New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by WBE, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 05:26 PM
WBE
Find More Posts by WBE
WBE
White Fang
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Aug 2005
737 Posts
Discussion
Mercs forever

Here's a car I had to have back in 1985 when I was a kid. Couldn't find one anywhere in my hometown so placed an ad in the L.A. times, "wanted, 49-51 Mercury, any condition, will pay cash" (at 22 I didn't really HAVE any cash but that's how the ad read).

About a week went by and this nice elderly man called me and said he was thinking about getting rid of his 1950 Mercury and if I was interested he'd let me have first crack at it. So me and my young wife drove out to L.A. from Vegas and met up with the seller and took the test drive.

I was sure the $2500 we had was not going to be nearly enough for this car. It was in darn-near perfect condition. He said he was thinking about $3750 for it.

I offered him $2000 and he very politely shook his head. I then said we would go have some lunch, go to the bank and see how much more we could get, then come back.

We came back after lunch and I said, 'Mr Duce, this car is worth every penny that you're asking, but would you take $2300 dollars for it because that's about all we have'. He said we seemed like nice kids and that he'd sell us the car.

That was 27 years, 2 kids and 2 houses ago. Still with the same girl.

Bill (third owner of a nice old '50 Merc)
WBE is offline Find More Posts by WBE
Last edited by WBE; Jul 16, 2012 at 09:43 PM.
Old Jul 17, 2012, 01:10 AM
Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Taking care of the pond.
United States, CA, Sanger
Joined Apr 2004
7,564 Posts
Nice car, great story.
MILLERTIME is offline Find More Posts by MILLERTIME
Old Jul 25, 2012, 07:34 AM
Find More Posts by seanpcola
ein flugel schplinterizer
USA, FL, Pensacola
Joined Sep 2004
5,097 Posts
Awesome story and the car looks pristine! You probably have one of the last '50 Mercs that hasn't been hammered and dropped.
seanpcola is offline Find More Posts by seanpcola
Old Jul 30, 2012, 10:18 PM
Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
First to go over 106K feet
United States, TX, Waxahachie
Joined Mar 2008
2,503 Posts
Very nice Bill.
Crist Rigotti is offline Find More Posts by Crist Rigotti
Old Aug 02, 2012, 03:14 PM
Find More Posts by barry wilson
amherst,nova scotia,canada
Joined Nov 2003
787 Posts
I had a fifty mercury myself actually preffered it over the fifty one.. An original style radio should be located before too much more time goes by if you have not already. It can be converted internally to modern electronic standards.
barry wilson is offline Find More Posts by barry wilson