HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jul 24, 2012, 08:16 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Help!
"Fly Fish" Air Swimmers knock off?

I bought what was advertised as as an Air Swimmers shark through Amazon.com. What I actually got in the mail today is a "Fly Fish" brand knock off. As long as it works it's not worth the hassle for me to try and exchange it, but I can't find any reviews on this generic fish to know it it's any good. I did get it for less than MSRP($24 shipped instead of $40 and shipping). I'm trying to decide if I should return it and try to get a genuine Air Swimmers(as advertised, but will probably have to pay return shipping), or just play with it, but I can't find any info to know if it's any good. What would you recommend I do?
Bugman Jeff is offline Find More Posts by Bugman Jeff
Last edited by Bugman Jeff; Jul 24, 2012 at 08:43 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 25, 2012, 09:50 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Well, I contacted the seller asking for an exchange for a genuine Air Swimmers as advertised. The seller claimed they didn't know they were selling knock offs(sounds fishy, right?) But the seller has since pulled their add. On top of that, the seller apologized and entirely without my prompting, gave me a full refund, and told me I didn't need to return the knock off. It's refreshing to see this kind of customer service from a discount retailer.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 09:23 AM
Minneapolis, Minnesota
Joined Jul 2007
1,013 Posts
For future reference, who was the seller? Always good to know about a seller with a conscience!

So now you have the option of buying a REAL Air Swimmer and comparing the two. You could be the first to write up a functional comparison of the two.

Have fun!

Jay

p.s. With two, you could FIGHT 'em! (Am I the only one who's thought of this?)
Faethor is offline Find More Posts by Faethor
Old Jul 26, 2012, 08:27 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
The seller was "cosmetic4less". When I searched Amazon, they had the best price on the shark that was advertised as an Air Swimmer. I started putting it together last night. Within a few minutes, it was clear that the tape isn't good enough. Overnight, all the fins but the top one fell off, even the ones that had been taped over with the "U" shaped pieces. If I can actually maneuver it in my house(these are much bigger than the pictures make them look), I will pick up a genuine AS and do a comparison.

Can anyone recommend a good tape?
Old Jul 26, 2012, 10:27 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
I got the tape thing figured out. There's mold release or something on the balloon. I wiped the tape areas with rubbing alcohol, and the tape is sticking MUCH better now. It just takes a quick rub with the alcohol and a cotton ball or tissue. Don't wipe to hard or for to long, the ink will come off the balloon if you rub to much(it takes awhile, but it will come off...)

Speaking of tape and fins, the letters are wrong on the fins. The A, B, and C, don't correspond to the marks on the balloon. It's easy to figure out where they go since the lower fins are both the same, and the top fin is different.

The balance was WAY off with mine too. According to the instructions, at my altitude(about 900'), I should place the battery/receiver/dive mechanism at #3. In order to get the shark to actually nose down, I had to mount it a full 6" further forward. If I had to guess, I'd say that the knock off uses lighter plastic or smaller components in the dive mechanism.

Got it balanced, and neutrally buoyant and took it for a spin. My living room is just barely big enough(the BH B-17 hanging from the ceiling doesn't help ) Control seems good, although I don't have the room for a range test. It does glitch if I fly directly over my floor lamp, but I suppose that's to be expected with an IR system.
Last edited by Bugman Jeff; Jul 26, 2012 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 11:01 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
And battle fish sound like fun
Old Aug 21, 2012, 10:51 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Just an update. So far so good with the Fly Fish. I still have the occasional tape spot fall off, the high stress tape joints I taped over with packaging tape, that seemed to help. I'm not sure how long the genuine Air Swimmers last, but my fish lasted about 2 weeks before it wouldn't float enough to fly and needed to be topped off with helium.
Old Aug 22, 2012, 04:53 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,783 Posts
that seems about right. the metallicized nylon ballon (call mylar, but not mylar) does leak, as its next to impossible to make a *truely* gas tight bag. i messed with blimps and foil once and it lasted about a week and a half.

be aware, the helium is a non renewable resource found only in the US. some vendor mix helium with are to make it go further.
nemoskull is online now Find More Posts by nemoskull
Old Sep 26, 2012, 08:01 PM
Joined Sep 2012
1 Posts
Jeff,

I also today received a fake (Illegal) Copy of Air Swimmers (this one made in China not by Mark co. ) from the same buyer off Amazon. I am waiting on their reply and am demanding a full refund. They apparently have done this bait and switch to dozens coming from their reviews. I am going to file a complaint with amazon as this product is illegal and trash.

