HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Oct 02, 2012, 06:31 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panza View Post
I think a few people want now to test dji new FW's....
How many tested and happy in 5.14 (We remember in 5.14a, crashs with uncontrolled drifts in atti)
5.14 is the best firmware to date I personally feel. All my WKm equipped Multis fly much smoother. Plus, the added of safety that a hexa can now fly if a motor dies is a HUGE bonus.

I see no reason not to use 5.14.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:02 PM
uavservices on MRF
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
really? has someone tested this on a hexa? that's a pretty strong claim to make considering it will depend greatly on your setup whereas an octo will almost certainally fly one motor down even over loaded...

care to expand on what they could possibly have done different in the firmware to change the laws of physics

steve
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:14 PM
Registered User
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
really? has someone tested this on a hexa? that's a pretty strong claim to make considering it will depend greatly on your setup whereas an octo will almost certainally fly one motor down even over loaded...

care to expand on what they could possibly have done different in the firmware to change the laws of physics

steve
There was acutely a video out were DJI showed the switching off of one motors in flight which resulted in a yaw but the copter stayed stable. The way to safety maneuver it was to take care of one of the IOC features. The videos were taken offline though for some reason.

Boris
BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:20 PM
uavservices on MRF
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
yes it will yaw and if you counter the yaw you will slow down the props that are left giving you lift and down she will come...

so yeah if you use IOC or home lock I guess... then it will come down in a reasonable fashion but only if you are lightly loaded...

I lost one prop on my MK and it came down spinning... I did not touch the yaw and it was OK but nothing "controlable" and certainally dangerous... plus it was very lightly loaded.

I'd rather have it flip and come straight down becuase there should be nobody below your copter at anytime anyway....

Steve
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:27 PM
Registered User
bcollydas's Avatar
Canada, QC, Laval
Joined Apr 2008
1,225 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BorisSA View Post
There was acutely a video out were DJI showed the switching off of one motors in flight which resulted in a yaw but the copter stayed stable. The way to safety maneuver it was to take care of one of the IOC features. The videos were taken offline though for some reason.

Boris
You mean this one?
DJI WooKong-M New Feature-Protection Function for X6 Multi-rotor (3 min 2 sec)
bcollydas is offline Find More Posts by bcollydas
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 02, 2012, 07:45 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
really? has someone tested this on a hexa? that's a pretty strong claim to make considering it will depend greatly on your setup whereas an octo will almost certainally fly one motor down even over loaded...

care to expand on what they could possibly have done different in the firmware to change the laws of physics

steve
I fly many S800's per day. 5.14 is by far the best firmware I feel.

I just got off the phone with a customer who had a motor fail. It just stopped in flight and he was able to fly his S800/Z15 down and land it no problem. Yes, it will yaw a little but I will take that ANY DAY over a flip.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:35 AM
Registered User
Belgique, Région Wallonne, Braine-l'Alleud
Joined Dec 2008
198 Posts
Make some flights with my Hexa no problem at all. As some people say smooth flight!

Enjoy 5.14!
nisouck is offline Find More Posts by nisouck
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:43 AM
Suspended Account
Long Island, New York
Joined Jun 2008
6,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
DYS is a poor esc IMHO... it does not have an external oscilator so you will have poor throttle calibration and also temperatures drifts...

if you adjust your idle to 3/4 in the DJI software they will all start up together.

why one stopped in mid flight is beyond me... there is no over current protection on simonk firmware so the esc will just burn and not work again...

Hope you resolve it!
I calibrated the esc's and all is well now. What esc's are better?
Thanks
Tarro is offline Find More Posts by Tarro
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Oct 03, 2012, 08:52 AM
Registered User
Panza's Avatar
France, Midi-Pyrénées, Toulouse
Joined Jun 2012
356 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
5.14 is the best firmware to date...
I see no reason not to use 5.14.
Because too many people (and me) crashed on a 5.14a with an anormal drift in atti mode.
So, how many people feel good in 5.14 ? 2? 3? 5?

