SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old May 06, 2014, 09:17 AM
United Kingdom, England, Topsham
Joined Jun 2006
78 Posts
Discussion
Willow 2

As she's now maidened and I'm loving her I guess it's time to share my new girl with you guys.

The Willow 2 is my completely new 2.75m f3f model, fully CAD and CNC cut Aluminium molds has produced a model I'm incredibly proud of.

Now you wouldn't espect me to say anything else but first impressions are that she flys great too!

As making these models is not my way of paying the bills we've managed to keep the price similar to the other models we make.

Ian
http://willowracing.blogspot.co.uk/
dolphin56 is offline Find More Posts by dolphin56
to remove ads between posts
Old May 06, 2014, 06:05 PM
United States, VA, Falls Church
Joined Mar 2007
1,382 Posts
Niiiiice tools!
Daryl Perkins is offline Find More Posts by Daryl Perkins
Old May 14, 2014, 07:52 AM
Joined Jun 2006
78 Posts
Thanks!
I'm incredibly greatful to the experienced guys who helpted me produce the possitives and then molds. I dont think you apreciate the attention to detail and knowledge until the models are coming out of the molds.

I did get to have a good look at the fuselage possitive before it was shipped over.

The results in terms of looks and performance have blown me away

Ian
Old Aug 28, 2014, 07:13 AM
Joined Jun 2006
78 Posts
Although my thumbs haven't been doing my prototype any favours this summer I thought a quick report on the Willow 2 progress.

Iíve been flying the Willow 2 pretty much exclusively this summer as it always seems to be the best model I have for the conditions. Since the prototype Iíve stiffened up the tail and more noticeable weíve changed the control links in the wing so everything is flush.
The extra work on the molds and build really show in lighter air on those thermalling days on rounded slopes, just plane better efficiency with the wing and as all the modelís extremities are lighter the control seems crisper. Keeping the Willowís boom in proportion to he W1 makes it really easy and smooth to fly.
In bigger air she really goes. Family commitments mean that my racing is pretty limited but the W2 can really turn! Iíve had a couple of amazing sessions throwing the W2 off the local big cliffs and really testing out the wing joiner.
Iím really pleased with her- should have set the price higher and convinced everyone she was a more expensive and so has to be faster
Old Aug 28, 2014, 08:44 AM
dare to thermal
Mannheim, Germany
Joined May 2004
690 Posts
Ian, can you tell a bit more about the difference between "Merlin" and "Willow 2" . I can see same size, same weight, DP airfoil, V-tail...

Bernd
Bernd Brunner is offline Find More Posts by Bernd Brunner
Old Aug 28, 2014, 03:02 PM
Joined Jun 2006
78 Posts
Now that’s a tricky one to word correctly.
The Merlin has a liftier section, shorter boom and a bigger tail than the Willow 2. I love the Merlin as a really fun sports model that you can race and I have PB’d with. It reminds me of my wizard compacts in a lot of respects, I guess a sports model you can race.

The span of the W2 is the same as the Merlin but it’s a thinner section- I think a more slippy one. The longer boom helps it to be smoother around the corners and maintains it’s energy really well on the f3f course.

Both of the models have a larger aileron span to flap relative to most models and that helps to make them both fun. The W2 is more a race model you can have fun with. Just my opinion and i’m sure set up can make more difference than most design tweaks.

We’ve improved he manufacturing process over the past years so I certainly couldn’t say either one is built better than the other- they’re both excellent. The CNC molds for the thinner W2 gives a better looking shape and a thinner fuselage.

I love them both.

Ian
Old Sep 03, 2014, 11:32 PM
United States, WA, Tumwater
Joined May 2010
304 Posts
Is anyone in the US carrying the W2? I see the willow and Merlin at Soaring USA. Do they also carry W2?
Mark Anderson is offline Find More Posts by Mark Anderson
Old Sep 04, 2014, 05:34 AM
Joined Jun 2006
78 Posts
Hi Mark
Bob At soaring USA is the dealer for Willow models. drop him a line.

Ian
Old Sep 20, 2014, 12:41 AM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,239 Posts
Just got my Willow 2 today. Ian sent it the 15th and it came today. WOW that was fast. Thank you Ian and it is gorgeous. Will post pics soon.

DJ
Dangerous James is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous James
Old Sep 20, 2014, 10:28 AM
Pompano Hills Flyers
Miami
Joined Aug 2004
1,239 Posts
I think I'm the first one on the eastern seaboard to own a Willow 2

DJ
Dangerous James is offline Find More Posts by Dangerous James
Old Sep 23, 2014, 12:47 PM
Joined Jul 2006
25 Posts
Hi Ian,

not so much flying or why there are no flying reports about the Willow 2?
Slopesoarer is online now Find More Posts by Slopesoarer
Old Sep 24, 2014, 09:01 AM
Joined Jun 2006
78 Posts
Hi Slopesoarer
We have a few of the Willow 2s flying but I guess not everyone wants to write about their flying. I flew mine at the Welsh Open as it's first reall test. A bad landing and 2 course problems limited the number of counting flights but I was absolutly delighted with it's performance. When the air was there she really took off, I was flying reversals mainly and the times were up there at the top of the field.

My thumbs were by far the limiting factor!

ian
Old Sep 24, 2014, 02:23 PM
Joined May 2010
304 Posts
I recieved mine aweek or so ago. Beautiful aircraft. Started the build. Still waiting on a couple of bits
Old Oct 11, 2014, 11:36 PM
Joined May 2010
304 Posts
Got my Willow 2 finished last night. I went with Hyperion DS11s on the ailerons and 13s on the flaps and v tails. The servos in the wing got Fu Fix bearing kits.
We made the 4 hr drive to Eagle Butte this morning for the maiden. The maiden went very well with the wind blowing about 35 and no ballast. After a few radio adjustments we launched her again, this time with a full load of ballast. The Plane flew very well and felt very locked in. Unfortunately about 10 minutes into the flight I had a wing to wing, head on mid air with another plane. About 10 inches of the left tip and the aileron were torn off and the flap servo was popped loose. I managed to get her back to the landing zone, but the other plane lost it's right wing about 10 inches from the root and was heavily damaged when it crashed in the rocks down the slope.
A very disappointing end to a good morning, but in the short time I got to fly it the Willow 2 it flew very well. I can't wait to get it repaired and back in the air.

Mark
Old Oct 12, 2014, 12:20 AM
United States, CA, Torrance
Joined Aug 2004
1,900 Posts
That totally sucks!
concreteman is offline Find More Posts by concreteman