SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Oct 09, 2012, 01:33 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Still Up In the Air...

...about the prop selection... Flew mine last weekend with a 10x7E SF prop & it really changed the flight characteristics. It's a bit much, meaning it's over-propped, but it did seem to overcome the breeze well & it definitely had plenty of, if not too much, speed...

Still having landing gear issues since I fly off pavement. The wire struts flex considerably when making all but the most gentle landings. Not really good for dropping her down doing high alpha stalls as this flex allows the prop to hit the ground... My flying skills aren't the best either so that adds to the problem. One thing's for sure this gear really needs some help...

Recently, I've added a collar tie-type (horizontal) brace between the two struts & I think I've got it solved. Keep you posted...
RCAV8T0R is online now Find More Posts by RCAV8T0R
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:10 AM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Scratch That Idea...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAV8T0R View Post
...Still having landing gear issues since I fly off pavement...

Recently, I've added a collar tie-type (horizontal) brace between the two struts & I think I've got it solved...
Not even close with that attempt...

Gear completely collapsed (again) yesterday after a relatively easy landing, kinda stalled her & let her float down vertically. Anyway, the stock plastic housing failed & both wire gear legs splayed out on the tarmac like a gymnast doing the splits, except it wasn't that graceful.

I fly off pavement so flopping her down gearless on the asphalt isn't really an option. So, after the repeat performance I went back to the hangar & reworked the entire gear area. I ditched the stock wire legs, skirts & pants in favor of a one-piece aluminum gear for an E-flite Mini-FuntanaX. I epoxied some light ply where the old pants fitted into the fuse, drilled through the new sandwiched plates, made some aluminum 'L' brackets & bolted them to the fuse. Then I bolted the new one-piece gear to the brackets, put the wheels on & called it a day. Ready to test her out & see if the CG's been affected at all.

Otherwise, having a great time flying this extremely responsive machine. It's great one for practicing knife edge maneuvers, hovering & high alpha stuff. That's why I'm really trying to get a permanent fix for this Achilles heel so I can fly her more at the field I'm a member of & not just in a random park somewhere...
Old Oct 17, 2012, 01:26 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Katana to MFX LG Mod Explained...

Quote:
Not even close with that attempt...

Gear completely collapsed (again) yesterday after a relatively easy landing, kinda stalled her & let her float down vertically.

So, after the repeat performance I went back to the hangar & reworked the entire gear area. I ditched the stock wire legs, skirts & pants in favor of a one-piece aluminum gear for an E-flite Mini-FuntanaX. I epoxied some light ply where the old pants fitted into the fuse, drilled through the new sandwiched plates, made some aluminum 'L' brackets & bolted them to the fuse. Then I bolted the new one-piece gear to the brackets, put the wheels on & called it a day.
Thought I'd do a write up & show the group some photos of the recent LG rework I did after the stock gear failed on me for the last time last weekend... Maybe be of interest to others here that might be having similar problems with the stock gear...maybe...

Parts used:
(2) pieces of light ply, epoxied onto fuse
(2) thin gauge aluminum 'L' brackets, drilled to accept a 1/4" x 20 nylon (wing) bolt & one-piece landing gear attachment
(1) 1/4" x 20 nylon bolt, nylon washer & 1/4" x 20 metal nut
(1) Mini-Funtana X (MFX) one-piece landing gear
(4) #6 x 32 pan head machine screws, (2) for mounting onto the brackets, (2) used for axles
(6) #6 x 32 machine screw nuts, (6) #6 washers & misc. lock washers for axles & LG attachments
(2) replacement foam wheels (take-offs from another downed bird)

Probably the biggest concern was where to drill the hole to mount the two new 'L' brackets onto the fuse. I decided to drill through the stock plastic LG bracket since this would give better strength to pass the nylon bolt through than just the plain EPO foam. First, I trimmed off the plastic wire gear housings flush with the fuse then I epoxied the plywood plates onto the now flush foam wheel pant recesses. Then I just eyeballed the 'L' bracket placement, taped them onto the plywood plates & drilled through the whole assembly. I drilled a pilot hole first & then drilled the hole out to accept the larger diameter nylon bolt.

Have to admit it's not the prettiest work, it's missing the skirts & pants that add to the Katana's appeal for me, but the end result came out much better than I expected. CG is still an unknown right now. Have to wait & see once I get her airborne again. At least I'm feeling much more confident about this gear holding up to the rigors of my less-than-stellar 3D landing skills...
Old Nov 05, 2012, 01:03 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Back to the Drawing Board...

