HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 10, 2013, 02:28 PM
Old age is not for sissies
Dayton Intl, Ohio, United States
Joined Jan 2000
7,985 Posts
The OP is flying a 500 class heli and has a bunch of sim time. There should be little problem transitioning to an airplane.

Azarr
Azarr is offline Find More Posts by Azarr
to remove ads between posts
Old May 10, 2013, 02:37 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2012
306 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot View Post
My two cents: A 3D airplane set up with mild control throws and a forward-ish balance point can be just as easy to fly as a T28 with the added advantage that it will fly slower.

TP
This is why I was thinking about the Edge 540, I can "tune" it down in my radio with DR/Expo and ATR (travel limits). The performance available in the 540 and with it tuned down means that the plane can grow with my ability with out needing to buy another model.

I am comfortable enough with the rudder and want full control of the model.
This may prove to me that my confidence in my skills are as good as I think they are or they will prove to me that I'm still a n00b and need more stick time.

Quote:
Really? The OP has never flown a real RC plane and you recommend a warbird??? Let's get this guy back down to earth shall we.

To the OP, try to find an inexpensive RTF plane like the HobbyZone Champ, Ares Gamma 370 or Hobbyzone Firebird Stratos and learn on that. Seek the help of a mentor or an instructor to help you along. Sims do not present the whole picture and can be very inaccurate as to airplane setup. Forget 3D for now and learn how to keep an RC plane in the air without crashing. The planes I listed can help get you to that point. Heli experience is a plus, but will not help you much with the most crucial part of RC flight................the landing.

I have not purchased a model YET, I will look at the ones you listed and you are 100% correct, the worst part of my flying is the landing. Once it's in the air my Heli experience pay's dividend's. I have no issues with circles, figure 8's, flying towards me or away from me.

Agreed that the SIM is very different from the real world but the controls are the same. The SIM also gives me a sense of the timing needed to fly.

In the past few days I have been looking at the scratch build threads and I think that is pretty cool! Take a week or three and build a plane out of foam. Install the power system and control system and go fly. If the thing gets crushed, build another and move over the power and control systems.

I flew my mcpx for a month while I built my T500efl. between all my Heli's (T500, MiniP, 130x) I have logged 1354 flights and I had two crashes. Both where mechanical failures and not a stupid move on my part... Well the mcpx and 130 have hit the grass a few time during orientation training in the beginning, I have never plowed any of my models into the ground.

FYI - I am an AMA member (992874)
jmisuraca is online now Find More Posts by jmisuraca
Old May 10, 2013, 03:34 PM
I'm flying ! (run for cover)
Greece, South Aegean, Thira
Joined Nov 2004
727 Posts
I would suggest a 3d foamie biplane, possibly profile fuselage, for the following reasons:
1. Its easier to make and more durable than a balsa edge 540 (although admittedly it does not look as good)
2. Its slower and easier to land
3. Since you are interested in scratchbuilding, you will get a lot of ideas from a flat profile airplane. And they are quite easy to duplicate (but not trivial).
dtrip is offline Find More Posts by dtrip
Old May 10, 2013, 04:12 PM
Joined Dec 2012
36 Posts
I'm also a heli pilot interested in getting a plane. My thread is down a couple First Plane for Heli Pilot. I fly a 500ESP.

I flew a buddies 3D foamie and was able to do loops, rolls, and figure 8's. I handed the controls back for the landing! He had expereince with a Heli pilot and said it would appear the heli skills transfer over to planes. He recommended I stay away from a trainer. He thought I would be bored.

He recommended and I bought a TechOne Swift ARF for about $100. The price was very appealing. The build took a week. If I built another one it would take a couple of hours.

I'm maidening my Swift this weekend. I've been working in landings in the sim. The field I'll fly the Swift at has some long grass good for soft landings. I use it first and then the runway.
Ronm3313 is offline Find More Posts by Ronm3313
Old May 10, 2013, 06:37 PM
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Dec 2012
306 Posts
I think I'm going with the following. Although it may take 6 weeks to get, I think it will be a good flier.

I'm open to changes if anyone feels there is something I should include to swap out.

Thanks again for all the help

1x 095000022 - Sbach 342 EPP 3D Airplane with Brushless Motor and Propeller 900mm (ARF)
1x HKz30A - HobbyKing 30A BlueSeries Brushless Speed Controller
1x R620 - OrangeRx R620 Spektrum/JR DSM2 Compatible Full Range 6Ch 2.4Ghz Receiver w/Failsafe
4x 9378000001 - Turnigy XGD-9 Digital Micro Servo 1.9kg / 9g / 0.11
2x ZC.1000.3S.35 - ZIPPY Compact 1000mAh 3S 35C Lipo Pack

TOTAL: $99.29 1600g
jmisuraca is online now Find More Posts by jmisuraca
Old May 11, 2013, 10:43 AM
TEAM EXTREME FLIGHT
USA, FL, Largo
Joined Dec 2005
17,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tepid Pilot View Post
My two cents: A 3D airplane set up with mild control throws and a forward-ish balance point can be just as easy to fly as a T28 with the added advantage that it will fly slower.
We have done this with several different planes, and this article is aimed directly at T28, Mini Pulse and Mini Ultra Stick pilots..........

I'm guessing that people would rather see video evidence before they invest the time to read the whole report. Here's my Extra EXP Sport, with, you guessed it, the Sport Set Up. This is the plane that appeared in the article, and set up like the pictures in the article show. There is nothing fancy here in the set up. You simply set the servo arms and ball links up like the photos show, add 30% expo and go fly it.

Note: Bloopers are after the final credits.

Doc Austin is online now Find More Posts by Doc Austin
Last edited by Doc Austin; May 11, 2013 at 12:23 PM.
Old May 19, 2013, 08:26 AM
Joined Feb 2012
205 Posts
I got one easy plane I'd sell you. It's so simple to fly and it's home made.if want to see a picture just let me know
mensite is offline Find More Posts by mensite