Old Yesterday, 11:59 AM
Kue
Find More Posts by Kue
Kue
Joined May 2015
4 Posts
Discussion
Battery Theory

HI Everyone! Brand new member. Long story short, promising "new" tech in Lithium - lithium titanate. 10C charge rate. 30C Discharge. I think 10 times the life cycle. Crazy stuff. But the downside is that it only puts out 2.4 volts.

http://www.batteryspace.com/LTO-1865...-2.64Wh-2.aspx

So I am wondering could I just buy 2 of these, wire them in parallel and then use some resistors or something to drop the Voltage to 3.7V? Any ideas?
Kue is offline Find More Posts by Kue
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 12:58 PM
Find More Posts by Ferdinando
Joined Apr 2015
21 Posts
Maybe you mean connected in series.... to have 4.8 V
anyway, you should not use a resistor to drop voltage
Electronic circuit is needed (at least a buck dc/dc)
Ferdinando is offline Find More Posts by Ferdinando
Old Yesterday, 01:38 PM
Find More Posts by SilverSport
25th year Newbie
United States, LA, New Orleans
Joined Dec 2014
230 Posts
Looks like a capacitor to me .... but it is most certainly not cheaper than LiPo At $11.95 for a 1 cell 1100mAh 2.4V cell, I know a 2S Lipo of similar mAh can be had for that price and deliver 3 times the voltage. I have just recently purchased 3S 11.1V 500mAh 30C lipo batteries with 5C charge capability for a dollar less than the cell you have linked.

I guess if this tech ever catches on the prices will come inline and people might be able to afford the benefit of these cells .... if there is one!
SilverSport is offline Find More Posts by SilverSport
Old Yesterday, 03:26 PM
Kue
Find More Posts by Kue
Kue
Joined May 2015
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Looks like a capacitor to me .... but it is most certainly not cheaper than LiPo At $11.95 for a 1 cell 1100mAh 2.4V cell, I know a 2S Lipo of similar mAh can be had for that price and deliver 3 times the voltage. I have just recently purchased 3S 11.1V 500mAh 30C lipo batteries with 5C charge capability for a dollar less than the cell you have linked.

I guess if this tech ever catches on the prices will come inline and people might be able to afford the benefit of these cells .... if there is one!
Hmmmmm. I'm new to tis hobby so maybe I don't get the voltage thing. I have a syma x5C. Its current battery is a 1s (3.7V). can I just use that 3S 11V battery instead? won't that fry the quadcopter?
Old Yesterday, 04:40 PM
25th year Newbie
Joined Dec 2014
230 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kue View Post
Hmmmmm. I'm new to tis hobby so maybe I don't get the voltage thing. I have a syma x5C. Its current battery is a 1s (3.7V). can I just use that 3S 11V battery instead? won't that fry the quadcopter?
If you did .... I would video that last smoking and flaming flight of the quadcopter.

Your quad is probably a lot like mine .... a Blade Nano QX. It takes a 1S 150mAh battery, which at $4-6 is way more that what I pay for that 3S for my helicopter.
I don't think your quad with two of those other packs would be able to fly, even if you could get the voltage right, the extra weight would be a problem. But then your quad uses a 600mAh lipo, so it could be up to it. But whatever you do, don't add 3 times the voltage to that copter, unless you want to create one of "THOSE" youtube videos.
Old Yesterday, 04:57 PM
Find More Posts by Mark Wood
characters welcome!
United States, CA, Bear Valley Springs
Joined Feb 2000
27,072 Posts
Bottom line: NO.

Think of it this way...
Electricity is very much like water. It flows, etc. Voltage is electrical pressure. If you triple the water pressure at your house, what do you think is going to happen?

mw
Mark Wood is online now Find More Posts by Mark Wood
Old Yesterday, 10:20 PM
Kue
Find More Posts by Kue
Kue
Joined May 2015
4 Posts
Thank y'all for helping me understand this better. So if I have 4.8v I need to use some kind of circuit to drop the voltage to 3.7. Unfortunately all the stuff I looked up on buck converters seems to add enough weight to negate the advantages. Anything simpler to drop voltage?
Old Yesterday, 11:51 PM
25th year Newbie
Joined Dec 2014
230 Posts
Well .... you may be looking at the wrong voltage to begin with if you are needing to drop it. A single cell lipo has a nominal voltage of 3.7 volts, fully charged it is 4.2 volts, so the device you are powering will certainly be able to handle 4.2V. Now you will have to get the fully charged voltage of this miracle battery and figure from there how much it needs to be dropped, the 2.4 volts may be nominal, but could also be fully charged.

You have probably come to the correct conclusion, you will be at a weight disadvantage once you did everything.
Old Today, 06:34 AM
Kue
Find More Posts by Kue
Kue
Joined May 2015
4 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverSport View Post
Well .... you may be looking at the wrong voltage to begin with if you are needing to drop it. A single cell lipo has a nominal voltage of 3.7 volts, fully charged it is 4.2 volts, so the device you are powering will certainly be able to handle 4.2V. Now you will have to get the fully charged voltage of this miracle battery and figure from there how much it needs to be dropped, the 2.4 volts may be nominal, but could also be fully charged.

You have probably come to the correct conclusion, you will be at a weight disadvantage once you did everything.
4.2volts, u say....hmmmm. So, what if I just undercharge battery? Just make sure it never charges past 4.2v. That might work, right?
Old Today, 09:58 AM
25th year Newbie
Joined Dec 2014
230 Posts
Probably not. basically for the lipos, most of your useful power is between 3.6 and 4.2 volts, as in most watts delivered. After 3.6 you might have about 20-25% of your power left, but that is still about half the voltage .... between 3.0 and 4.2. I am sure this other battery technology will be quite the same, it is the same for lead batteries as well as NiCad and NiMh
Old Today, 05:06 PM
Find More Posts by kamcoman
Douglasville, GA
Joined Sep 2004
28 Posts
You might want to check out the Class 9 handling charges that must be added to your purchase. The cost of this battery may not be worth your time until it is a proven product and you can order without special procedures.

Keith
kamcoman is offline Find More Posts by kamcoman