Old Jan 13, 2015, 05:24 AM
Find More Posts by babblefish
Yes, that is Jamie
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,838 Posts
Discussion
Planking material used in Billing Boats

I'm building a St. Canute as my first true planked hull model and might run out of the kit supplied planking due to my mistakes. Just wondering if anyone knows what type of wood Billing uses in their planked hull kits because I may have to cut more, but need to know what to use. I plan to paint the hull so color and grain doesn't have to match the kit material. I'm learning a lot though and even with my boo boo's, it's coming along nicely. There's a Dumas Typhoon that has been sitting on the shelf for many years awaiting my attention, but I want to make most of my learning mistakes on something simpler first.

- Wes

Edit: I just realized that it might be Obeche, if so, I don't know where to buy it so is there another good wood to use that is more readily available? Guess it needs to be flexible or at least made that way with a good ammonia soak.
babblefish is offline Find More Posts by babblefish
Last edited by babblefish; Jan 13, 2015 at 07:11 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 13, 2015, 08:31 AM
Find More Posts by patmat2350
Vita ex Machinis
Motor City
Joined Dec 2004
13,476 Posts
I'd have no qualms using basswood.
patmat2350 is offline Find More Posts by patmat2350
Old Jan 13, 2015, 02:55 PM
Yes, that is Jamie
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350 View Post
I'd have no qualms using basswood.
Thanks, I was thinking the same. Basswood is cheap and easy to get.
Old Jan 14, 2015, 05:52 PM
Find More Posts by CGAux26
United States, TX, Tomball
Joined Aug 2007
767 Posts
I am building a Dumas kit (CG36500), with a balsa planked hull. I found their balsa to be too soft and easy to break, so I bought replacement balsa planks on the Midwest website. I had used their balsa on a previous build with good results. And the Midwest balsa worked well on the Dumas kit.
CGAux26 is offline Find More Posts by CGAux26
Old Jan 14, 2015, 06:56 PM
Yes, that is Jamie
SF Bay Area, CA
Joined Jul 2002
1,838 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CGAux26 View Post
I am building a Dumas kit (CG36500), with a balsa planked hull. I found their balsa to be too soft and easy to break, so I bought replacement balsa planks on the Midwest website. I had used their balsa on a previous build with good results. And the Midwest balsa worked well on the Dumas kit.
That sounds good. From my experience, Midwest balsa is usually mostly medium density so should be good for planking. I'm leaning towards using basswood because it's a bit stronger and I'm a bit rough on my boats.