HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 28, 2013, 09:39 AM
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Oct 2011
29 Posts
Discussion
HK SkyEasy Traine/Glider

Picked up the HobbyKing Sky Easy which is listed as both a trainer and glider on their site. Found it to be a quick build, great flyer and easy to repair after three weeks of flights.
I've had it in the air for over 4 hours continuously. It meets all the requirements of a good trainer while being an excellent glider. It will slowy do all the areobatics to include hover ( with a wind it will just stop in the air).
It does have two characteristics - when power is aplied in flight it will dip before climbing almost straight up! The power to weight ratio is perfect to the point it is almost over powered! It climbs at 70m degrees until you cut the throttle.
Second - the prop spins the motor when shut down leading to alot of drag. This does slow down the glide ALOT. it is not bad in that is takes a long time to come down from altitude because of this. I will try a folding prop in the future but it's not something that is a problem.
I have added 14grams of weight to the nose. With the stock battery (800MaH) it has a great glide when there is no wind and with a heavier 1300 MaH battery in the wind (up to 25 mph) it flies like on rails without being pushed around by turbulence. (we had an anemometer to measure wind speed with us).
I'll post some photos but really wanted to see what others thought of this bird since it doesn't come with CG specs or any other useful flight information.

feldmarshal1
feldmarshal1 is offline Find More Posts by feldmarshal1
Last edited by feldmarshal1; Jan 30, 2013 at 09:01 AM. Reason: Add Photos
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2013, 09:02 PM
United States, GA, Dacula
Joined Feb 2011
26 Posts
I got one delivered about two weeks ago and have had a couple of chances to fly it. First... this motor screams... altitude isn't a problem, and the prop does spin when in free flight, but I can make the battery last 20min if I want. Very good 4 channel trainer.
dacula is offline Find More Posts by dacula
Old Mar 05, 2013, 02:43 PM
UK
Joined Aug 2004
148 Posts
It's a quirky plane - I like it!

With you prop freewheeling it will add quite a bit of drag as you say. Have you tried enabling the brake on your ESC? This may well stop the prop and give you a better glide.
albertofkent is offline Find More Posts by albertofkent
Old Jun 23, 2013, 04:54 PM
Russia, Moscow, g. Moskva
Joined Mar 2005
3,298 Posts
where is CG at this glider ?
Thank.
Adekamer is online now Find More Posts by Adekamer
Old Jul 15, 2013, 09:03 PM
Jack Xie
China
Joined Nov 2009
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adekamer View Post
where is CG at this glider ?
Thank.

More info, check out Here.
tymodel is offline Find More Posts by tymodel
Old Jul 16, 2013, 09:04 AM
United States, AL, Smiths Station
Joined Oct 2011
29 Posts
CG measurement

Quote:
Originally Posted by tymodel View Post

More info, check out Here.
90mm from the front point of the wing + or - 10mm.

In windy conditions I use a heavier 1300Mah battery for good penetration. During calm conditions a 1000Mah battery. Either way I've gotten over 35 minute flights on these batteries.

haven't tried the esc breaking, but the freewheeling prop really hasn't bother the flight in my opinion.

Have tried a folding prop found it to slow down the rpm because of the weight of the spinner. Need to find a lighter folding prop in the future.

I've been doing touch and goes a lot with it, but you must watch the sudden throttle because she'll nose down with a sudden increase of throttle. Otherwise we done ROG take offs by holding the tail, throttling up and releasing it across the tarmac. Cool, fast take off!
feldmarshal1 is offline Find More Posts by feldmarshal1
Old Sep 11, 2013, 10:53 PM
Jack Xie
China
Joined Nov 2009
215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by feldmarshal1 View Post
Picked up the HobbyKing Sky Easy which is listed as both a trainer and glider on their site. Found it to be a quick build, great flyer and easy to repair after three weeks of flights.
I've had it in the air for over 4 hours continuously. It meets all the requirements of a good trainer while being an excellent glider. It will slowy do all the areobatics to include hover ( with a wind it will just stop in the air).
It does have two characteristics - when power is aplied in flight it will dip before climbing almost straight up! The power to weight ratio is perfect to the point it is almost over powered! It climbs at 70m degrees until you cut the throttle.
Second - the prop spins the motor when shut down leading to alot of drag. This does slow down the glide ALOT. it is not bad in that is takes a long time to come down from altitude because of this. I will try a folding prop in the future but it's not something that is a problem.
I have added 14grams of weight to the nose. With the stock battery (800MaH) it has a great glide when there is no wind and with a heavier 1300 MaH battery in the wind (up to 25 mph) it flies like on rails without being pushed around by turbulence. (we had an anemometer to measure wind speed with us).
I'll post some photos but really wanted to see what others thought of this bird since it doesn't come with CG specs or any other useful flight information.

