New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 15, 2014, 11:55 AM
Find More Posts by SOSx
Joined May 2014
376 Posts
Discussion
S.O.S carbon fiber micro quad and hex frames development and testing thread

Hello to all mini/micro/nano multi rotor pilots and fpv'ers,

I'm editing this first post to give some more upto date information so as to make it more relevant as things have moved on somewhat from when I first started the thread back in september.

So firstly a bit of back ground on me and why I started the thread

My name is Tim and I live in the UK. I run a small business cnc manufacturing high quality speaker cabinets for OEM and private clients. Now me and a group of close friends all re-discovering RC 6-7 years ago when we started racing micro rc cars started rc car racing and have since all become addicts to everything RC
With the cars we were racing there were obvious flaws that needed to be addressed so me and my then business partner started designing upgrades/ hop ups to over come these short falls. Now after posting pictures of the parts on other racing forums we started getting requests for the parts from others. Quickly the popularity grew for the parts so we set a small side "business" and website so that we could offer the small range we had.

Now over the last couple of years we have all well and truly gotten hooked by the multi-rotor scene and FPV. Once again the engineer in me started thinking up new frame designs. And after a while I decided to start a thread and see if:-
1. There was any interest in where I was going with the designs.
2. To get some help with testing and development from other knowledgeable pilots so as to get suggestions and speed up development.

So the first frame I posted images of is what I am now calling the SOS "MicroX" V1.

Now I decided I would run a small test batch and that I would offer the frame in both 1.5mm CF (really for single plate setups) and 0.75mm CF(for double plate setups).
Well everyone took the twin 0.75mm set so the 1.5mm was made redundant strait way.

Feedback on the V1 was generally good although the consensus was that the following needed changing:-

1. Reduce weight further.
2. make the motor mounts a tighter fit.

So I went about addressing these issues and after another couple of prototypes I had the SOS MicroX V2 ready for a small test release.

So I released another test batch and the feedback was excellent. The frames are proving to be very strong (all be it not indestructible) with good flight characteristics and flight duration . Also the video output is nice and smooth with virtually no visible vibration. This has now had several small production runs and is proving really quite popular.

So now in December I began development work on another frame idea that had come to me while drifting off to sleep one night. The aim of this design was to be as flexible in use and setup as possible offering both ultra light acro setups as well fully featured fpv setups. After about 20 designs and a few prototypes this is what I cam up with:- The Wasp 110 (first beta)

So I did a very small test run of 4 sets and sent them out to a few people I had got to know during testing of the MicroX v1 and v2 frames. Again feedback was very good but there were still things I was not completely satisfied with with so after couple more reworks we have now got to this :- Wasp 110 (Beta v2)

Basic acro setup - Wasp 110 main Plate set

Damped FC acro setup - Wasp main plate set + AP1

FPV setup 1 - Wasp main plate set + AP2

FPV setup 1 - Wasp main plate set + AP3

Now at this point I released a first proper test batch of this frame and and feedback was again excellent. The only minor change was to add 0.4mm to both the carbon main plate and motor mounts around the screw holes as a coupe of people had issues with these. It was a minor change but I think should mean we see almost no more failures at this point.

So now both of these models are essentially in "pre production" sales and I have built up reasonable stock level of both sets and aim to try and maintain this level. These are still currently still available via pm from my self in the UK or John tivet / micro_builder1 if you are in the states.

UK Prices are as follows
Wasp 110 Basic frame set 1mm (main plate with motor mounts & screws) = 14
Acro Plate + dampers = 4.65
VA100 Camera Plate + dampers = 5.65
Full FPV Plate + dampers = 6.65

SOSx "Micro X v2" 130 Basic frame set (main plates with motor mounts & screws) = 18
Battery/Cargo Plate + dampers = 4.25
Camera Plate + dampers = 3

Shipping within the UK is 3.20 GBP
International shipping will be 8.80 GBP
Shipped with Tracking where possible.