My son got a true Air swimmer for Xmas last year and the thing is still stable and works ease free. This new one was for a gift for his friend, no way will i gift it.
Lumpmysmama is offline Find More Posts by Lumpmysmama
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:07 PM
Build 'em break 'em fix 'em
Joined Oct 2009
439 Posts
Air fish and fakes

I got sold a fake at the mall also. A real "papa india sierra" to be sure.
I modded it out and it worked like a champ.
I suggest you get rid of the buoyancy mod and use the "sinker with a servo" mod. Works way cool.
Also use a small servo instead of that nasty one that comes stock with the fish. What a difference!
I did these mods ties into a stripped and lightened "Orange" HK receiver and I can operate my fish from my cool Spektrum DX7 xmitter.
chinaclipper63 is offline Find More Posts by chinaclipper63
Old Nov 16, 2012, 02:33 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
I got a knock off to before and I was so upset! Just have to be careful about what I order next time.. but has anyone heard about the new angry birds air swimmers? I saw their website www.angrybirdsairswimmers.com and thought it was pretty neat. Does anyone have these?
jbrian026 is offline Find More Posts by jbrian026
Old Nov 16, 2012, 08:20 PM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
No experience with them, but they are made by the same company that made the originals, so I'd think they will work well.
Old Nov 16, 2012, 11:49 PM
An Ordinary User
United States, VA, Fluvanna
Joined Jan 2011
1,265 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bugman Jeff View Post
Well, I contacted the seller asking for an exchange for a genuine Air Swimmers as advertised. The seller claimed they didn't know they were selling knock offs(sounds fishy, right?) But the seller has since pulled their add. On top of that, the seller apologized and entirely without my prompting, gave me a full refund, and told me I didn't need to return the knock off. It's refreshing to see this kind of customer service from a discount retailer.
I can think of other adjectives than "refreshing". My first thought is the seller knew they were fake, knew you were onto something, and wanted you to disappear. Give a full refund and the knockoff (probably a $10 loss) and keep selling to lots of other people. Buying your silence so to speak.

I really doubt that this seller was doing the honorable thing - apologizing to all the customers he scammed, seeing the error of his ways, and making amends. No, I think he made a payoff and kept going...
GooberSB is online now Find More Posts by GooberSB
Old Nov 17, 2012, 06:24 AM
I'm a Registered User
Evansville, WI
Joined Dec 2006
3,689 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by GooberSB View Post
I can think of other adjectives than "refreshing". My first thought is the seller knew they were fake, knew you were onto something, and wanted you to disappear. Give a full refund and the knockoff (probably a $10 loss) and keep selling to lots of other people. Buying your silence so to speak.

I really doubt that this seller was doing the honorable thing - apologizing to all the customers he scammed, seeing the error of his ways, and making amends. No, I think he made a payoff and kept going...
At this point, I completely agree with you. All my contact with the seller seemed genuine, looking through their store at the time, they clearly weren't in the RC business, and they did remove themselves from the sellers list under the genuine William Mark brand. All signs pointed to an inexperienced RC seller who'd made a mistake. Then, two months later, Lumpmysmama got a knock off from the same seller...
Old Nov 21, 2012, 04:42 PM
Joined Oct 2012
4 Posts
This video is hilarious..
Angry Birds Air Swimmers RC RIOT! (3 min 13 sec)
jbrian026 is offline Find More Posts by jbrian026