HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 13, 2012, 01:31 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
To get the spirits high I assembled the components with masking tape on the floor and set myself next to it and dreamed about a completed model.

After reviewing some prototype photos I noted I shouldn't be too picky with sanding paper and putty.

ilkka
I. Klemetti is offline Find More Posts by I. Klemetti
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 13, 2012, 10:42 AM
Jack of all master of none
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,462 Posts
ilkka WOW lookinn REAL NICE very light and clean, your going have to rough it up a bit to look authentic, A lot of guys don't realize that the skins were put on in such a hurry they did not take time to smooth out all of little bumps. But your doing a fine job on this model can't wait to see more.

Bruce
splinterz25 is online now Find More Posts by splinterz25
Old Feb 25, 2012, 03:23 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Yes, to make a realistic skin on a model, all you have to do is to work carelessly.

I got the controls installed in the rear fuselage. A tight place around the retracted tailwheel but everything fit well, finally.

The fin and stab attaching bars slide into the mounting holes so it will be easy to assemble them at final stage (some day hopefully).

Sorry splinterz25 as I cannot show you the vac forming step by step as requested. After having seen the nose plug, my buddy offered to vac form the glazing parts for me as he had all the equpment and materials. And skills. So I sent the plug to him and after a week I received a couple of beautiful Ju 88 nose glazings. I made temporary frames from tape to get the idea of the looks of the glazing. I am happy with the glazing.

ilkka
Old Feb 25, 2012, 04:10 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,462 Posts
Ilkka it's nice that you have a friend close by with such talent the glazing looks very realistic! your making some good head way now. no worries about the forming I need to just make a new box and try some pulls to learn, it's the best way I have found trial and error. still watchen
Old Feb 25, 2012, 05:05 PM
USA, MA, Weymouth
Joined Mar 2004
1,095 Posts
It's coming along VERY nicely, Ilkka!

Dear Ilkka:

The PIPE Here once more - just completed a retailing principles online chapter test for my business degree college course within the last hour, and I've got to say, Ilkka, your Ju 88 is coming along very nicely these days.

Your friend that molded up the "beetle's eye" nose glazing did a very nice job as well...of course, vacuum forming the faceted glazing of the "beetle's eye" would be one of the best ways to do it for something as small as our models, where you're copying it from something that existed 70+ years ago, is quite a bit larger, and actually made with flat safety glass panels with all that formed metal FRAMING, the smaller one you've got can have its "framing" duplicated with something easier, like some strips of tape.

The "solid nose" Ju 88C, G, H or R versions would be much easier to do, of course...but the "beetle's eye" simply gives your example that extra chance to, as you said previously, get some "extra detailing" in its nose.

Also, the "mattress" or "stag's antlers" VHF/UHF radar antennae of the air intercept radars for a Ju 88 (or Bf 110G, or He 219) night fighter WOULD be sort of a fragile scale detail to have on there...the Ju 88A you're doing only has the tall dorsal radio mast coming out of the upper cockpit glazing's framework, and not much else than that, besides the defensive MGs all around the cockpit areas - or am I missing something?

Keep up the great work...a BOSTON BRUINS (described for you at http://fi.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boston_Bruins ) ice hockey game on TV this Saturday evening, "across the pond" over here in "Uusi-Englanti" after dinner to enjoy watching !!!

Thanks again and Yours Sincerely,

The PIPE....!!
The PIPE is offline Find More Posts by The PIPE
Old Feb 29, 2012, 05:10 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
I managed to get the fuselage skinned in February. Good thing we had that extra day in February this year.

The fuselage structure without accessories weighs in at 300 grams.

ilkka
Old Mar 03, 2012, 01:20 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
I connected the tailwheel and everything worked well. I am happy with the retract mechanism.

ilkka

Junkers Ju 88 Retractable Tailwheel (0 min 17 sec)
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:26 PM
Sydney, Australia
Joined Jun 2006
2,950 Posts
Excellent work! That looks so precise and smooth...
Gree is offline Find More Posts by Gree
Old Mar 03, 2012, 03:56 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,462 Posts
ilkka you make it look so easy very well done!!.. I can't wait to see it all put together.

Bruce
Old Mar 04, 2012, 07:04 PM
Joined May 2011
257 Posts
Really excellent work!
LuftM40 is offline Find More Posts by LuftM40
Old Mar 08, 2012, 08:53 AM
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Mar 2012
171 Posts
Your work is inspiring, I hope that one day I will be able build even half as well.
Keep up the good work.

Essar.
essar is offline Find More Posts by essar
Old Mar 18, 2012, 02:38 AM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Thank you guys for your kind words. It is an advantage to model a hammer-beaten warbird rather than a car show masterpiece. A rough prototype - a rough model. Suits to me.

The cockpit glazing on a Ju 88 is in my opinion the most distinctive part of the airplane. On a A-4 model there is a significant bulge at the rear due to the two machine guns. So it has to be vacuum formed in three pieces.

When the plug was almost ready I noticed it should have had some asymmetry in the form. It is more than just the kinked frame mentioned in post #73 by Pipe. However, the asymmetry is so little I did not want to re-make the plug so I let it be as is. (I can always make a new glazing later, I tell to myself, ha ha.)

ilkka
Old Mar 18, 2012, 09:56 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,462 Posts
ilkka.....So you are going to form the canopy your self? If so take lots of photos I would like to see how you do this please, I'm going to be trying one my self befor long and could use any pointers you could give on forming.

thanks
Bruce
Old Mar 20, 2012, 02:25 PM
Taken Lightly
Pietarsaari, Finland
Joined Mar 2003
333 Posts
Sorry to tell you, Bruce, but the plugs have been sent to the same guy who formed the nose glazing for me. He has the material at his disposal plus the equipment plus experience plus he is willing to help me. So I am not competitive enough to make the cockpit glazing myself.

ilkka
Old Mar 20, 2012, 05:46 PM
Baltimore MD USA
Joined Jan 2011
4,462 Posts
Sorry ilkka I misunderstood.... I hope your friend does a real nice job for you to match the rest of your efforts! looking forward to seeing the glazing in place on the aircraft, best of luck with the rest of your build.

Bruce