to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:42 PM
OSUFPV - KF7VFT
Corvallis, OR
Joined Apr 2010
1,778 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
My SW is almost ready for its first flight.

Lawmate 1.2 1w
RVOSD5
Sony KPC 650-CHQ flight camera
GoPro mounted in the nose
Rimfire 35-36 1200
Electrifly SS 45a
3S 5000mAh
Dragonlink
Where did you get your low pass filter for 1280?
Blueshy is offline Find More Posts by Blueshy
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:43 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm360 View Post
Never did like the way the Skywalker sits on top of the landing gear, so taking a little inspiration from F3a, I mounted my gears like this! It makes the planes "sit" a lot better.....

It's pretty tough, there's no way the gears are coming off without removing a large chunk of fuselage with it!
Ever think it may be better to have the landing gear come off a little easier than to rip out the entire bottom half of your fuse???

That said, I do like the looks of your setup. Did you cut an access slot thru the bottom foam to install the LG? Is your tail wheel connected to the rudder or free castering? I've been thinking of putting LG on mine for hard field flying, but want a way to easily remove it for soft field (grass, weeds, etc) flying. Perhaps something similar to what you did, but cut the LG center section in half and slide the halves into the fuse and bolt to the plywood hold downs. Either way...your setup looks very nice.
Vantasstic is online now Find More Posts by Vantasstic
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:46 PM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by webdr View Post
My SW is almost ready for its first flight.

Lawmate 1.2 1w
RVOSD5
Sony KPC 650-CHQ flight camera
GoPro mounted in the nose
Rimfire 35-36 1200
Electrifly SS 45a
3S 5000mAh
Dragonlink

All up weight is 4lbs

I think I could shave a few ounces by using a lighter flight camera like a DX201, since I really want to record with the GoPro; I'll see how she flies at 4lbs and make that decision then. But on the other hand, the quality of the 650-CHQ is superb for a standard-def CCD cam.

I added carbon spars on the top and bottom of the main wing, top of the horizontal stab, and both sides of the vertical stab, and put a few strips of fiberglass packing tape on as well. Im amazed at how much more rigid the entire plane is...this is a mod that's well worth it.
Nice looking setup. I like how you mounted your GoPro. I'm to chicken to leave my GoPro unprotected though, so I keep it in the case. While I seldom use it, I have my set up to pan for 'sight seeing' during flight.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 30, 2011, 09:48 PM
RCGroups Editor
United States, OH, Parma
Joined Jul 2009
5,129 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueshy View Post
Where did you get your low pass filter for 1280?
http://www.dpcav.com/xcart/product.p...8&cat=0&page=1
Matt Gunn is online now Find More Posts by Matt Gunn
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Bill Hempel Xtreme Decathlon
Old Jul 30, 2011, 11:10 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2004
583 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vantasstic View Post
Ever think it may be better to have the landing gear come off a little easier than to rip out the entire bottom half of your fuse???

That said, I do like the looks of your setup. Did you cut an access slot thru the bottom foam to install the LG? Is your tail wheel connected to the rudder or free castering? I've been thinking of putting LG on mine for hard field flying, but want a way to easily remove it for soft field (grass, weeds, etc) flying. Perhaps something similar to what you did, but cut the LG center section in half and slide the halves into the fuse and bolt to the plywood hold downs. Either way...your setup looks very nice.
I did think of using 2 halves of landing gear to allow it to be removed, that would work well, but I only fly off a hard runway, so I decided to really imbed it into the fuse.

The tail wheel is a free castering wheel because the wire was not long enough!
dtm360 is online now Find More Posts by dtm360
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:40 AM
'FPV'er...not a "LOS'er
Las Vegas, NV
Joined Sep 2003
18,482 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtm360 View Post
I did think of using 2 halves of landing gear to allow it to be removed, that would work well, but I only fly off a hard runway, so I decided to really imbed it into the fuse.

The tail wheel is a free castering wheel because the wire was not long enough!
Thanks for the added pictures. I also fly mostly from hard surface. With flying FPV from different locations I figure I'll have some that landing gear would work well and others where belly landing would be better. I kind of cheated and installed a single landing wheel in my fuse that's about half way recessed (ala glider like) so I'm not fully landing on the foam while not creating a snag hazard when/if I fly from a soft field. It works pretty well, but I can't taxi or take off with it as the wing tips just drag.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:00 AM
Back in Hong Kong
Joined Sep 2003
966 Posts
Webdr,

your build looks good.

I did the same carbon and fiber tape mod as you on my first SW and had it breakup in flight on the second flight just doing normal steady flying.

On my second SW I added carbon struts on the tail and a ply locator on the front of the wing.

Now it will loop and roll without breaking up.

Also make sure your wing rubber bands are tight.

I hope this helps.
hornant is offline Find More Posts by hornant
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:29 AM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
I'm waiting teh Skywalker V4 from BevRC, anybody tried it already ? the wing should be better....
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:48 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
I'm waiting teh Skywalker V4 from BevRC, anybody tried it already ? the wing should be better....
same as v3 , only with a new epo "cockpit" instead of the clear plastic..
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Jul 31, 2011, 10:53 AM
United Kingdom, Bradford
Joined Jul 2010
92 Posts
Never had any sucess with landing gear , plane always wants to turn to face the wind which is no good on a narrow strip. I added flaps and it floats into the air with the lightest of throws
omegamanuk is offline Find More Posts by omegamanuk
Last edited by omegamanuk; Jul 31, 2011 at 10:57 AM. Reason: opps
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:00 AM
Smoke on , go !
Verona - Italy
Joined Jan 2007
2,527 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by octane81 View Post
same as v3 , only with a new epo "cockpit" instead of the clear plastic..
And how is V3 ? I have V2.. Has the V3 a valid wing ?
zaguruinzasky is offline Find More Posts by zaguruinzasky
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:47 AM
uavservices on MRF
Calgary Canada
Joined Jun 2006
5,092 Posts
the v2 wing was fine, I just added some clear tape to mine and it's very strong.

There is a V4 our now... does anyone know of somewhere with them in stock?

Steve
saabguyspg is online now Find More Posts by saabguyspg
Old Jul 31, 2011, 11:50 AM
RTFM
Antarctica
Joined Oct 2010
1,178 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zaguruinzasky View Post
And how is V3 ? I have V2.. Has the V3 a valid wing ?
yes the v3 has a good wing , ive not heard stories about it breaking.
but then again , u have to fly the skywalker like its ment to be flown... i don't think its designed to handle high G forces.

personally i like the v3 better than v4 , because i can put things like GPS etc under the clear "cockpit" hood , and its protected .. and got clear visibility to the sky
octane81 is offline Find More Posts by octane81
Old Jul 31, 2011, 01:16 PM
On a holiday?
Uppsala, Sweden
Joined Sep 2008
3,618 Posts
I don't think the there's a problem putting the GPS under foam. I have it embedded in foam on all my models and it works. The GPS doesn't need clear visibility of the sky.
boopidoo is online now Find More Posts by boopidoo