US Prices are as follows
SOSx "Wasp 110" basic carbon frame set 1mm (main plate with motor mounts & screws) = $22.50
Acro Plate + dampers = $7.50
VA1100 Camera Plate + dampers = $9.00
Full FPV Plate + dampers = $10.50
Spare 8.5mm motor mount set with screws for Wasp110 = $9.50

SOSx "Micro X v2" 130mm main frame set (main plates with motor mounts & screws) = $27.50
Battery holder/Cargo plate + dampers = $4.75
Camera/FPV plate + dampers = $7.00
Spare 8.5mm motor mount set with screws for Micro X = $11.00
Spare upper main frame plate for Micro X = $12.00
Spare lower main frame plate for Micro X = $12.00

Shipping and handling 7.00 Priority 2 Day shipping with tracking number (C-USA ONLY)

If you read though the thread you will see I am also working on several other quad and hex ideas and hope to have more frames designs out being tested soon.

Now due to how the interest seems to be soaring I do intend to put this on a slightly more regular footing and am currently having my website reworked so that we can supply the frames more consistently.

The web address' for this will be both sos-x.co.uk/

The new website will go live once I finish testing some of these new designs until then can US/North American sales enquiries please be directed to John Tivet (Micro_builder1 on here) for European or the rest of the world contact me via PM.

Please keep reading through the thread as there are other developments on the way including several more brushed and brushless frame designs
SOSx is offline Find More Posts by SOSx
Last edited by SOSx; Apr 09, 2015 at 10:30 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 15, 2014, 05:48 PM
Find More Posts by vpsporb
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Dec 2011
2,028 Posts
Hey, those are some cool designs for a Micro CF frame I must say, and am interested in a full 0.75mm kit. It should be tough enough @that thickness for a durable conversion of a "Ladybird FPV quad" yes? Later-on I plan to build it into a micro FPV Alienwii quad or use the thicker frame if need be.

I've started to fly FPV just recently with the micro H107D and my mid-sized v.1Ladybird /V959 Hybrid w/GWS props, and am currently building my 1 of 2 dedicated FPV rigs, 1= KK2 1.5 NightHawk 250Pro Emax 1806 2280kv 400mw VTX Sony EFFIO-V cam FPV Quad, and I'll likely settle on 1 good CF micro FPV quad in the near-ish future to go with, I figures.

What is the ETA of the frame kits?
vpsporb is offline Find More Posts by vpsporb
Old Sep 15, 2014, 06:09 PM
Find More Posts by luca biada
Team WarpSquad
Joined Jun 2014
550 Posts
very nice, i'm interested too
luca biada is offline Find More Posts by luca biada
Old Sep 15, 2014, 07:56 PM
Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
22,722 Posts
I would also be interested.

need any testers for fpv applications?
Razors edge 29 is online now Find More Posts by Razors edge 29
Old Sep 15, 2014, 08:20 PM
Find More Posts by Flying glass
obey gravity, it's the law
USA, IL, Rockford
Joined Nov 2005
604 Posts
I want one of each!!! So many possibilities
Flying glass is offline Find More Posts by Flying glass
Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:00 AM
Find More Posts by SOSx
Joined May 2014
376 Posts
Well thanks for the good feed back guys

Got about 10 packs of torture testing through a twin 1.5mm setup (no accessory plates) last night and it took everything I threw at it (I'm a much better engineer than I am pilot).

@ vpsporb - I think the 0.75 mm will be an excellent balance of strength and weight for a twin plate setup. I was flying it in a twin 1.5mm setup all last night and it seems to be ridiculously strong, very stable yet still very agile. The 1.5mm single will again have a good balance of strength to weight and would on its own will also make a pretty good acro frame.

I expect to have the carbon shipment arrive by the end of the week but maybe Monday and i should be able to cut them all the same day
So I expect to be able to start shipping this test batch by Tuesday next week.

@ Luca - Good stuff. Nice to see some of the experienced micro flyers here are appreciating the designs.

@ Razors Edge - Same goes as Luca nice to see experienced micro flyers here.

I would love to give some test units away but on such a small run it is difficult. I am having one of each set off the first batch as are Lance (Alienquads) and probably Benedikt (MMWH) as they have helped me by providing the AlienWii for development.

What I would be prepared to do is offer free expedited shipping to you or any one else if you are prepared to do a quick flight video and write some feedback / suggestions for future development on here.

@ Flying glass - Again another knowledgeable contributor good to see you.
I don't want to put them up on our website (http://sos-mmrc.com/) until we have some feedback from this test so for this batch.

