Old Apr 17, 2016, 07:31 AM
Find More Posts by John.G
love to fly, hate to crash
Fort Erie Ont. Canada
Joined Jan 2005
628 Posts
Question
Is there a better way to remove paint from foam

Hi guys, sorry to ask but I looked through a few pages and not able to find anything so I will ask. I have removed paint before on a foamy using the tape method and rubbing alcohol(I think that's what it was) with good results but its been a while so didn't know if things have change. I picked up a well worn P.Z. SE5a 480 size plane that has been repainted and not to my liking. So I am going to do a repaint and wonder if there are any new ways of paint remove from foam or if its still the apply the tape and pull the paint off. I see that the old decals where painted over as well so I need to figure a way to remove those as well. I'm just thinking of applying the tape and pulling the paint off and what stay's behind giving it a light sanding to the airframe and then paint it. I'm using Rustulom paint and primer all in one as it gives good coverage when dusted on in light coats. So any new way of paint removal you can tell me about would be great. John
John.G is offline Find More Posts by John.G
to remove ads between posts
Old May 19, 2016, 10:41 AM
Find More Posts by flyrc61
United States, NY, New York
Joined Feb 2011
70 Posts
John
You could use acetone to remove the paint and stickers, will not harm the foam.

John
flyrc61 is offline Find More Posts by flyrc61
Old May 19, 2016, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by KRProton
Tim Lampe; Hobbico R&D
Champaign, IL
Joined Dec 2009
4,588 Posts
I once used compressed air - blew the paint right off!

Use care of course and may work better (or worse) on different kinds of foam and paint.

Tim
KRProton is offline Find More Posts by KRProton
Old May 22, 2016, 07:59 PM
Find More Posts by FieldofDreamsFlyer
Field of Dreams Flyer
United States, CA, LA
Joined Sep 2004
11,824 Posts
Oven cleaner works as well
FieldofDreamsFlyer is offline Find More Posts by FieldofDreamsFlyer