feldmarshal1
Yes it is a super Glider and spare parts can be found on JRC Model
tymodel is offline Find More Posts by tymodel
Old Sep 23, 2014, 02:52 AM
Belgium, Walloon Region, Namur
Joined Feb 2014
41 Posts
Kit from HK

Quote:
Originally Posted by feldmarshal1 View Post

feldmarshal1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dacula View Post
I got one delivered about two weeks ago and have had a couple of chances to fly it. First... this motor screams... altitude isn't a problem, and the prop does spin when in free flight, but I can make the battery last 20min if I want. Very good 4 channel trainer.
Hello,

Sorry to dig out this post.
There are very few informations about motor (Brushless 2730-2000kv...) and prop that suit to the Skyeasy Glider.
HobbyKing sell both PNF and Kit versions.
What motor and prop (size ?) would you recommend for that glider ?

Many thanks,
Ivan
kittyhawk1974 is online now Find More Posts by kittyhawk1974
Old Sep 30, 2014, 03:03 AM
Grand-Duchy of Luxembourg
Joined Sep 2005
265 Posts
So, did it work out?
Aender69 is offline Find More Posts by Aender69
Old Oct 02, 2014, 02:38 AM
Joined Sep 2005
265 Posts
Skyeasy Glider for FPV

Well, as I found that the Skyeasy in its 'normal' setup could take an additional load, I simply strapped my FPV-Bixler 2 Canopy to it, quick and dirty-style.

Result: Tons of fun, Skyeasy is about the ideal size for a parkfly-style FPV ship..

As the Skyeasy's handling is so exact and sharp, it wasn't really a surprise even considering that the FPV equipment weighs about a hundred grams.

I was so astonished of the quality of the FPV-Flight, I forgot to take proper pictures (they will come later-- or should I start a thread, I think so).
Old Oct 02, 2014, 05:16 AM
Belgium, Walloon Region, Namur
Joined Feb 2014
41 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aender69 View Post
Well, as I found that the Skyeasy in its 'normal' setup could take an additional load.
Did you fly the stock PNF version (the one with the 2730 motor) or did you install your own motor setup ?

Ivan
kittyhawk1974 is online now Find More Posts by kittyhawk1974
Old Oct 02, 2014, 08:58 AM
Joined Sep 2005
265 Posts
I had this motor lying around:

http://www.hoelleinshop.com/Alles-fu...=36418&p=36418

I've been very happy with these for years, as they are high-Q and very durable (I know!).

Current draw with a HK 7x5 no-name prop is less than 8 amps. I might go for a 7x6.

Another option I will try out is the HK motor with 3000kv. Link: http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...?strSearch=hxm

I ordered a 10 gram Video transmitter to install in lieu of the Boscam 200mw I have ( weight: hefty 30 grams)

The whole thing then installed correctly in a streamlined form into the original SkyEasy canopy, and we're talking of an additional load of less than 65 grams... including a 360mah 3s battery as power source for the cam/VTx.

I will have power and space left to install any of my 2S batteries, ranging from 500mah to 1800mah.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 10:06 AM
Joined Oct 2005
630 Posts
Hello guys,

Received it from HK england.
Huge box, but still an aileron horn broken, and tail EPO pice unglued.
I will add FPV gear, mobius and auto pilot. That is 120 grams more.

- I have cut the motor plug flat to glue a piece of wood and thus be able to try different bigger motors
- I took the glass cockpit and the pilot out, and replaced it with a Mobus action cam
- I have put a 6x4 APC prop ;
- I installed the bixler 2 motor ;
- I replaced the rudder and elevator crappy horns with quality ones ;
- I replaced the flimsy rudder and elevator cables ;
- tail does not seem very rigid despite the existing tube, but I left it as it is thinking the plane will be light anyway.
- I taped the ailerons as I will use it the 3 channel way (rudder/elevator only).

Maiden flight today
philgib is offline Find More Posts by philgib
Last edited by philgib; Dec 24, 2014 at 08:04 AM.
Old Dec 24, 2014, 05:19 AM
Joined Oct 2005
630 Posts
Who is the designer of that plane ?

I thought that only 2 meter planes could be that stable without gyros. Maiden flight was amazing despite light but gusty wind.
It climbs like a rocket, glide motor off is not amazing but is OK, it can make 180 degree curbs within a 5 meters radius and the noise it makes when landing is... .exceptional by its lightness.

A big change to my heavy penguin !
Last edited by philgib; Dec 24, 2014 at 06:54 AM.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 08:38 AM
Joined Oct 2005
630 Posts
My SkyEasy weighs now 20 ounces now (560 grams) and still flies fine without ailerons, meaning I can fight stronger winds...

I am actually going to add 40 grams with a larger battery and i will be all set. Gotta love it...