If you or anyone else who wants one of this test batch can send me a pm with your Paypal email address and shipping details. I will create a paypal invoice for what you want and send it to you. Once the frames are cut and ready to ship I'll ask you to pay the invoice.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:37 AM
Find More Posts by SOSx
Joined May 2014
376 Posts
I should note I'm working on another couple of accessory plates that will make it even more flexible with its payload options.

Now regarding the mention of micro Hex frames in the title.
I really want to discuss this more as I personally think that for true hobby grade micro FPV capability Hex is the way forward!!

To make a micro Hex requires only a fraction more material than a quad so you can achieve a much better power to weight ratio than with a quad.

A simplified non specific example for a Quad:-

10g = frame weight
20g = motor weight (5g per motor)
5g = FC
15g = battery

So total weight = 50g
As a basic example well say were using Hubsan 8.5mm motors and props producing about 30g thrust each so 120g total trust.

This gives us a thrust to weight ratio of 2.4:1
If we say we need a minimum trust to weight ratio of 2:1 to fly.
40% of the weight is only 20g payload that can be carried

Now a simplified non specific Hex example:-

13g = frame weight (I think a hex is possible for only 30% more frame weight)
30g = motor weight
5g = FC weight
22.5g = Battery weight (based on 50% more to maintain same flight time)

So total weight = 70.5g
Again well say were using Hubsan 8.5mm motors and props producing about 30g thrust each so in this case 180g total trust.

This gives us a thrust to weight ratio of 2.55:1
so again if we say we need a minimum trust to weight ratio of 2:1 to fly.
40% of the hex weight is 28g payload that can be carried.

8g may not seem like lot to some but that's a decased 808#16 v3 and these no's would be even higher if you were looking at some of the higher powered motors that can produce almost 40g thrust each
Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:46 AM
Find More Posts by SOSx
Joined May 2014
376 Posts
Another benefit of hex is the possibility of motor redundancy (with the right fc programming).
For "relatively" cheap micro fpv frame carrying "relatively" expensive fpv equipment this is a good idea i think.

I am trying to persuade Lance from Alienquads to produce an Alienwii with more outputs and he says he's considering it and possibly even with other pins outs available (do I hear you say ohhh!! ). But at the moment he's only considering it but maybe if some interest was shown here in the idea of a Micro MW AIO Hex/Oct FC he would be more inclined to do it.
Old Sep 16, 2014, 02:58 PM
Find More Posts by SOSx
Joined May 2014
376 Posts
No thought's on the subject of Hex over quad for micro FPV.

I'm tempted to get one of the Eachine x6 boards to do some frame / load capacity testing but the board does look a bit big. Anybody here know the fc board size?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 03:13 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
22,722 Posts
not I

a hex would be great though
Old Sep 16, 2014, 03:47 PM
Find More Posts by SOSx
Joined May 2014
376 Posts
Guess I'll have to ask on the x6 thread.

What's your micro fpv setup / setups Razor?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:03 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
22,722 Posts
I have a few

guizmos nano 5.8 fatshark

also fpv hobby newer light 50-100mw unit

also have some light cams
Old Sep 16, 2014, 04:44 PM
Find More Posts by SOSx
Joined May 2014
376 Posts
How do you find the nano fat shark vs fpv hobby 50-100 (I presume the split frequency band 1.9g unit)?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 05:02 PM
QuAd FaNaTiC
Canada
Joined Aug 2009
22,722 Posts
I have a brand new one to test - first has issues and they sent me replacement.

I had to add LC filter to first one which wasn't desirable, so, here;s hoping this one is better.

what do u use?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOSx View Post
How do you find the nano fat shark vs fpv hobby 50-100 (I presume the split frequency band 1.9g unit)?
Old Sep 16, 2014, 05:11 PM
Find More Posts by SOSx
Joined May 2014
376 Posts
i'm just looking at component options for this frame now although will almost certainly get one of the new spektrum va1100 aio units to try as 4.5g is a good weight and it will sit perfectly on front camera mount / accessory plate 1. I must say the 50-100mw dual band unit from fpv hobby has been catching my eye as a few friends run fat shark/immersion gear.

I have a TR1 for my 260 quad.