Old Yesterday, 11:38 AM
Find More Posts by BWX_
Spring finally
United States, NY, Big Flats
Joined Nov 2013
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markran View Post

* When applying packing tape to protect the leading edge of the wing, how do you keep it from overlapping folds due to the curve at the tips of the wing?
You just make as bunch of relief cuts, about an inch apart, closer on the tight curves, farther apart on the more subtly curves.

I'll see if I can find some pics of how I did it on my 3 meter wings..

If you can zoom in on those pics you can see how I cut slits on the tape, and then folder the tab over, work from outside - and then the tabs will overlap to the outside, and won't tend to get pulled up.

You can stagger the cuts from top to bottom so the cuts aren't directly across from each other, which would weaken the tape more.
BWX_ is offline Find More Posts by BWX_
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by Markran
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Dumb Thumb View Post
Your slope location sounds great, can you share it? You could pm me?
It's an awesome spot. There's paved parking 50 feet from launch, amazing views of the whole valley (dozens of miles), even a convenient park bench. It's half a mile from a highway exit, less than a mile from a well-stocked hobby store and there's an In-N-Out Burger + Starbucks 3 blocks away. The slope edge follows a curve so depending where you fly, you can slope wind from a quarter of the compass. The slope angle is perfect. Even on days that seem calm, you can get enough lift to slope a UMX Radian. There are also thermals that can be picked up nearby as well as some friendly red tail hawks that like to come team fly. I'd be interested to hear what you think of the site. I don't have a lot of experience with different sites but I feel spoiled with this one five minutes from my house.

When I get home tonight I'll PM you Google Maps coordinates and a direct link to the National Weather Service page with hour by hour wind forecast for that grid cell.
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Last edited by Markran; Yesterday at 06:32 PM.
Old Yesterday, 08:42 PM
Find More Posts by Sandhill
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jun 2014
87 Posts
Quote:
Markran:
Maybe the Radian mod thread can help you. Watch the Paul Naton video at the start.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1646181
The decalage mod and clevis mod mentioned in the thread and video has changed since that video was made but he has good tips on taping wings
How has the decalage mod changed? I got a Radian direct from HH a few weeks ago, and Paul's observations seemed spot on...mine started out at just a tad under 3 degrees negative, which I corrected by removing 5 mm or so of foam. It certainly made a world of difference...
Sandhill is offline Find More Posts by Sandhill
Old Yesterday, 10:35 PM
Find More Posts by NB0W
Scott
United States, NE, Broken Bow
Joined Oct 2014
53 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NB0W View Post
I finished the rebuild today after the last parts order came in. Wings were not bad, but the fuse was way beyond repair. Spinner was crushed and broken into many pieces. I already had an extra fuse here so it was time to use it.

I pulled the stiffener out of the old fuse and sanded the old glue off of it. I pulled the strip of white tape off the bottom of the new fuse, and epoxied the old stiffener flat on the bottom of the new fuse. So now, the new fuse has two pieces of stiffener in a "T" shape. It's very solid now against flexing both directions. Black packing tape covered the flat stiffener and will make the bottom of the fuse stand out more.

I've heard good things about the "Golden Rods" so I got a couple of those and put those in. The old elevator was torn a bit and cold have been saved, but at $10 for a new one, I just went that route.

The power wires got pulled out of the ESC so a new ESC and a new receiver for good measure were added.

I'm curious to see how much difference (if any) the stiffer fuse and the golden rods will make, but even more, I'd like to know what happened to cause it to go into a death spiral, but I don't expect I'll ever know for sure.
I finally got to test out my rebuilt Radian tonight. WOW, what a difference! It NEVER flew this good before. I came back home feeling great about the test flight.

I almost put it in the ground on takeoff because as soon as I gave it a toss, I got on the down elevator just has I always had to do to keep it from trying to loop under power. I don't know if it's the extra stiffening, or if the new fuselage is just better aligned in the tail, but under power, it now actually tries to push down just a tiny bit on it's own. I can actually fly it straight and level under power now. I didn't realize how bad it really was before.

The tail waggle is gone! I assume it's a combination of both the extra stiffener and the golden rods, but I now can turn it ever so slightly and smoothly without the tail wiggling like a fish.

It was way too cool and late to find any lift this evening, but now I can't wait to get it out during a hot, calm day and see what it will do in a thermal.

