Oct 28, 2010, 10:08 AM
Thread OP

Looking for a Good Charger for 6S 5000mah

I have this charger right now Hyperion EOS 0606I 6S 6A AC/DC Balancing Charger, but it won't balance and finish charging my 6S 5000mah lipo batteries. It would bring all the cells up to 4.16 each but will not complete the charge even if I leave it for 4 hours at 1C.

So I'm looking for a good charger and power supply combination.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 28, 2010, 10:18 AM
Fly Extreme!!
I'm very happy with my CellPro PowerLab 8. It's hands down the best charger i've ever used. I've been charging 6S 5000's two at a time and it works great.
Oct 28, 2010, 10:48 AM
Can that charger even get to 1C? Based on googling about a bit, it looks like it's only a 50 watt charger which would be less than half a C on a battery that size. If you want to charge big batteries quickly, look for something with some watts. I would recommend 200-300 watts each if you want to buy multiple chargers or 1000 watts or more if you want to charge several in parallel on the same charger. FMA, and iCharger have some. Hyperion has some bigger chargers too.
Oct 28, 2010, 10:53 AM
Real Time Recon
This is what i use for my 6 cell 5,000s>>> http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDIQ8wIwBA#
And it works like a charm
And a "Blinky" for balancing>>> http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...MRZ9&P=FR#tech
Last edited by realtimerecon; Oct 28, 2010 at 11:10 AM.
Oct 28, 2010, 11:53 AM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtimerecon
This is what i use for my 6 cell 5,000s>>> http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CDIQ8wIwBA#
And a "Blinky" for balancing>>> http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...MRZ9&P=FR#tech
Really? No offense but that is a terrible recommendation. Not only does it lack an integrated balancer but it is more expensive than many modern, more powerful chargers.

norstaroption: To charge a 6s 5000mAh pack at 1C you need at least 126W of charger output. I would look at something in the 250-300W range. That would give you the ability to charge at 2C if you wanted.
Oct 28, 2010, 12:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinguy
Really? No offense but that is a terrible recommendation. Not only does it lack an integrated balancer but it is more expensive than many modern, more powerful chargers.
It's really not that bad. It's probably one of the easiest chargers to operate and it outputs enough watts to charge everything in one hour or less. It's one of the only chargers that has the ability to bring a battery with a low cell back to life and it gives a consistant full charge every time.

Now the blinky is a little slow at balancing but as long as you don't run your batteries really low, getting cells balanced within a 1C charge time should not be an issue.
Oct 28, 2010, 12:33 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
www.progressiverc.com

I use the iCharger 206b with the P350 power supply and it is a fantistic combo. I charge 2x6s 5000 in parrallel in about 35-45 minutes.

I also use a para board from ep buddy and it takes the guess work out of parrallel charging.

http://epbuddy.com/index.php?main_pa...35i59uvom3pgi5

Ben
Last edited by Ben-Rod; Oct 28, 2010 at 12:38 PM.
Oct 28, 2010, 12:35 PM
Real Time Recon
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjinguy

norstaroption: To charge a 6s 5000mAh pack at 1C you need at least 126W of charger output. I would look at something in the 250-300W range. That would give you the ability to charge at 2C if you wanted.
I think you better read the specs.THEN comment.
>>>>>>>>>>>>>> http://www.astroflight.com/index.php...products_id=23
Oct 28, 2010, 12:37 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Quote:
I think you better read the specs.THEN comment.
I have read the specs. There is no specification of maximum wattage but the manual states the charger is designed to work a 12-15V 150W power supply. Yeah that leads me to believe it is a 120W charger, give or take. Am I wrong?
Oct 28, 2010, 01:10 PM
Real Time Recon
^^It's fast(45-50 minutes) for a 6 cell 5000.
It's Easy.And best of all...
It's "stupid proof"
Power source = car battery.
Oct 28, 2010, 01:16 PM
Wattage aside, risk of fire due to user error, pack damage, incorrect cell detect, are DRAMATICALLY reduced by the use of a balancing charger (which the 109d is not). This is fact and not a subject of debate. As such, use of a balancing charger (or inline balancer with charge interrupt capability) is wise and prudent.

Mark
Oct 28, 2010, 01:24 PM
Quote:
It's "stupid proof"
Power source - Wall outlet,Or car battery.
That's about 1C - that was "standard" a few years ago but it doesn't count as "fast" these days. Some newer batteries are rated for up to 10C charging these days.

As for stupid proof, I was just looking through the PDF for this charger:

Quote:
With battery packs of 4 cells or more, it is possible to get a low cell count detection even if each cell is above 3.2 volts. For example, a four cell pack with four cells at 3.2 volts will have a pack voltage of 12.8 volts. The 109 charger will think that this is a 3 cell pack. The 109 detects the fourth cell at 12.9 volts. To charge this pack, simply charge it normally as if it were a 3 cell pack.
During the first three minutes of Mode 1, the pack voltage will rise above 12.9 volts. As soon as the charger enters model 2 it will think that the battery is over charged and will stop charging beep nine times and Display “Bt Vlt Hi”. Remove the battery and disconnect the 12 volt power. Reconnect 12 volt power and when you see “Waiting for Battery” reconnect your battery. The charger will display 4 cell detected and you can charge your pack normally. On a 5 cell pack a fully discharged pack may read as low as 16 volts. The 109 detects 5 cells at 17.2 volts. So you have to put in enough charge to reach 17.2 volts before 5 cells are detected. Again charge your battery as though it were a 5 cell pack. At the end of Mode 1 the voltage may not have reached 17.2 volts so the charger will continue to charge the pack until it reaches 16.8 volts. That is the voltage of a fully charged 4 cell pack. When the charger stops and says done, remove and replace the pack on the charger and charge a second time. This time the voltage should reach 17.2 volts within the first three minutes and the charger will stop and Display “Bt Vlt Hi”. Now you can charge normally because you pack is above 17.2 volts and the 109 charger will detect 5 cells.
This over lap in voltage becomes higher and higher for packs with more cells. You may have to repeat the charge sequence one more time before proper cell count is detected. If it is practical for you to do so, do not discharge your packs so far in the future.
That does not strike me as "stupid proof" compared to modern balancing chargers can can see how many cells are connected without voltage-based guessing.
Oct 28, 2010, 02:11 PM
HOW HIGH DOES IT GO???
I wittnessed my only lipo fire when one of our club members was charging a lipo in his plane with that Astro and didn't set the cell count correctly. Burned his entire plane and a tx that was sitting next to it.

"Stupid proof", I think not...

Ben
Oct 28, 2010, 02:19 PM
Quote:
Will the Astro let me download graphs to my Commodore 64?

If so, I can plot the charge graphs for my Ni-Cads before I put them in my AM transmitter...

To the OP, buy the biggest iCharger you can afford with a suitable PS, both from progressiverc.com. This is by far the best solution if you want to upgrade from your Hyperion. Give David at progressive a call and he will put a nice package together for you. I had a 106B+ and it served me well doing 10 amp charges (2c in your case)(iCharger 206B will give you 4c capabilities) all day long. If you want a true powerhouse and a charger that gives you access to gobs of data about what happens behind the scenes, buy a CellPro PL8 and you probably won't look back for 10 years.
Oct 28, 2010, 02:35 PM
TJin(Guy + Tech)
Quote:
It's "stupid proof"
Power source = car battery.
Stupid proof is an FMA CellPro 4S. The 109 needs setup properly or you can burn your house down with it. That makes it far from stupid proof, it makes it a liability in a world full of modern chargers. Oh and 1C charging is not "fast", it is barely acceptable.

Quick Reply