HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:02 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
New Product
Revolectrix Announces the NEW MPA!

Revolectrix is proud to announce our new MPA, short for Multi-Port Safe Parallel Adapter. It's not your average Parallel Adapter. Supports up to six packs, 2s-8s, same-cell-count Li battery packs with XH equipped balance connectors. Includes self-resetting fuses for every cell in every pack, every pack fuse protected, and will handle full 40A charge/discharge rates without a sweat, thanks to double-decker PCB construction. Even has protected jacks for TX/RX NiCds and 2 x 1s indoor LiPo's. Time to clean up that workbench!

Click here to see "What's Under the Hood"

Now taking orders on the REVO USA webstore for delivery in early January, 2012!

Tim Marks
Tim Marks is offline Find More Posts by Tim Marks
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:08 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Looks good Tim, but my batteries are thunder power. You have a TP version in the works?
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Dec 16, 2011, 07:57 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
You beat me to it, I'd also like to know if other battery packs will be supported (TP, CellPro, etc).

This sure puts the no-name ones to shame!
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Last edited by SteveM732; Dec 16, 2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: Spelling impaired
Old Dec 16, 2011, 10:27 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Hi:

TP and PQ versions are being considered for down the road. We'll see how it goes.

Tim Marks
Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:16 PM
D C
I'm Out Sky Dancing!
United States, TX, Bryan
Joined Jan 2009
182 Posts
Tim,

Please bring out a TP version....

There are a bunch of us in Texas using multiple PL8's and we would really would like to use some MPA's configured for TP Lipos.

Thanks,

Don C
D C is offline Find More Posts by D C
Old Dec 17, 2011, 03:41 AM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
789 Posts
Well, I hope you bring a thunder power version to the market, because I didn't buy a junk charger and I don't buy junk batteries either.

If FMA doesn't make one, then I'll probably build my own. It's not like these things are that complex and thermo breakers are pretty easy to get, and my bud has a cnc router that can cut a board.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Dec 17, 2011, 11:45 AM
too cheap to be a Plus user
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,282 Posts
Looks great! How about a version with "wired" outputs so that we can use PowerPoles, bullets, etc for the main battery connectors?

Doug B.
dougbo is online now Find More Posts by dougbo
Old Dec 17, 2011, 01:28 PM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo View Post
Looks great! How about a version with "wired" outputs so that we can use PowerPoles, bullets, etc for the main battery connectors?

Doug B.
Hi:

We're looking at supplying adapters from Deans Ultra to EC3 soon. Perhaps we can also look into other adapters. Coming off the PCB with bare wires would kind of be ugly and dangerous I think?

Tim Marks
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:15 AM
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
We're looking at supplying adapters from Deans Ultra to EC3 soon. Perhaps we can also look into other adapters. Coming off the PCB with bare wires would kind of be ugly and dangerous I think?
Thanks for the reply Tim. I'm not sure wires with PowerPoles on the ends would be any more dangerous than exposed male Deans connectors sticking up in the air. Of course it could leave the factory with a bit of heat shrink on the ends of the wires just like some LiPo batteries. I do understand your concern for safety. Perhaps it should only be sold through a build to order process for special users?

I know PowerPoles are in the minority so I can go the adapter route if that is what it takes. Of course, adapters add to the expense of the MPA solution. I have a small fortune in Safe Parallel balance adapters so I will use both solutions for the foreseeable future.

Thumbs up for making the PL8 / PL6 an even better charging solution.

Doug B.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:36 AM
President, FMA, Inc.
Joined Mar 2008
1,059 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dougbo View Post
Thanks for the reply Tim. I'm not sure wires with PowerPoles on the ends would be any more dangerous than exposed male Deans connectors sticking up in the air. Of course it could leave the factory with a bit of heat shrink on the ends of the wires just like some LiPo batteries. I do understand your concern for safety. Perhaps it should only be sold through a build to order process for special users?

I know PowerPoles are in the minority so I can go the adapter route if that is what it takes. Of course, adapters add to the expense of the MPA solution. I have a small fortune in Safe Parallel balance adapters so I will use both solutions for the foreseeable future.

Thumbs up for making the PL8 / PL6 an even better charging solution.

Doug B.

Hi:

Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood your request. I thought you were asking for the MPA to be supplied with bare wire outputs so that customers could add their own connectors. If we were to install the connector options, that would be safe. But if we supplied bare wire, we're depending on the customer to solder on appropriate connectors on all output channels. Un-terminated bare wires would be able to short much easier than Deans Ultra connectors, IMO.

Tim Marks
Old Dec 18, 2011, 12:47 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
105 Posts
Yes bare wires would the best option
I don't use Deans anymore, so I can't buy this looking nice charging board.
BMW318TI is offline Find More Posts by BMW318TI
Old Dec 18, 2011, 01:11 PM
United States, OR, Beaverton
Joined Feb 2008
1,976 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW318TI View Post
I don't use Deans anymore, so I can't buy this looking nice charging board.
Unless you unsolder the Deans and solder in wire or make short adapters to go between Deans and what you use. Where there is a will, there is a way.
SteveM732 is offline Find More Posts by SteveM732
Old Dec 18, 2011, 02:01 PM
The Netherlands
Joined Jul 2010
105 Posts
Yes that's also an option, but I think with bare wires the price is lower?
BMW318TI is offline Find More Posts by BMW318TI
Old Dec 18, 2011, 03:48 PM
USA, WA, Richland
Joined Nov 2009
1,282 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Marks View Post
Sorry, perhaps I misunderstood your request. I thought you were asking for the MPA to be supplied with bare wire outputs so that customers could add their own connectors. If we were to install the connector options, that would be safe. But if we supplied bare wire, we're depending on the customer to solder on appropriate connectors on all output channels. Un-terminated bare wires would be able to short much easier than Deans Ultra connectors, IMO.
Yes, I want 6" of nice silicone wire sans connectors. It would not be "bare" since you could cover the ends with heat shrink, liquid electrical tape or something to prevent shorting.

I understand that from a manufacturer liability standpoint that assuming the customer can handle adding connectors on all outputs might be too much liability. That's cool.

However, I see this as no different than the charging squid or similar which has spare wires covered with heat shrink (upper right corner of picture).

Doug B.
Old Dec 18, 2011, 11:54 PM
Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
2,216 Posts
Does it come with T-plug/Deans protectors?

I always thought the ParaBoards and parallel cables with exposed, and hot male Deans were a risky idea.
Gregor99 is offline Find More Posts by Gregor99