HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 17, 2015, 08:52 PM
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Australia, QLD, Woody Point
Joined Nov 2006
4,888 Posts
Doing a test cut on a laminate of 2 sheets of 12mm Corian. Roughing cut done and just starting the finish cut.This is a wavy surface, which goes through the join line in various places so we can see whether there are any problems with the join (eg particularly the "wafer" of one surface lifting off the glue line).

This was rough cut with a 8mm ball nose, and the finish cut is being done with a radiused endmill - 5mm dia with 2mm corner radius. The finish is incredibly smooth. It's amazing how these high quality SLR photos show more detail than I can see by eye! You can see some fine ridging in the photo, but it's not apparent just looking at it, and can't be felt by hand.

The cut is noisy though. I had heard that corner radius endmills were quieter than flat mills, but this is noisy. I left >2mm material in the rough cut with 2mm stepdowns, so the finish cutter is going thru 3 or 4mm of material ... next time I think I'll go for smaller stepdowns and less material left. The rough cut can be noisy but it's done fairly fast, but the finish cut with fine stepovers takes a long time, so it's an advantage if it's fairly quiet.
AvB is offline Find More Posts by AvB
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 19, 2015, 12:16 AM
Estonia, Harju, Tallinn
Joined May 2012
185 Posts
Can I ask why you would use a ball nose instead of a flat end mill for roughing,
martig is offline Find More Posts by martig
Old Feb 19, 2015, 05:58 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,888 Posts
I won't again!
Old Feb 27, 2015, 02:45 PM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,339 Posts
looks good, what did you laminate with ?
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Feb 27, 2015, 05:02 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,888 Posts
This one was bonded just using Hobby King medium CA. Geoff S read somewhere that the original guy working with acrylics reckoned that CA was probably the best bond. But the glues these days are methylmethacrylate glues, which I understand is preferred, due to the CA's crystallizing over time. We're experimenting with some options for lamination bonding and we have an adhesives supplier sending some samples to try soon, but I wanted to have a look at the CA bond.
Old Feb 27, 2015, 08:20 PM
I hate propellors
Australia, SA, Normanville
Joined May 2009
396 Posts
I've been thinking about the theory behind the problem. When the cutting is done, especially is close to the join, there is a lot of heat as the cut occurs with the coinciding expansion and contraction of the material and glue layers. If the coefficient of expansion is different or the hardness of the layers is different, then this will increase the risk of delamination.

I am wondering if mixing the glue with the powder that Tim uses to make his own "Corian" substitute would result in the glue layer having a coefficients of expansion and hardness more similar to the materials being glued. The trick would be to determine how much powder to mix in to get the right coefficients while maintaining the adhesive properties.

Just a brain waffle. Thought it might help
emufingers is online now Find More Posts by emufingers
Old Feb 27, 2015, 08:29 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,888 Posts
The cut I did has undulations that waver above and below the join line, so a lot of the surface is "worst case scenario" with the surface being either a wafer either side, or right on the CA join. It seems pretty much perfect - even once polished, you can't feel the join line and there's no delamination.
Old Mar 01, 2015, 09:57 AM
Registered Loon
South Africa, WC, Knysna
Joined May 2006
1,339 Posts
yet ....
Blackrat is offline Find More Posts by Blackrat
Old Yesterday, 01:50 AM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,888 Posts
I've not been doing enough serious mould cutting work. It's been a long time since I did the Scratcho moulds and although I've done some smaller moulds, I'm worried that I could lose what skill base I've already learnt. I've been working through some Rhino tutorials, but you have to work on a real project to build the skills.

So I convinced Dave (Larrikin) to get stuck into CNC cutting some moulds for his Wabbit plank. He didn't take much convincing, and since it all had to be drawn up from scratch, he redesigned the wing and renamed it the Rubicon. Build thread is here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2355874

So on Tuesday we got stuck in, initially drawing up the planform to suit Dave's aims. We kept going and by late that afternoon we had the wing completely drawn up and looking good. The next 2 days were busy too - on Thursday cutting, assembling and epoxying the mould working pieces (Hi-Max on ply layers laminated with thick layers of straight and biased glass). Then on Friday fiddling with curves and generating and cutting the toolpaths for roughing and flange facing of the top mould. We had a break over the weekend so as not to upset the neighbors and it was also a big one with my son Nick's 21st party ... then this morning we warmed everything up, rechecked all our zeroes, and ran the finishing cut. It's using a flat 6mm endmill, with 0.6mm increments and is a pretty damn good finish. I also ran small extra cut sections to do the tip paths at an oblique angle to the edge, to avoid ridging the tip edges. Dave's taken it home for polishing, after we did the paths for the trench, alignment holes, and outside profiling.

Still plenty of learning experiences, and lots of head scratching at times, but there's no doubt that by running through the whole process I'm getting to anticipate and avoid the potential traps. And I find myself putting into practice a lot more Rhino skills, and feeling a lot more confident with it, mostly due to lots of patient advice and example from Geoff Sokoll and the Infinite Skills DVD tutorials too.

Bottom side is roughed and flange faced, and I'm hoping to get the finish cut going early tomorrow and have it all finished by late tomorrow arvo.
Last edited by AvB; Yesterday at 02:02 AM.
Old Yesterday, 08:33 AM
Australia, WA, Perth
Joined Mar 2008
182 Posts
Good stuff mate.

Don't want to jinx you but you never forget the mistakes. Their usually a lifetime lesson so if they happen don't get discouraged.

Good to see your getting better faster results on your tool paths once you get your magic speeds, feeds and tool types fill us in
mrmick77 is offline Find More Posts by mrmick77
Old Yesterday, 02:33 PM
PB of 733kph
Christchurch, New Zealand
Joined Jul 2005
5,875 Posts
really cool Andrew, seriously cool. Always follow with great interest. SO good of you to do this for others
ALEX HEWSON is offline Find More Posts by ALEX HEWSON
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 07:01 PM
AvB
Joined Nov 2006
4,888 Posts
With the Corian type stuff, mostly around 14,000rpm and feedrates around 3000mm/min. The 2 flute cutters are really good for getting chips out if you're ripping deep, but mostly I'm using 3 flute flat end mills. The finish planar cuts are generally 6mm flat end mill with 0.5mm stepover, but I do smaller region cuts at the tips that hit the LE pretty much square on, which really makes a big difference. The biggest difficulty for me is the deep profiling when we cut the final shape out. I busted an expensive cutter doing that yesterday. Still a bit to learn there.