New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2014, 04:31 AM
Find More Posts by bomberuk26
Joined Jan 2014
6 Posts
Discussion
Fatshark predator for long sighted people

hi
is any one flying with the predator v2 and have trouble with seeing the screen clearly,as i am quite long sighted and wear reading glasses, will it be an issue,i would like to get into fpv flying.
bomberuk26 is offline Find More Posts by bomberuk26
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2014, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by bauerbach
Joined Oct 2012
2,164 Posts
the glasses have built in optics which simulate a viewing distance of 1.5M. If this is not in your visible range they sell a diopter pack which has a few prescription levels that slid into place to adjust it further. Hopefully one of these will provide a suitable result.
bauerbach is offline Find More Posts by bauerbach
Old Feb 03, 2014, 12:50 PM
Find More Posts by carcynic
Fun until flying robots attack
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2013
449 Posts
I am also far sighted. My distance vision is still better than 20/20, but I wear reading glasses for the close up stuff.

The focus of the FS Predator V2's was not quite far enough to put it in my good distance vision.

I got a pair of cheap reading glasses and cut out small rectangles from the center that fit in the Fat Sharks.

I made them simply by using my callipers to measure the slots that the diopter lenses fit in. I then cut and shaped them with a Dremel tool.

I used 1.5 reading glasses, but if I do it again, I will make them from a little bit stronger reading glasses.

It made the image clearer for me, and slightly larger, without causing distortion.

Even my son, who has "normal" young peoples' vision said it made the image larger, and was a definite improvement.

The home-made lenses also have the advantage of protecting the internal lenses from dirt or scratches. I rarely have to clean anything but the removable ones I made.

The right one falls out sometimes because I guess I got a little too "happy" with the dremel sander, but the rubber eyepieces hold it in. I could easily fix it by building up the edge with a bit of tape.

Cover both sides of the lenses of the reading glasses with blue painter's tape before you even begin. This way you can handle/cut/sand them without scratching them.

As I said, I made my own measurements with callipers, but there are dimensions/instructions that can be found by using good search engine technique.
carcynic is online now Find More Posts by carcynic
Old Mar 09, 2015, 04:12 PM
Find More Posts by austntexan
weniger, aber besser
United States, NC, Raleigh
Joined Dec 2012
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcynic View Post
I am also far sighted. My distance vision is still better than 20/20, but I wear reading glasses for the close up stuff.

The focus of the FS Predator V2's was not quite far enough to put it in my good distance vision.

I got a pair of cheap reading glasses and cut out small rectangles from the center that fit in the Fat Sharks.

I made them simply by using my callipers to measure the slots that the diopter lenses fit in. I then cut and shaped them with a Dremel tool.

I used 1.5 reading glasses, but if I do it again, I will make them from a little bit stronger reading glasses.

It made the image clearer for me, and slightly larger, without causing distortion.

Even my son, who has "normal" young peoples' vision said it made the image larger, and was a definite improvement.

The home-made lenses also have the advantage of protecting the internal lenses from dirt or scratches. I rarely have to clean anything but the removable ones I made.

The right one falls out sometimes because I guess I got a little too "happy" with the dremel sander, but the rubber eyepieces hold it in. I could easily fix it by building up the edge with a bit of tape.

Cover both sides of the lenses of the reading glasses with blue painter's tape before you even begin. This way you can handle/cut/sand them without scratching them.

As I said, I made my own measurements with callipers, but there are dimensions/instructions that can be found by using good search engine technique.
I know this is an old post, but I was wondering if you could take a quick photo of your mod?

I just bought a pair of the new Dom V2, and I'm wondering if they must've moved the monitors closer in because I can't quite focus on them. I don't have issues with my RCV, Dominator I, or Base versions.

If I pull them away from my face a few mm I can get there but just wearing normally. . .they're slightly out of focus. I think I need to install some Walgreen "cheaters" in.
austntexan is offline Find More Posts by austntexan
Old Mar 09, 2015, 05:17 PM
Find More Posts by DanT
United States, TX
Joined Feb 2006
1,883 Posts
Ok here is a tip, from someone that had to make my own lens for Fatshark.
First,, the lens that Fatshark makes,, won't work for anyone that is not,,!!! Near sighted ( can't see faraway or put it another way,, if you need glasses to see things a distance but can read print without glasses Fatshark lens won't work for you!!
So,, guys like us need + lenses Fatshark only sells - lenses.
So here is what I did,, go to dollar store get some different strength readers . now find something with print that you ,,,( can't,,, read without your glasses ) now stand 6 to 7 feet distance from what ever your using for print,, when you put on readers ,, find one that will let you see the printing at 6 to 7 feet,,,!! Those are the ones you want to make for goggles..!!
GOOD luck.
I made mine what way and one other buddy did also,, works great for both of us!
Dan
DanT is online now Find More Posts by DanT
Old Mar 10, 2015, 12:05 PM
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2013
449 Posts
I'll try to remember to post some picts, but what DanT said is 100% correct.

You can even get fairly decent reading glasses at the Dollar Store, and since you are going to cut them up, there is no sense paying more.

I carefully measured the rectangular size of the slot in the FatSharks where they go, and just scribbed a rectangle that size onto the lenses.

Center the rectangles just slightly inside of the center of the lens area (you want the center of the active part of the glasses, where your eyes actually look through)

When you cut, remember that you can always remove more material later to get a perfect fit.

Then I had to mill down about 1 - 2 mm allong the top and bottom edge to make the edges of the lenses able to slide into the goggles. Due to the curvature of the lens, you have to mill more in the middle of each edge than at the ends.

You want a flat edge, or "wings" on the top and bottom so they fit properly.

I got a little carried away with the Dremmel tool, and one side will fall right out. It's not really a problem, as the rubber eye cap keeps it in place.

As you can see from the post dates, I have been using mine for a year now, and I hardly know they are there. When I have to clean the fog, I am wipping my plastic inserts, not the actual FatShark Lenses, so I have saved hundreds of potential scratches.
Old Mar 10, 2015, 10:45 PM
weniger, aber besser
Joined Dec 2012
1,024 Posts
@ DanT and carcynic. . . thanks guys. That is a crazy 'prescription' (sorry, couldn't resist). I will definitely do this. Other than my farsightedness issue, the goggles are really good. Nice and bright, with detail I can't focus on. lol Thanks again guys!
Old Mar 26, 2015, 06:22 PM
United States, FL
Joined Oct 2013
449 Posts
Perhaps a bit late, but as promised, pictures of my home made FatShark magnifiers.

The second picture shows how the top and bottom edges are thinned (flattened) so that they side in easily.
Old May 18, 2015, 09:12 AM
weniger, aber besser
Joined Dec 2012
1,024 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carcynic View Post
Perhaps a bit late, but as promised, pictures of my home made FatShark magnifiers.

The second picture shows how the top and bottom edges are thinned (flattened) so that they side in easily.
That looks like stock lenses. Great work and thank you for posting these!