Quote:
...Have to wait & see once I get her airborne again. At least I'm feeling much more confident about this gear holding up to the rigors of my less-than-stellar 3D landing skills...
Latest gear mod couldn't handle it after all. Had some doubts & they were confirmed yesterday... Starting from scratch now... Got another plan & have already started the major reconstruction work of the fuselage where the gear used to be. Think this new plan might take care of it. I'll post photos of the completed setup soon. Of course, it's one thing to build it but it's entirely another to put it into actual use to see if it holds up...

All in all, plane flies great. Just don't land it hard. Otherwise, you be relegated to hand launches & belly landings if that suits your style & flying field conditions...
Old Nov 08, 2012, 01:49 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Katana LG Rework...Again...

Quote:
...Got another plan & have already started the major reconstruction work of the fuselage where the gear used to be. Think this new plan might take care of it. I'll post photos of the completed setup soon. Of course, it's one thing to build it but it's entirely another to put it into actual use to see if it holds up...
...for this latest LG mod_v2...

Posting photos of the second (or third, or...lost count...) gear rework. Used a piece of 1/8" multi-ply as a plate that I epoxied onto the bottom of the fuse. Had to let in an EPS foam Dutchman in the area where the previous gear mod was done since it got badly weakened after that first attempt...

Hoping this'll be the ticket so I can just fly this one & not have to think about how perfect I have to make the landings... Nothing scientific here, just trying out new ideas & gaining experience with different materials & methods. At least that's my story & I'm stickin' to it...
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Nov 08, 2012 at 03:20 PM.
Old Nov 09, 2012, 01:24 PM
I'm not lost, they are
Co.
Joined Jan 2005
1,425 Posts
RCAV8TOR, good work on the gear!

I have the Katana waiting in the box. I might just nix the gear and belly land it after all the gear woes.

Good looking airframe!
pullup! is online now Find More Posts by pullup!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:13 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Others are Out There...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pullup! View Post
RCAV8TOR, good work on the gear!

I have the Katana waiting in the box. I might just nix the gear and belly land it after all the gear woes.

Good looking airframe!
Hey pullup!

Here I thought no one was paying attention to this thread anymore... Good to know there are others that are interested in this ship... Ditching the gear is a good idea if your field conditions allow that...

Thanks for the comments. I don't like weak points on any of my ships & the LG has been the Achilles heel for me with this one... This plane is my true 3D trainer & she does fly well so I want a sturdy gear set up to practice elevators & harrier landings. The control surfaces are huge on this bird so she's more than responsive. She floats around like a profile plane but she'll move out at max throttle like full-bodied ship... I'm still messing with the prop selection. I've tried stock, a 10x7E & now a 10x6E. Seems the latest is causing the stock motor to run too hot, though. Might go back to the 10x7E since it seemed to run a bit cooler & afforded a little longer flight times...

One thing to check are the control horns. The foam compresses so you'll want to mount them, tighten them up, remove them & then glue all of them on solidly before flying her, especially the rudder. Also, check to see if there's too much play in the stock T-Motor shaft. After a few flights this happened to mine & she really hummed loudly because of it but that was an easy fix...

Enjoy your Katana. You won't be disappointed!
Old Nov 09, 2012, 03:41 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,218 Posts
I'm still here too, lurking around.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Nov 09, 2012, 04:37 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
In the Shadows...

Quote:
Originally Posted by queadlunnrau View Post
I'm still here too, lurking around.
Enjoyed your flight video you posted a while back in this thread as well... She's definitely a keeper...
Old Nov 26, 2012, 06:13 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
LG Is Good to Go Now...

...at least for the moment anyway...

Got a few flights in yesterday finally & was able to test the reworked LG & a different prop. Everything checked out although I was somewhat careful with the touchdowns. Because I've had so many issues I played it a bit safe on the landings, just letting her touch down slowly & softly. Even so, I can tell there won't be any sign of significant flexing if I do happen bring her down hard...

Tried a different prop, too. Now I'm using an 11x5.5E on the stock 1250kv T-Motor & it all seems to be working just fine. Flew her three times using 3S 1300mAh lipos & got about 5 minute flight times with mixed throttle inputs. Got the CG sorted out by moving the pack as far back as possible in the front recess. Now she's very neutral when inverted... Darnedest thing, too. The motor wasn't nearly as hot as it was with the 10x6E prop I had on there before...

