust the mixture ?
I really don't expect to be where I am long enough to build a safety bench.
Tanks
Chophop is offline Find More Posts by Chophop
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2014, 07:07 AM
USA, OK, Warr Acres
Joined Feb 2004
537 Posts
Sorry I don't have a picture for you but I use a "fork" that goes in the ground about a foot and then holds the stabilizer on both sides, on planes much larger than .120.
Mine swivels back for easy release, but you could just pick the plane up off of it as well. Very safe and secure as long as you have throttle control and don't leave your Tx hanging from your neck! It goes with me wherever I fly.
Jim
mosquitowings is offline Find More Posts by mosquitowings
Old Sep 26, 2014, 10:59 AM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,877 Posts
I managed it ok last night, put a loop of nylon cord around a fence post, put a thick rag over the fuselage at the vertical stabilizer, looped the cord under the hstab. Next I put a 1 1/2 inch square rod of wood behind the wheels after pulling the cord tension up.
No lurches or backward rolls from flipping the prop.
The safety bench would be better for me now , so I can stand up and keep better balance.
This situation is an important part of flying a gasser, safely starting and adjusting the mixture.
Old Sep 26, 2014, 04:53 PM
USA, TX, Grapevine
Joined Dec 2008
13,350 Posts
Well I have a few planes where you cannot use a fork staked into the ground on the tail. They basically have very little stationary horizontal stab to them, or they are quite fragile in that area. So I have to either use the fork on the wing to hold the plane or some sort of a tie down around the whole rear stab.

Now with the big planes you need a fork hold back device that is more tall and stronger so it can fit and hold a big gasser. But even a tail tie down is risky as some of these planes have a lot of pull when the engine is going WOT and they can pull the tail off on you. It is best to have someone else standing by too, just in case. Those big gasser engines are quite scary when adjusting the needles on the carb too. Those big props are just itching to eat some fingers, arms or legs etc.
earlwb is offline Find More Posts by earlwb
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: My new Gaui X5 Rc Helicopter
Old Sep 26, 2014, 05:15 PM
Radiodel-hooooo
Joined Sep 2006
8,877 Posts
Yes, my reason for bringing up the word safety bench. An absolute must.
A plywood T slot can be made at the tail, insert a dowel with the rope attached at the forward facing T top, pull it back towards the tail, and if it doesn't pull the tail off, it ain't goin no where.