New Products Flash Sale
Old May 09, 2015, 08:36 AM
Find More Posts by Pi squared
For the sake of Flight
United States, MT, Helena
Joined Nov 2013
301 Posts
We will be going flying this morning over at Wayne's, the billings contest has been rescheduled for next weekend.
Pi squared is offline Find More Posts by Pi squared
to remove ads between posts
Old May 09, 2015, 06:18 PM
Find More Posts by James P. Loughra
James P. Loughran
Joined Oct 2012
31 Posts
I flew the Kappa today, for the second time. Only one flight ..for an hour!

I have no idea where all the skeptical BS came from about it being so fragile. It's definitely not designed to crash or dork (I consider those words to be roughly equivalent) nor should it be, but in flight it is tough enough. Loops and rolls indicated no stress on the wing and, with 90 degree flaps, a vertical descent did not exceed the VNE. Jon was flying the Supra and the Xplorer at different times during my flight and I could meet or exceed either one's climb rate. The Kappa has better legs than the Supra (light F5J version) and the Xplorer is faster but it's glide slope is no flatter.

The grass was about 6" tall with alfalfa clumps here and there and no problems were encountered. I slid it in and missed the clumps; no damage anywhere. My landing was at a crawl and well controlled. There should be no problem in the landing circle.
I landed only because I wanted to test fly the Winter Wing.
That ship can go waaaay fast when you need it and, like the Kappa, it flew for one flight;.... about 45 minutes. I wrung it out pretty well (loops, rolls & inverted thermaling) with no problems. I don't think it will perform as well in early morning dead air as the Kappa will, but it will do well if lift is around and it should handle 20mph wind just fine.

The day was beautiful. George, Dean, Jon and I had a ball! All of the Silver Sneeker Set came down intentionally because of knees, ankles, feet, back and neck pain. Jon shot landings until about noon and we watched.

Jim
James P. Loughra is offline Find More Posts by James P. Loughra
Old May 10, 2015, 10:36 AM
Find More Posts by Speed37
Gone Flyin'
United States, MT, East Helena
Joined Nov 2010
422 Posts
That sounds like a nice plane Jim. I'm interested in how she's equipped and what your final weight is. Good to hear it wont come down...well only when you want it to that is!

What's a winter wing? Tried to look it up with no luck.

I believe the fragile claims come from the folks who just had a slight mishap with their "F5J" version of any sailplane. The things that have or will happen at a contest, like running into your leg for example. Each one of those folks said something similar to "damn that didn't hold up like my...so and so did."

I would like to encourage those in our club to use this e-mail address to announce flying sessions: HFT@TailwindGliders.com

Peace out
Speed37 is offline Find More Posts by Speed37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Xplorer F5J
Old May 11, 2015, 11:19 PM
For the sake of Flight
Joined Nov 2013
301 Posts
A winter wing is Jims newest home built hollow molded ship, it is in the picture curtis posted. It was referred to as a supra with a different planform, it is not a supra. Also search for the Kappa 35 forum Jim has been putting everything there. Hope all is well with everyone.

Best regards,

Jon
Last edited by Pi squared; May 11, 2015 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Grammar
Old May 12, 2015, 06:27 AM
Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
Red Merle ALES
United States, Mt, Helena
Joined Apr 2002
6,141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pi squared View Post
It was referred to as a supra with a different planform, it is not a supra.

Best regards,

Jon
What are the airfoils used, assuming they aren't proprietary? I hear a Carbon goodness one is coming out of the shop soon. That is very intriguing. How will torsional stiffness be obtained?

Awesome stuff comes out of that house!

Curtis
Curtis Suter is online now Find More Posts by Curtis Suter
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2015, 07:13 AM
For the sake of Flight
Joined Nov 2013
301 Posts
The airfoils are the Ag40->ag43 the same as the ones Drela used on the supra, I feel that Jim wouldbe able to better explain the new layup, as I still don't understand some of the aspects of it. Might want to give Jim a call if your curious.
Last edited by Pi squared; May 12, 2015 at 09:14 AM.
Old May 12, 2015, 07:21 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
6,141 Posts
Quote:
The airfoils are the Ag40->ag43 , I feel that Jim wouldbe able to better explain the new layup, as I still don't understand some of the aspects of it.
Okay, so Supra airfoils.
Do you know if the carbon skin is a fabric or unidirectional? Does it go on the bias? Guessing but it's a cloth that goes on the bias, that would make sense.

Thanks
Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old May 12, 2015, 09:13 AM
For the sake of Flight
Joined Nov 2013
301 Posts
I think it is a cloth on a bias, but like I said you might want to contact Jim if you more in depth info.

Jon
Old May 12, 2015, 09:56 AM
Find More Posts by Speed37
Gone Flyin'
United States, MT, East Helena
Joined Nov 2010
422 Posts
Quote:
A winter wing is Jims newest home built hollow molded ship, it is in the picture curtis posted. It was referred to as a supra with a different planform, it is not a supra. Also search for the Kappa 35 forum Jim has been putting everything there. Hope all is well with everyone.

Best regards,

Jon
Oh I see! I hadn't heard the name for his new one yet.

I took a look at that thread. Here it is for anyone else interested: Jims Kappa info

Dang, I'm sorry to hear of the crash
Speed37 is offline Find More Posts by Speed37
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Xplorer F5J
Old May 12, 2015, 10:27 AM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
6,141 Posts
Quote:
I think it is a cloth on a bias, but like I said you might want to contact Jim if you more in depth info.

Jon
I did, it is and makes sense. Fingers crossed for the results.
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2015, 07:45 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
6,141 Posts
I was down at Jim's this morning and there was a very nice looking Orange wing there. However, the woodie wing next too it is real sexy!
Nice work Pi.

Curtis
RCG Plus Member
Old May 14, 2015, 11:46 PM
For the sake of Flight
Joined Nov 2013
301 Posts
Thanks
Old May 18, 2015, 01:40 PM
Red Merle ALES
Joined Apr 2002
6,141 Posts
As you folks know I have been wanting to try F5J Lite as I think it is really an interesting contest format. We will try it for those folks interested and use it as an LSF contest but not during our monthly ALES League contests.

The club where JT flies tried this and there were some interesting results, pretty much as I expected may happen. You can read about it here: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...2#post31653636

In all fairness I can also tell you that JT was not in the best of mind/moods and understandably so.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Curtis Suter; May 18, 2015 at 02:03 PM.