HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:15 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
The max recommended weight is 560gms(20oz) you are considerably over at 895(32oz). Im pretty amazed it flew as well as it did being a lightweight sport wing. My heavier wings fly best with the CG further foward than the recomended range. Also did you program in some expo? I normally start with 40% on the elevators and 30% on ailerons, and add or subtract from there. Trim any weight you can, smaller battery maybe? That big cloverleaf antenna looks pretty draggy and off center at that. Dont give up yet!
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:35 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Not trying to hack the thread, just as a BTW thing, if the wing doesnt work out I will be happy to post the dimensions to my stratch built FPV plane. Its an extremely fine flyer, slow and stable and basically stall proof. A great weight lifter also. I normally fly with 2) 2200 lipos one for the motor and one for thr FPV, but It will also easily fly with a 4000 for the main battery along with the other 2200. All this on a small 2217 motor.
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:43 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyitall. View Post
The max recommended weight is 560gms(20oz) you are considerably over at 895(32oz). Im pretty amazed it flew as well as it did being a lightweight sport wing. My heavier wings fly best with the CG further foward than the recomended range. Also did you program in some expo? I normally start with 40% on the elevators and 30% on ailerons, and add or subtract from there. Trim any weight you can, smaller battery maybe? That big cloverleaf antenna looks pretty draggy and off center at that. Dont give up yet!
I think you are right. At this weight, I don't think any additional CG adjustment would help. I had enough nose weight on it to cause a nose dive when the throttle was off. It required too much speed just to keep it in the air. I am going to strip the FPV gear off and try it at its intended weight to see how it performs. I think the airfoil, or lack thereof, prevents this from being a good FPV platform. I'm considering reshaping the airfoil by gluing some formers on the top of the wing and then skinning it with a thin sheet of foam. Or just gluing a KFM2 step on the top.
daronj is offline Find More Posts by daronj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:46 AM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyitall. View Post
Not trying to hack the thread, just as a BTW thing, if the wing doesnt work out I will be happy to post the dimensions to my stratch built FPV plane. Its an extremely fine flyer, slow and stable and basically stall proof. A great weight lifter also. I normally fly with 2) 2200 lipos one for the motor and one for thr FPV, but It will also easily fly with a 4000 for the main battery along with the other 2200. All this on a small 2217 motor.
I have built a number of twin boom pushers. Love them. I am very interested in seeing more of yours. How about creating a new thread for it. Got any more pics or videos?

Thanks-
daronj is offline Find More Posts by daronj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 06:10 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Thanks for the + comments! Probably wouldnt start a thread as there are a zillion FPV planes threaded. Just can assure you this is a great platform and a simple cheap build. The KFm2 provides plenty of lift and stability. There is something like $7.50 in the airframe. I built a prototype to test the concept, which I still have. I modded it to a KFm3, which flys very well, but like the 2 better for FPV. I will post a few more pics of the details if you want just dont want to badly side track the thread.
Will be building the Popwing 1200 in the next few days, and will post comments on that. I have built 3 KFm4 wings that fly great based on rdjays design. Wanted to try a commercially produced wing to see how they flew. Also wanted a bigger wing so hence the 1200. Will probably expand rdjays design to around the 1200 size also. Really love the way they fly. Had a Zagi years ago when the battery choice was nicad. Flew great but not long. The PW1200 looks like it could fly quite a while on a 2200 and maybe thermal if built lightly.
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 07, 2012, 10:11 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyitall. View Post
Thanks for the + comments! Probably wouldnt start a thread as there are a zillion FPV planes threaded. Just can assure you this is a great platform and a simple cheap build. The KFm2 provides plenty of lift and stability. There is something like $7.50 in the airframe. I built a prototype to test the concept, which I still have. I modded it to a KFm3, which flys very well, but like the 2 better for FPV. I will post a few more pics of the details if you want just dont want to badly side track the thread.
Will be building the Popwing 1200 in the next few days, and will post comments on that. I have built 3 KFm4 wings that fly great based on rdjays design. Wanted to try a commercially produced wing to see how they flew. Also wanted a bigger wing so hence the 1200. Will probably expand rdjays design to around the 1200 size also. Really love the way they fly. Had a Zagi years ago when the battery choice was nicad. Flew great but not long. The PW1200 looks like it could fly quite a while on a 2200 and maybe thermal if built lightly.

Thanks, I'd like to see the pics and the dimensions. I took the fpv gear off of the PopWing and will take it out to try it without the extra weight. If it flies okay, I may just stick my light weight 5.8ghz FPV kit on it and without the OSD and extra stuff.
daronj is offline Find More Posts by daronj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:18 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Heres a link to the FPV plane for those interested.http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1747689
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
Last edited by Flyitall.; Oct 08, 2012 at 11:19 AM. Reason: .
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 10:36 AM
Registered User
USA, CA, Fontana
Joined Mar 2005
1,110 Posts
CG 200mm?

Well, I was looking at my wing and trying to see if I can get the CG as close as possible to the recommended area.
I have a ARF unit from nitroplanes.
Placed a 11.1v 2200mAh batt. It is still tail heavy. I feel like I need to place another 11.1 on there to get the CG right about 200mm.