We will be more confient in 5.14 if DJI officially recognize they found an issue in 5.14a, corrected in 5.14.
But DJI is in silent mode...
Panza is offline Find More Posts by Panza
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:06 PM
uavservices on MRF
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
This I belive is only possibl on a beast like the S800 where you are using 6S and have gobs of power with 15" props.

Thanks for the info and I am going to take a prop off my hexa, load it up and test it on version 12

Whats with the S800 losing motors in flight recently?

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
I fly many S800's per day. 5.14 is by far the best firmware I feel.

I just got off the phone with a customer who had a motor fail. It just stopped in flight and he was able to fly his S800/Z15 down and land it no problem. Yes, it will yaw a little but I will take that ANY DAY over a flip.
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:19 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by saabguyspg View Post
This I belive is only possibl on a beast like the S800 where you are using 6S and have gobs of power with 15" props.

Thanks for the info and I am going to take a prop off my hexa, load it up and test it on version 12

Whats with the S800 losing motors in flight recently?

Steve
I want to put a switch to shut off a motor in flight on one of the F550's and see what happens.

Taking off without a prop is much different than losing one in flight I think.

S800's don't really loose motors. They did have some issues when one motor was going to full throttle from what I have seen in a few of the posted videos. Not sure the cause on that. Firmware, Rf interference, etc. Going full throttle is crazy and I don't understand the cause.

I personally have never had one do this yet. Yes, our test flights are only 1-2 for customer RTF's but I can only fly them for so long. Our personal S800/Z15 are bullet proof and the 5.14 firmware is very noticeable on how smooth it is. Honestly, I rarely could tell flight characteristics between firmwares but this one I can for sure.

Note: I have not flown 5.14 on F550 yet but will try later today if I have time.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:49 PM
Registered User
United States, MI, Goodrich
Joined Mar 2004
3,889 Posts
Updated to 5.14 on the little F550 Av130 equipped Test Mule and did a quick test flight between rain.

Flew smooth and great.

Also had the new Graupner style 10" GemFans on. I like them a lot. They are a little loose on the stock DJI motors (8mm) and I had to add a dap of glue. Not big fan of that. But they do have adapters for 6mm etc. motors. Next batch I will get made with notch for the stock DJI motors.
UAVProducts is offline Find More Posts by UAVProducts
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 12:52 PM
Registered User
Austria, Wien, Vienna
Joined May 2011
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bcollydas View Post

yeah thanks didn't know it was working again !

boris
BorisSA is offline Find More Posts by BorisSA
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 01:35 PM
uavservices on MRF
saabguyspg's Avatar
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
cool info and thanks!

I will check if those props for sale in your shop, they look nice

Steve

Quote:
Originally Posted by UAVProducts View Post
Updated to 5.14 on the little F550 Av130 equipped Test Mule and did a quick test flight between rain.

Flew smooth and great.

Also had the new Graupner style 10" GemFans on. I like them a lot. They are a little loose on the stock DJI motors (8mm) and I had to add a dap of glue. Not big fan of that. But they do have adapters for 6mm etc. motors. Next batch I will get made with notch for the stock DJI motors.
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:26 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2011
11 Posts
I will update my s800 from 5.12 to 5.14. But, what means this statement on the 5.14 notes?

<For safety reason, do not use power battery during firmware upgrade.>

I cant use my lipo pluged during upgrade? just plug the usb cable?
cortez is offline Find More Posts by cortez
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Ballistic Recovery System for Multirotors Duck! Aerial Photography 65 Feb 26, 2014 10:58 PM
Discussion DJI - WooKong eStab for Scale sidneyw Scale Helicopters 97 Dec 30, 2012 11:48 AM
Discussion FY3ZT Autopilot for Aerial Photography feiyudz Aerial Photography 116 May 07, 2012 05:58 PM
Discussion DJI AceOne autopilot for sale... hazchem88 Aerial Photography 4 Mar 31, 2011 04:54 AM
Discussion DJI Innovation helicopter autopilot XP.3.1 for European customers JoelT Aerial Photography 2 Sep 24, 2009 12:43 PM