There was a fairly steady breeze blowing & as you can imagine this ship acts like a kite, kind of getting swept around by the wind. I know, I try not to fly her when the wind kicks up but I didn't want to wait anymore. Tell you what, she'll hang on that 11x5.5E prop (stock was 10x5E) all day long now... Still learning how to fly her & how to do this crazy (read difficult) 3D stuff but for now I can use her as a 3D trainer like I wanted to...at least until the next drop or mishap occurs...
Old Dec 12, 2012, 05:56 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
You're Not Alone...

Quote:
Originally Posted by red_z06 View Post
I heard some buzzing sound from the motor. So, I brought it down to inspect. Upon throttling up, the whole motor mount just shook lose and ejected.
...as mine decided to part company from the fuse as well but after only about 12 flights...

Heard this obnoxious noise coming from the ship during full throttle maneuvers. Then I saw what I thought was the prop coming off... Basically powered down the throttle, gave it full up elevator & did an elevator drop down to the ground some distance away from the landing strip... Upon closer inspection, I found the motor & mount had completely ejected off of the fuse in mid-air. Walked about 20 feet & found the missing pieces, packed her in the rig & flew my 1400mm Sbach instead...

Bad news is how to go about fixing it... I'm thinking epoxy & fiberglass cloth with some plywood "straps" to reinforce this flimsy plastic motor mount to lash it back on the fuse. Still thinking of ways to solve this unexpected dilemma...

Good news is the landing gear mod_v2 I did is really holding up well... Too bad I can't test it out anymore because this ship is actually a fun one to have in the air (if you can keep her in one piece, that is...)
Last edited by RCAV8T0R; Jan 07, 2013 at 07:22 PM.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:03 PM
Feeding the RC Addiction
Joined Apr 2011
549 Posts
Katana Motor Mount Fix_v1...

Quote:
...I'm thinking epoxy & fiberglass cloth with some plywood "straps" to reinforce this flimsy plastic motor mount to lash it back on the fuse. Still thinking of ways to solve this unexpected dilemma...
...here we go again...

Got around to attaching the dearly departed motor mount last night. Used epoxy, thin plywood plates & fiberglass cloth like I mentioned before. Noticed what I would call a design flaw while I was reworking the front end that may be of interest to any Katana owners...

The factory-made slot for the three motor wires to pass between the motor opening & the magnetic hatch cover is suspect. There is way too much torsional flex or twisting caused by the depth & placement of this slot... You can demonstrate this for yourself by holding the front mount, then behind opening & then giving a (light) twisting motion & watching the slot deform. I'm betting dollars to donuts this flex caused undue stress on the plastic plate assembly & may have weakened the motor mount connection. This could very well be the main reason the motor broke off in so soon, besides crashing it nose first...

Because of this, I filled in the slot with an EPO spacer or plug. This modification really decreased the torsional flex since this "gash" that's almost halfway through the fuse has been plugged permanently. Of course, plugging this slot necessitated routing the motor wires differently. I decided to bore a hole through the foam directly into the hatch compartment. Simple & effective & it doesn't seem to have compromised the structural integrity of the fuse at all... Got photos of the latest rework to share with the group...again.... Actually enjoyed doing this repair. Definitely a challenge working on this model...

Bottom line is she's fixed (for now) & ready for more flight testing since it appears I've become a beta tester for TechOne & this newer Katana model that's not holding up well at all...at least not for me anyway......
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:31 PM
Luck is my skill
United States, WA, Redmond
Joined Jun 2009
1,218 Posts
Gonna throw some epoxy/glue and braces on mine this weekend, haven't flown her in a while due to Washington dreary weather lately, but I do feel some unwanted flex around the foam around the motor mount.
queadlunnrau is offline Find More Posts by queadlunnrau
Old Dec 13, 2012, 03:41 PM
United States, MI, Royal Oak
Joined Nov 2005
1,377 Posts
Got one of these coming for xmas....what kind of flight times are you guys getting on a 3s 1000mah?
JGuilty13 is offline Find More Posts by JGuilty13
Old Dec 13, 2012, 09:54 PM
200 mph club
United States, AZ, Fort Mohave
Joined Mar 2005
869 Posts
I got mine from NitroPlanes on sale for $72.81 shipped!
Got it put together and did some hover practice. Stock motor gets really hot after 2 to 3 minutes of hovering (running the 10x4.7). Going to change it out for a Turnigy 2217-20 860kv and use a 11x4.7. I will post a Video if this motor works out !

Current balance point is right on the Aileron wires.

r/cmark is offline Find More Posts by r/cmark
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FrSky Taranis misc stuff