Me ->
NB0W is offline Find More Posts by NB0W
Old Yesterday, 11:05 PM
Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Prop Buster
United States, CA, Grass Valley
Joined Dec 2009
830 Posts
Sandhill:
You are the first one that I have heard of that the horizontal stabilizer has that much angle in it lately. It seems that about 2 years ago (maybe a bit less) the plane seems to come with a much smaller angle built in, mine included that I bought in 12-2013. I only took out 2 or 3 mm of foam. If you search on here and the Radian mod thread you will see plenty of chatter on this and it seems the general consensuses is that it has changed. One of the guys at the flying field last Sunday has a newer Radian that he took out 5mm and now he has to put in a bunch of up trim to get it to glide level. He says that he took out too much foam and was going to fix it by putting some back. Maybe the mold wore out and they fixed it when they built a new one? Maybe that is not the case? I will go back and correct my post to "may have changed".
Gary
Sir Dumb Thumb is offline Find More Posts by Sir Dumb Thumb
Old Yesterday, 11:17 PM
Find More Posts by Markran
United States, CA, Sacramento
Joined Aug 2011
624 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BWX_ View Post
You just make as bunch of relief cuts, about an inch apart, closer on the tight curves, farther apart on the more subtly curves.
Thanks BWX. That was super useful and makes total sense.

Have you ever tried covering film like 'new stuff'? I have some but haven't tried it yet. I wonder if the same technique would work on bigger sheets.
Markran is offline Find More Posts by Markran
Old Today, 01:04 AM
Find More Posts by BWX_
Spring finally
United States, NY, Big Flats
Joined Nov 2013
1,958 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markran View Post
Thanks BWX. That was super useful and makes total sense.

Have you ever tried covering film like 'new stuff'? I have some but haven't tried it yet. I wonder if the same technique would work on bigger sheets.
Nope the only other stuff I have ever tried is monokote trim (sticker sheets), and they work well too.
BWX_ is offline Find More Posts by BWX_
Old Today, 12:26 PM
Find More Posts by Greywing
USA, CA, Pismo Beach
Joined Oct 2007
1,427 Posts
Quote:
Sandhill:
You are the first one that I have heard of that the horizontal stabilizer has that much angle in it lately. It seems that about 2 years ago (maybe a bit less) the plane seems to come with a much smaller angle built in, mine included that I bought in 12-2013. I only took out 2 or 3 mm of foam. If you search on here and the Radian mod thread you will see plenty of chatter on this and it seems the general consensuses is that it has changed. One of the guys at the flying field last Sunday has a newer Radian that he took out 5mm and now he has to put in a bunch of up trim to get it to glide level. He says that he took out too much foam and was going to fix it by putting some back. Maybe the mold wore out and they fixed it when they built a new one? Maybe that is not the case? I will go back and correct my post to "may have changed".
Gary
Of course, no one knows for sure if the mold has been changed but I would bet that it has not. My read on the apparent different decalage settings reported here can be totally attributed to the flexibility of the fuselage and sloppy factory installation of the FG stiffener in the aft end of the fuselage . For that reason, I strongly recommend replacement of the FG member with a good carbon tube carefully installed while at the same time checking elevator alignment before making any cuts for elevator re-alignment - irrespective of when the fuselage was manufactured. This eliminates any possibility of heat warping making new adjustments to your carefully set decalage. Other valid methods of improving the fuselage stiffness presented in this thread may achieve similar results.
Greywing is offline Find More Posts by Greywing
Old Today, 06:31 PM
Find More Posts by Sandhill
United States, CO, Fort Collins
Joined Jun 2014
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greywing View Post
Of course, no one knows for sure if the mold has been changed but I would bet that it has not. My read on the apparent different decalage settings reported here can be totally attributed to the flexibility of the fuselage and sloppy factory installation of the FG stiffener in the aft end of the fuselage . For that reason, I strongly recommend replacement of the FG member with a good carbon tube carefully installed while at the same time checking elevator alignment before making any cuts for elevator re-alignment - irrespective of when the fuselage was manufactured. This eliminates any possibility of heat warping making new adjustments to your carefully set decalage. Other valid methods of improving the fuselage stiffness presented in this thread may achieve similar results.
Excellent observations on both the causes of the potential problem and proper sequence in dealing with it. Strengthening and straightening the Radian fuselage is, I expect, ALWAYS a good idea. I have done neither yet and I know for sure that I will, so I've certainly taken things out of order. Until you've done straight and strong you don't know what you're correcting.
I don't doubt that there's variation from plane to plane, and that measuring beats assuming. However, the decalage is so easy to play with that even without incidence meter(s) it's still worth doing...
Have fun,
Steve
Sandhill is offline Find More Posts by Sandhill
Old Today, 07:29 PM
Find More Posts by Jim McCormick
United States, WA, Bainbridge Island
Joined Sep 2014
25 Posts
I just finished covering my Radian wings with laminating film and I like how it stiffens them up and smooths out the bumps. Easy to do just work slowly and carefully. Don't worry if you mess it up: it comes off easily.
Jim McCormick is offline Find More Posts by Jim McCormick
Old Today, 08:07 PM
Find More Posts by Raften
NorCal
Joined Dec 2009
1,734 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim McCormick View Post
I just finished covering my Radian wings with laminating film and I like how it stiffens them up and smooths out the bumps. Easy to do just work slowly and carefully. Don't worry if you mess it up: it comes off easily.
Did you weigh the wing before covering it?
Raften is offline Find More Posts by Raften