HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 23, 2014, 05:53 PM
AMA#313760
United States, MI, Taylor
Joined May 2009
745 Posts
Hi Don,

A ways back you were making rivets and I hope you find this of use. For making rivets I use 1-1/4 Ounce CLEAR Bottles made by Gaunt industries.

Link here:http://www.gauntindustries.com

They have all kinds of sizes of needle's that go on the bottles. really helps with the right size to scale rivets and I use 560 glue. Bigger size rivets I use tiebond mixed with elmer's glue but most times 560 works best.

John
JLogan is offline Find More Posts by JLogan
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 23, 2014, 08:17 PM
Love my scale Whirlybirds
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Thanks for the tips and the link. I found that for the work I did, the 560 worked great but what I should have paid more attention to was how the rivets looked on the horizontal tails. That glue came from East Coast Vario, originally developed (or found) by the late Al Wert of Starwood Models fame. It is a lot thicker and can make extremely small rivets from the little experience I had using it. When I finally ruin all the syringes I have, I'll look into those bottles and tips.

Don
Keyrigger is offline Find More Posts by Keyrigger
Old Oct 23, 2014, 10:59 PM
AMA#313760
Joined May 2009
745 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyrigger View Post
Thanks for the tips and the link. I found that for the work I did, the 560 worked great but what I should have paid more attention to was how the rivets looked on the horizontal tails. That glue came from East Coast Vario, originally developed (or found) by the late Al Wert of Starwood Models fame. It is a lot thicker and can make extremely small rivets from the little experience I had using it. When I finally ruin all the syringes I have, I'll look into those bottles and tips.

Don
I've used that same kit before and I found out that the bottles allow me better control over the size of the rivets no need to push on the handle from the syringes which can some times push way to much glue out,

John
Old Nov 16, 2014, 01:42 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
mligosh:

I did get down to Florida and attended the Fall Classic at the Triple Creek Club. It was a fun fly for those with 3D and Scale helicopters but a contest for those that fly FAI-F3C precision. There was always someone up in the air and with two 3D/Scale flight lines available, there was never a wanting for someplace to fly. This event was a sanctioned contest so those that were trying to find a place to get points could attend during the cool of the fall, and it was perfect, in my estimation. My wife and I will be thinking about changing our plans next year so that we might attend their Watts Fest electric fun-fly, spend a while on the beach, and then hit the Fall Classic. We also went to the Sun 'n Fun Flight Museum in Lakeland and although small, it has some very interesting aircraft on display. I missed getting a tour of the restoration hanger but maybe next year on our way down. We had been to Dalton earlier in the year but missed the chance to see the Skunkworks at Unique Aircraft until this time down. There are some very cool aircraft, both rotary and fixed wing, that are in the works there and as always, Darrell is a gracious host. I saw lots of helicopters there, but all are too big for my small workshop and storage area. One day, some lottery ticket will solve that, lol. Take care.

Don
Old Nov 16, 2014, 02:30 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
While on the subject of the Fall Classic event, here are some pictures of my two helicopters there (taken by my wife) and of the pilots, helicopters, and clubhouse. It is one of the nicest flying fields I have been to so far. The view is nearly un-obstructed from east to west and those two palms visible in the FAI pictures, are two hundred yards away at the least. The transmitter towers are more than a mile away and look closer only because they are incredibly high. Enjoy.

Don
Old Nov 16, 2014, 11:29 PM
AMA#313760
Joined May 2009
745 Posts
Outnumbered 20 to 1 as always ROFL nice field and really nice scale helicopters

John
Old Nov 19, 2014, 04:37 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
I did some work with the two videos that my wife took. This was her first attempt at using any video recording device and her camera is not very big. In fact, it is a point and shoot stills that I gave her a very fast rundown on how to start and stop it. As you will soon see, she zoomed in and that was the end of it, kind of. I went through the video and pulled out some individual frames that were more than good enough to post and that show the CH-139 in regular flight as well as with the water bucket in operation. As soon as I get both videos where they will be quick to upload, I will post them here. Once again, these were taken at the Triple Creek Fall Classic in Riverview, Fla. Take care.

Don

PS: These have been cropped, resized, and colour corrected as they were very washed out in the video
Old Nov 19, 2014, 05:32 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Here is the first video.

Don

Fall Classic Water Demo (3 min 51 sec)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:08 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
The second video.

Don

CH 139 at the TCRC Fall Classic (6 min 43 sec)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 07:44 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2007
741 Posts
Nice Pics...Good to see some Videos of the JR in action...much better than watching 3d all day
justy g is online now Find More Posts by justy g
Old Nov 20, 2014, 03:10 PM
My other addiction!
Marysville, Ca., US
Joined Jan 2007
1,726 Posts
Great flying, Don. Have to agree with Justyg, much better than watching 3D. I wish more had an appreciation for how difficult it really is to fly in a truly scale fashion. The CH 139 looks fantastic in the air, as well as on the ground. Beautiful work.
norcalheli is online now Find More Posts by norcalheli
Old Nov 20, 2014, 05:44 PM
Mississauga, Ont., Can.
Joined Sep 2009
2,475 Posts
Thanks. I really appreciate it.

Don
Old Nov 22, 2014, 05:27 AM
New Smyrna Beach, FL
Joined Jun 2005
368 Posts
Don,

Great pictures and video. Glad your Florida trip turned out well. Need to get here for the Orlando Heli Blowout sometime too. December 5-7 this year. Not too many scalers, but hoping that grows. I really like the way the 139 turned out. Hoping to see it in person sometime. I'll have to plan on the drive over to the Fall Classic.

Mike
mligosh is online now Find More Posts by mligosh