Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:12 PM
AMA 42272, from the 1970's
United States, AZ, Kingman
Joined Oct 2007
580 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevo_m View Post
Will send it in to horizon.

It has totally siezed up now and not doing anything. I think it has expired!

Steve
Steve..I had a problem with my DX-8 that was due to a bad SD card. The radio would freeze up...even the OFF/On switch didn't work. If I disconnected the battery, then reconnected it, normal operation then followed. It was the SD card that came with the radio that caused the problem...replaced the card and the problem was solved.
DXStickman is offline Find More Posts by DXStickman
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined May 2005
14 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DXStickman View Post
Steve..I had a problem with my DX-8 that was due to a bad SD card. The radio would freeze up...even the OFF/On switch didn't work. If I disconnected the battery, then reconnected it, normal operation then followed. It was the SD card that came with the radio that caused the problem...replaced the card and the problem was solved.
Yeah I have tried 3 different cards all done as per the book, All with the same problems.

It's totally dead now and you can't get to the battery to reset it on the DX10t as it is enclosed into the TX.

I've packed it up tonight and will get it over to Horizon in tomorrows post.

Luckily I have a spare 6x to use but will have to setup all my models again for the w/end.

Steve
stevo_m is offline Find More Posts by stevo_m
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:54 AM
Good Better Best quest.
Australia, VIC, Cranbourne East
Joined Apr 2004
10,523 Posts
Transfering ownership

Buddy just sold his DX8 (went to DX18 ) and was wondering how to transfer ownership and registration to the new owner. ?
olmod is offline Find More Posts by olmod
Old Sep 14, 2012, 01:15 AM
ancora imparo
Melbourne, Australia
Joined Jul 2005
6,774 Posts
Les, the original owner needs to login to the Spektrum Community and Deregister the TX. Then the new owner registers it.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by olmod View Post
Buddy just sold his DX8 (went to DX18 ) and was wondering how to transfer ownership and registration to the new owner. ?
jj604 is online now Find More Posts by jj604
Old Sep 14, 2012, 04:53 AM
Joined May 2006
375 Posts
No timer when in range test menu

After years of hesitation I am finally starting to migrate to 2.4GHz. Overall I think DX8 was a good choice but there are always some little detail that confuses or annoys.

The timer that triggers on Throttle Out is a very neat feature. However, I have discovered (the firm way) that the timer is not triggered when the transmitter is left in the Range Test menu? Is that a bug or a feature?
tb47 is offline Find More Posts by tb47
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:34 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
7,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by tb47 View Post
After years of hesitation I am finally starting to migrate to 2.4GHz. Overall I think DX8 was a good choice but there are always some little detail that confuses or annoys.

The timer that triggers on Throttle Out is a very neat feature. However, I have discovered (the firm way) that the timer is not triggered when the transmitter is left in the Range Test menu? Is that a bug or a feature?
Why would you need the timer -in this menu?
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Sep 14, 2012, 09:56 AM
Bye Bye VP Aug 2010 - Aug 2012
United Kingdom, London
Joined Jan 2005
6,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
Why would you need the timer -in this menu?
Indeed. I really can't see why this would be an issue.
Gerry__ is offline Find More Posts by Gerry__
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Foamie Resurrection
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:29 AM
Nampa, ID
Joined Oct 2009
678 Posts
Did the 2.05 update have *anything* to do with RF? The reason I ask is I just lost my first plane using DSM2. This was my first flight after updating the radio.

I am not wanting to point the finger but I just updated my DX8 to 2.05 and went flying yesterday. This is a plane that I have had MANY flights on (I flew it all last year). I was doing some passes down the field on on the fourth pass I lost total control. We just sat there and watched the plane fly off at full power. It finally hit a tree over at the golf course. When we got to the plane the receiver was flashing. When we walked it back to the flying table where the transmitter was the controls started working again.(RX still flashing)

Apparently failsafe on the RX was not working either since it appeared to be at full throttle. And yes all that stuff was working when I originally bound the RX to the TX last year.

Again, not trying to point the finger at the update. Just trying to figure out what happened. Or is this just a case of brown out that everyone keeps talking about?
nippaero is offline Find More Posts by nippaero
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:40 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
Did the 2.05 update have *anything* to do with RF? The reason I ask is I just lost my first plane using DSM2. This was my first flight after updating the radio.

