HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:23 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,858 Posts
WARNING: Saxguy may be seen much more on RCGroups. There has been a serious mistake by the US Army that allowed him to retire today after 25 years.
Saxguy1000 is offline Find More Posts by Saxguy1000
to remove ads between posts
Old Dec 03, 2012, 08:55 PM
St. Louis, Mo.
Joined Jun 2008
394 Posts
Congratulations.
rwek is offline Find More Posts by rwek
Old Dec 03, 2012, 09:45 PM
United States, VA, Arlington
Joined Jan 2011
221 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saxguy1000 View Post
WARNING: Saxguy may be seen much more on RCGroups. There has been a serious mistake by the US Army that allowed him to retire today after 25 years.
Congratulations! I just had one buddy retire a couple months ago, and another retires on the 12th. Alas, I have 43 more payments to make on the ex-wife before I can...

v/r,
C-F
CANNONFODDER0 is offline Find More Posts by CANNONFODDER0
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:10 PM
Seizure Awareness Month
United States, MA, Malden
Joined Mar 2008
11,607 Posts
Quote:
Congratulations Sir, and a big thank you for your service. Now you will have spare time to join and contribute to the VFW. If I remember, your service over seas makes you eligible...Comrade

Mike.
Chap1012 is offline Find More Posts by Chap1012
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:35 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post
Congratulations Sir, and a big thank you for your service. Now you will have spare time to join and contribute to the VFW. If I remember, your service over seas makes you eligible...Comrade

Mike.
"Comrade"? No no Mike - not THAT army!
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Dec 03, 2012, 10:42 PM
Look ma, no hands!
United States, WI, Sheboygan
Joined Aug 2011
1,252 Posts
Quote:
Congratulations! It's hard enough to make 20; 25 is a real achievement.
1Pilgrim is offline Find More Posts by 1Pilgrim
Old Dec 03, 2012, 11:29 PM
USAF Retired - 1968-1988
United States, IL, Mascoutah
Joined Dec 2010
3,321 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1Pilgrim View Post
As one vet to another...congrats!

1968-1988 USAF Retired
Jake8131 is offline Find More Posts by Jake8131
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:28 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Congratulations that man. I am sure your family are now breathing a sigh of relief.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post

1968-1988 USAF Retired
You have an unfair advantage in this RC game
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Dec 04, 2012, 05:33 AM
United Kingdom, England, Kent
Joined Sep 2012
451 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
I've recently bought the Phoenix simulator but have for several years been using RealFlight.

My experience with Phoenix is good for fixed wing aircraft but poor for helis but I only spent a short time with the heli simulation. Based on that RealFlight is much more suitable for helis
The variations in flying venues is fun and interesting though. Graphics are mostly good except for their renditions of water and water landings.

I bought Phoenix because it has the models I've built - the S.E.5a, Super Cub, T-28, and a few others in addition to some that I may want in the future. It mimics the actual flying behaviour fairly well. Helicopters is another matter. I have the 120, an mCP-x, Blade 400 3D, an Align 450 and a few more. RealFlight does a much better job of mimicking actual behaviour of helis from what I've experienced so far.
I do like it for playing with the planes I have when weather doesn't permit outside flying. It also lets me do things that would be risky with the real thing without fear of expensive repairs and downtime.
This is definitely something I will need to look into as I wanted it primarily for helis. The only bad thing I heard about phoenix was that the helis weren't that realistic compared with the actual models.
SR120 fan is offline Find More Posts by SR120 fan
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:11 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chap1012 View Post

Mike.
Thanks, Mike. Been a member since '94.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 06:22 AM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,858 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rwek View Post
Congratulations.
Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CANNONFODDER0 View Post
Congratulations! I just had one buddy retire a couple months ago, and another retires on the 12th. Alas, I have 43 more payments to make on the ex-wife before I can...

v/r,
C-F
Yep... It's amazing what can contribute to motivation to go to war!

Quote:
"Comrade"? No no Mike - not THAT army!
haha - There's a song that we sing a lot "Old Comrades." It's an international thing that Americans can share, too! Kind of like that stupid French beret I had to wear.

Quote:
Yes, thanks. No kidding. I probably wouldn't have done it, but when 20 of your years were doing peace time service, and your country calls you up to do the "hard" work, I refused to quit until they said they had enough of me!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake8131 View Post

1968-1988 USAF Retired
Keep them in the air!!!! My son is 9 year Air Force. I know you did the "hard" work!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SR120 fan View Post
Congratulations that man. I am sure your family are now breathing a sigh of relief.

You have an unfair advantage in this RC game
It is nice to be able to concentrate on my hobbies now... I really don't think Jake's got an advantage unless he's flying those full size drones!!!!
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:52 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
United States, WY, Crowheart
Joined Aug 2011
3,662 Posts
Quote:
Oh no! Now we have to put up with you 24/7? LOL JK
Good job! Must be nice to be "young" AND retired?
Happy Flying!
BattleDude is offline Find More Posts by BattleDude
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:56 PM
Rockin' & Flyin'
Virginia Beach
Joined Dec 2009
2,858 Posts
Yep, 24/7. Live with it Well, military retirement isn't a full retirement, but I shouldn't have to do any more yearlong tours to SE Asia.
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:57 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,662 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by midnite View Post
I've recently bought the Phoenix simulator but have for several years been using RealFlight.

My experience with Phoenix is good for fixed wing aircraft but poor for helis but I only spent a short time with the heli simulation. Based on that RealFlight is much more suitable for helis
The variations in flying venues is fun and interesting though. Graphics are mostly good except for their renditions of water and water landings.

I bought Phoenix because it has the models I've built - the S.E.5a, Super Cub, T-28, and a few others in addition to some that I may want in the future. It mimics the actual flying behaviour fairly well. Helicopters is another matter. I have the 120, an mCP-x, Blade 400 3D, an Align 450 and a few more. RealFlight does a much better job of mimicking actual behaviour of helis from what I've experienced so far.
I do like it for playing with the planes I have when weather doesn't permit outside flying. It also lets me do things that would be risky with the real thing without fear of expensive repairs and downtime.
I have Phoenix and I thought it was fairly close as far as how my B450 handled anyway. But I didn't have any other sims to compare with.

What I hate about RealFlight is having to pay for updates, that rubbed me the wrong way real fast. Updates should be free. I am asumming they still charge for updates?
Old Dec 04, 2012, 01:58 PM
Easy on the Sticks!
Joined Aug 2011
3,662 Posts
Quote:
Yep, 24/7. Live with it Well, military retirement isn't a full retirement, but I shouldn't have to do any more yearlong tours to SE Asia.
OK, I guess I will have to, I will start preparing myself now!