SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:16 PM
Joined Mar 2005
52 Posts
Discussion
How to set up 3 channel plane

Ok this is going to sound dumb but I have done allot of reading but can't find the answer so here goes the question. I learned to fly on a 4 channel plane with the controls set up, left sick is for motor speed and rudder, right stick is for alerons and elevator. I'm going to build my grandson a 3 channel plane and want to know how you would set up the sticks?

Thanks
cwdance1 is offline Find More Posts by cwdance1
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:28 PM
United States, NJ, Monroe Township
Joined Aug 2006
7,093 Posts
Keep them the same. That's how I fly my three channel planes.

Bill
BD Flyer is offline Find More Posts by BD Flyer
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:53 PM
Gilbert, AZ
Gilbert, AZ
Joined May 2007
3,564 Posts
hmmmm..... assuming the 3 channels will be throttle, elevator, & rudder, I'd set the rudder up on the right stick. It's very difficult for a newbie (including me!) to control throttle & rudder on one stick!!!

As he advances, he'll be turning with ailerons on the right stick and probably won't use rudder in flight for a long time!!!

Of course there are three channel planes that are throttle, aileron, then elevator. In that case I'd keep it setup as normal..

My e-starter has enough dihedral to turn with rudder only but I find it difficult to do and keep the throttle steady!!!

Just my $0.02

Chad
chalmrast is offline Find More Posts by chalmrast
Old Aug 07, 2007, 10:55 PM
Wind blows
Minneapolis
Joined Jan 2007
2,896 Posts
Convention is that your primary turning flight surface is on the right stick, coupled with the elevator. It's a whole lot easier that way too. All your attitude control is on one stick.
Laggard is offline Find More Posts by Laggard
Old Aug 07, 2007, 11:02 PM
Test Pilot, Stand Clear
USA, OH, Mt Vernon
Joined Mar 2007
1,372 Posts
Plug the rudder servo into the aileron plug on the receiver. With a 3 channel, steering and elevator are on the right stick with the throttle on the left. Much easier to control.
eatmydirt is offline Find More Posts by eatmydirt
Old Aug 08, 2007, 02:32 PM
Joined Mar 2005
52 Posts
Thanks everyone for you input on this. I guessed that you would keep the turning control on the left stick.

Thanks
Terry
cwdance1 is offline Find More Posts by cwdance1
Old Aug 08, 2007, 02:59 PM
Average User
Bakersfield, California
Joined Aug 2003
1,726 Posts
I'll just restate what other posters have said. The primary turning control should be on the right stick. On a 3 channel setup that may be rudder or aileron, but which ever it is, put it on the right.

Mike
M Ashmore is offline Find More Posts by M Ashmore
Old Jan 14, 2010, 08:53 AM
Joined Jan 2010
13 Posts
Thanks to all you RC pros! I am new to this and am so glad that whenever I have a question of my own, it is usually posted here with all the advice and suggestions along with it!! So nice to have all of your experiences and knowlege.
Chanzig is offline Find More Posts by Chanzig
Old Aug 10, 2014, 11:33 AM
Joined May 2008
33 Posts
THANK YOU FOR THIS. I never thought of it and set up my 3 channel plane like you would a 4 channel. NUMEROUS crashes latter I actually started to learn it set up with the rudder on the left stick(typical 4 channel In the US). While using a simulator I noticed the rudder was set up on the right stick. I got on the webs and searched and this thread popped up. I set up the rudder on the right stick and went out this morning and I was able to fly with no crashes .I did a couple figure 8's , loops , slow fly by's , and even landed about 4 times nicely. No damage to the plane First time I brought the plane back home in one piece and no repairs.....
BigTruckDriver is offline Find More Posts by BigTruckDriver
Last edited by BigTruckDriver; Aug 10, 2014 at 11:45 AM.
Old Aug 10, 2014, 12:28 PM
United States, OR, The Dalles
Joined Apr 2011
1,287 Posts
In addition to setting rudder on the right stick by putting the rudder on the aileron channel, I like to put in 100% rudder-aileron mix.

I fly 4 channel almost exclusively and use the rudder a lot, so out of muscle memory I sometimes try to add rudder with the left stick while I've already got turning input in on the right stick...
JeffinTD is offline Find More Posts by JeffinTD