I am not wanting to point the finger but I just updated my DX8 to 2.05 and went flying yesterday. This is a plane that I have had MANY flights on (I flew it all last year). I was doing some passes down the field on on the fourth pass I lost total control. We just sat there and watched the plane fly off at full power. It finally hit a tree over at the golf course. When we got to the plane the receiver was flashing. When we walked it back to the flying table where the transmitter was the controls started working again.(RX still flashing)

Apparently failsafe on the RX was not working either since it appeared to be at full throttle. And yes all that stuff was working when I originally bound the RX to the TX last year.

Again, not trying to point the finger at the update. Just trying to figure out what happened. Or is this just a case of brown out that everyone keeps talking about?
You did not mention which Rx you were using. The AR8000 is a DSMX receiver and has Brownout Detection. If your Rx has Brownout Detection, it will display a flashing light indicating that either the Power Switch failed Off and On or the Rx battery voltage dropped below critical and the Rx rebooted.

Failsafe does not kick in during a Brownout. It only applies when you have Loss of Signal from the Tx (Interference or Loss of Power to the Tx, for example)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...000-Manual.pdf
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:46 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
You did not mention which Rx you were using. The AR8000 is a DSMX receiver and has Brownout Detection. If your Rx has Brownout Detection, it will display a flashing light indicating that either the Power Switch failed Off and On or the Rx battery voltage dropped below critical and the Rx rebooted.

Failsafe does not kick in during a Brownout. It only applies when you have Loss of Signal from the Tx (Interference or Loss of Power to the Tx, for example)

http://www.spektrumrc.com/ProdInfo/F...000-Manual.pdf
The rx will show brownout IF in DSM2 - not DSMX mode
The power falure tho which causes th problem may be tricky to find

The ESC used -the BEC used can be the primary fault - NOT an actual loss of battery power to those components .
When th faulty electronics cools - everything looks normal
Been there- been caught by an inadequate bec in a ESC
Old Sep 14, 2012, 10:57 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,339 Posts
Is this an electric plane with ESC. All my ESC stop powering the motor if there is no receiver visible. NO power

If it was lost of signal then Failsafe should of kicked it.

You may just have updated but 2.05 has been out for sometime with many pilots flying with 2.05 , we would of certainly have heard something before now.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
AMA 84248 since 1964
Joined Jan 2011
1,360 Posts
I don't believe that the plane in question was Electric because the OP says that throttle was still at high or WOT. If it was electric how would he know? Unless, he walked the plane back and mid-way back the engine spun up...

KKKKFL
Franco2fly is offline Find More Posts by Franco2fly
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,156 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard hanson View Post
The rx will show brownout IF in DSM2 - not DSMX mode
The power falure tho which causes th problem may be tricky to find

The ESC used -the BEC used can be the primary fault - NOT an actual loss of battery power to those components .
When th faulty electronics cools - everything looks normal
Been there- been caught by an inadequate bec in a ESC
I do recall now that the Brownout Detection is only supposed to work in DSM2 Mode, but the AR8000 manual does not mention this under the section dealing with Brownout Detection. At any rate, the LED flashes Slowly.

The manual also mentions Hold Detection. A Rec LED flashes fast indicating the number of Holds (Failsafe Events) that have occurred.

I have never had any Holds or Brownouts on my AR8000 so I had to look up the manual
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:02 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,339 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco2fly View Post
I don't believe that the plane in question was Electric because the OP says that throttle was still at high or WOT. If it was electric how would he know? Unless, he walked the plane back and mid-way back the engine spun up...

KKKKFL
No he said "We just sat there and watched the plane fly off at full power"

Meaning motor is powered and plane is flying away SO my question is still good to know what type of plane are we talking about.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nippaero View Post
.... We just sat there and watched the plane fly off at full power. It finally hit a tree over at the golf course. ...
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:30 AM
Joined Oct 2007
7,169 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
No he said "We just sat there and watched the plane fly off at full power"

Meaning motor is powered and plane is flying away SO my question is still good to know what type of plane are we talking about.
Not enough info to speculate as to actual cause

example;
IC engine will operate independant of radio
( no radio signal- the engine stays at last setting)

Electric motor- BEC/ESC/ Battery etc.. -