HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:00 PM
United States, MO, Springfield
Joined Dec 2009
347 Posts
Discussion
swap meet find.....LA 1

Went to a swap meet this weekend and came away with some nice stuff at some very good prices. Perhaps the best one though is this plane that I bought. I believe it is a LA 1 pattern plane. It has an OS 61 RF installed with a macs header and tuned pipe. It has some supra retracts installed and hitec servos as well. The only think missing with this plane was a receiver and receiver battery, otherwise it is ready to fly. I will probably going through this though and checking everything and probably switching the servos out for digitals. I only gave $110 bucks for this plane. Some pictures below.
bpink43 is online now Find More Posts by bpink43
Last edited by bpink43; Feb 10, 2013 at 11:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:38 PM
Jim Johns
United States, AL, Dutton
Joined Jan 2013
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpink43 View Post
Went to a swap meet this weekend and came away with some nice stuff at some very good prices. Perhaps the best one though is this plane that I bought. I believe it is a L1 A pattern plane. It has an OS 61 RF installed with a macs header and tuned pipe. It has some supra retracts installed and hitec servos as well. The only think missing with this plane was a receiver and receiver battery, otherwise it is ready to fly. I will probably going through this though and checking everything and probably switching the servos out for digitals. I only gave $110 bucks for this plane. Some pictures below.
What a find!!!! BTW - it's actually called an LA-1, designed by Geoff Combs and named for Geoff's wife, Laural Ann. When it's trimmed properly, it will knife edge from horizon to horizon with ease. You'll love it.!
ReelDoc is offline Find More Posts by ReelDoc
Old Feb 10, 2013, 11:45 PM
Joined Dec 2009
347 Posts
Reel Doc, thanks for the information and the correction with the name. I have updated the thread with the correct name. I hope it will be a nice flyer, sounds like it will be, I was thinking it was a 90 size when I first saw it but was surprised to find the 61 OS in it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:01 AM
Jim Johns
Joined Jan 2013
180 Posts
Does it have a one piece wing? If so, it's an LA-1. If it's a 2 piece wing with a wing tube it's an LA-2. The removable canopy was on the LA-2, so that's what confused me.

BTW - I flew my LA-1 with an OS61RF-P and it flew great.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:02 AM
United States, IL
Joined Dec 2011
89 Posts
It is not a LA-1 as the LA-1 has a one piece wing. It is a LA-2 as it has the plug in wings.

Mark
tiporare is offline Find More Posts by tiporare
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:03 AM
Jim Johns
Joined Jan 2013
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiporare View Post
It is not a LA-1 as the LA-1 has a one piece wing. It is a LA-2 as it has the plug in wings.

Mark
I stand corrected, Mark. I can see the wing tube under the wooden crossmember between the two sets of servos when I look really closely. The center mounted retract servo is also a dead giveaway. Regardless, it's a GREAT flying airplane. Sorry for the mis-identification on the first go around. I plead a long day and tired old eyes.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:05 AM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
LA-2 is a great plane as I flew both the LA1 and LA2 and I know where the molds are if you need parts or want another.

Scott
patternpilot1 is offline Find More Posts by patternpilot1
Old Feb 11, 2013, 10:12 AM
Joined Dec 2009
347 Posts
You guys are right! It does have the two piece wings with the wing tube. So it is a LA-2, I am looking forward to going through this plane and getting it ready for a good first flight. I was thinking of replacing the Supra retracts with some spring air retracts. Anyway, looking forward to it.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 11:10 AM
Jim Johns
Joined Jan 2013
180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpink43 View Post
You guys are right! It does have the two piece wings with the wing tube. So it is a LA-2, I am looking forward to going through this plane and getting it ready for a good first flight. I was thinking of replacing the Supra retracts with some spring air retracts. Anyway, looking forward to it.
Do yourself a huge favor - DON'T DO IT!!!!! The mechanical retracts are bulletproof and way too easy to use. As Dave Brown used to say about his Southern Pro mechanical retracts - "If the radio works, the retracts work. If the radio doesn't work, it doesn't matter." Besides, they look cool retracting slowly and gracefully into the wing instead of snapping up super quickly IMHO.

One suggestion - replace the snap on ball links with a couple of these Sullivan 2-56 Quick Release Ball Links ( http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXFV39&P=7 ). They make hooking and unhooking the retract linkage a snap.
Last edited by ReelDoc; Feb 11, 2013 at 03:54 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 12:03 PM
Joined Dec 2009
347 Posts
ReelDoc,
Thanks for the suggestion with the quick release ball links, I will definately look into that. Man it seems like I have so many things on my plate right now with kits to build/finish building and then new planes as this one to get ready. Lots to do but just cant help myself when I find a good deal.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:16 PM
United States, IL
Joined Dec 2011
89 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ReelDoc View Post
I stand corrected, Mark. I can see the wing tube under the wooden crossmember between the two sets of servos when I look really closely. The center mounted retract servo is also a dead giveaway. Regardless, it's a GREAT flying airplane. Sorry for the mis-identification on the first go around. I plead a long day and tired old eyes.
Doc, Glad to have you aboard. Both the LA-1 and LA-2 are great planes. The LA-2 is just a modded LA-1 for more adjust-ability if one was to put wing adjusters in. I know all about the long days and tired eyes.
tiporare is offline Find More Posts by tiporare
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:41 PM
USA, TN, Knoxville
Joined Oct 2004
372 Posts
Just my 2 cents the ball links on the current setup are fine i had about 600+ flights on my LA2 like that and never had a failure or a ball link pop off. Use to run DW props on LA2 OS 61 pumped long stroke and had a ton of power.

I sold it about 10 years ago in the SE and then a few years latter I saw it at a swap meet being sold.

s.
patternpilot1 is offline Find More Posts by patternpilot1