Does anyone have any solution or maybe guide me to why I am still tail heavy with 2200mAh batt?
actionplus is offline Find More Posts by actionplus
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 09, 2012, 09:29 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Did you use any other equipment other than what came with the arf? I know the rx you supplied, was it a micro or was it larger? You can balance as far back as 205mm, small distances on wings make a large difference. The manual lists smaller batteries as usable(1800) I was assuming a 2200 would be nose heavy(not a real bad thing). Whats up?
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:57 PM
Registered User
United States, CT, East Hartford
Joined Aug 2010
155 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by actionplus View Post
Well, I was looking at my wing and trying to see if I can get the CG as close as possible to the recommended area.
I have a ARF unit from nitroplanes.
Placed a 11.1v 2200mAh batt. It is still tail heavy. I feel like I need to place another 11.1 on there to get the CG right about 200mm.

Does anyone have any solution or maybe guide me to why I am still tail heavy with 2200mAh batt?
I have a 1200 mm NP wing that weighs 416 grams. It has a 1.9 Oz 400 Slo fly motor from Heads Up RC, A Detrum 20A ESC, a pair of 9 gram servos and a 180 gram 2200 MAH battery. The Rx is a Spectrum with satellite Rx diversity setup. Total weight is 596 Grams. If you weighted all of your components against the components I just told you about, you might find the culprit or placement of components that is causing the problem. I did remove all of the foam that I could remove in the front of the plane to get that heavy battery forward. The battery is mounted with the narrow side of it facing the wing, not the broad side of the battery as shown in most pictures. I am running a heavy APC prop of 9x4.5 BTW. The battery is NOT mounted in the battery bay but is forward of it as far as possible and secured with a velcro strap after carving out a pocket for it. It balances right on 200 MM from the nose. I really hopes this helps you.

Ron
doublebuck is online now Find More Posts by doublebuck
Last edited by doublebuck; Oct 11, 2012 at 03:05 PM. Reason: clarified battery position
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 07:38 PM
Registered User
Joined Jun 2010
190 Posts
Okay, I removed all of the FPV gear from my popwing and built it as designed. I even installed the original motor/prop combo. It is very easy to put into the dreaded death spiral if your control surfaces have too much throw. After taming the control surfaces down quite a bit, it flew very well. Although I don't know how one would balance it using an 1800-2200 mah battery. I mounted my esc on the top just forward of the mounting bay and put a 3000mah battery in the nose by carving out a little extra space. CG seems right on. With the wing this light, its very easy to catch when your flight is over, and catching the wing on landing really looks cool
daronj is offline Find More Posts by daronj
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2012, 09:41 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Im just not gettin the CG problem. My PW is balancing right @ 200mm with the supplied stuff using a 2200 3S. ?
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 17, 2012, 09:17 AM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Totally finalized the PW build. I swapped the supplied motor with another 2212 with double the kv rating(2500). According to the seller should turn a 6x4 19k+ and produce around 24oz of thrust. For those builders that are inclined to mount a 400 or larger motor(2217) you will almost double the motors weight and cause the CG issues. The completed build weighs 19oz RTF. If this motor proves too hyper for the airfoil( a slow flyer) I will just swap out the stock motor and prop. CG double checked and is as mentioned right at 200mm. Am prepared to add maybe a 1/4-1/2 oz of lead as I like wings on the nose heavy side. I also added a second skid behind the electronics bay to keep the back out of the dirt also. Hope to maiden today or tomorrow.
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 20, 2012, 07:23 PM
Registered User
Joined Jul 2012
84 Posts
Well got a chance to maiden the PW. Probably wasnt the best of days with the winds 15-20 but heck I fly my 32" KESL wing in the same conditions constantly. Was a real hand full, got it trimmed, the balance was good and it flew ok. Its a big floater, I would think well suited to slope type flying. The motor I had chosen had plenty of power and the wing moved right along with it. Several times the wind would "take" it. It would weather cock into the wind and it didnt want to turn out of it. Thats with 125% travel on the ailerons too. Inital conclusion is it a big lazy type flyer meant for calmer/calm conditions. I waited for the calm before sunset and it was better of course. I have set up many wings and there was nothing wrong with the way it was set up, its just in the sedate range of wings. Wont be making it to the top of my favorites list.
Flyitall. is offline Find More Posts by Flyitall.
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 21, 2012, 09:45 AM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2008
28 Posts
hey guys
Just finished my second Popwing 1200 the first is the heavier speedy one.
The second is a more stock with a few up grades to improve wing strength.
Also everyone is having issues with the tight cg 195-206= 11 mm
I have found if the cg point of 195 is nose heavy and the middle of the cg band say 200-201 is balanced it will be perfect.

Power system this is hard due to the small cg area......and many of you and myself have found the 1200 doesn't like to carry a lot of weight....which on the first wing I went over kill on reinforcements which added weight and makes it a interesting to fly (likes to snap roll)

So I'll shoot a video this week and post detailing a good all around set up...speed...fast and slow...power and length of flight....like 8-10 minutes on a 2200 3 cell wot.

I really like this wing and with my set up I think you'll like it better
Watch for video this week and I'll detail what I did.
Chip
chippedprop is offline Find More Posts by chippedprop
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Tech One Pop Wing, Mini Pop Wing - anyone tried to slope these? jokeane Slope 5 Aug 14, 2012 08:00 AM
Discussion Pop wing won't stay up ? John S. Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 13 Jul 15, 2012 01:43 PM
New Product NitroPlanes Mini Pop Wing/Full Size Pop Wing Sooby22 Flying Wings 0 Jun 11, 2012 11:58 AM
Wanted Sky Trainer CMP 50 Nitro RC Plane Wing Set Needed chebert Aircraft - Fuel - Airplanes (FS/W) 0 May 09, 2012 09:12 PM