HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 18, 2001, 05:28 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
I just got the Champion of ARF's!

I just recieved the Champion ARF from hobby lobby. It is a built up model with a fiberglass fuse. The quality of the kit is excellent! It is a full house slowflyer that should be very areobatic due to the fully semitrical wing. If your looking for a real looking airplane I highly suggest the Champion.

-Jim
Jim McPherson is offline Find More Posts by Jim McPherson
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 18, 2001, 05:45 PM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi PLEASE fly it stock first and share the results here.I'd like to know how the litespan holds up and what we can expect from the supplied motor.You could add tape to the motor to compensate for the wallering you did to the GB for the 010.And you would'nt be over[powered] on the first flight which WILL get hairy w/ the Astro.I've been looking at one and would enjoy and use another flier's perspective. Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Jun 18, 2001, 09:30 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Bleriot:
Hi PLEASE fly it stock first and share the results here.
Ok, I'll see if I can put the mig 280 back in. I don't have the Jeti ESC in yet anyway and am eager to fly it. My setup will be 2 GWS PICO BB servos and one Naro STD servo, GWS Pico RX, GWS 2 amp ESC, and 8 cell Wattage 650 mAh nimh pack. I'll also run 7 and 8 cell sanyo 270 mAh nicads just for comparison...
On a side note will the GWS esc handle the mig 280? I'd hate to have to take the sirius or pixie off of my other planes.

-jim
Old Jun 19, 2001, 04:04 AM
Joined May 2000
2,837 Posts
Hi Thanks for reconsidering. The 280 at 3:1 will pull close to 3+A, so you'll have to use the Pixie! Best Regards
Bleriot is offline Find More Posts by Bleriot
Old Jun 20, 2001, 09:38 AM
WAR
Austin, TX, USA
Joined Apr 2001
70 Posts
Let us know it's slow flight characteristics, especially when landing. I want to fly one in front of my house (maybe not at first, but after trimming and practice )!!!
WAR is offline Find More Posts by WAR
Old Jun 23, 2001, 07:55 PM
Orange Park, FL
Joined Dec 2000
443 Posts
Well any results? need to know how does it fly,what the status!
deeejay is offline Find More Posts by deeejay
Old Jun 23, 2001, 08:09 PM
Just an average RC'er
Laurel, Maryland USA
Joined Aug 2000
4,291 Posts
Well, kind of. I got it finished, very very nice looking. I set it on the runway and got ready to take off.... Up goes the trottle, great, takes off really well. I can tell it's very nimble. I make a left turn off the runway and SMACK! flies right into a 6 foot tall tree. When I go to pick it up, I see that the wing is smashed in, and since this is an ARF I don't have any plans so that I can fix the wing. Well, I liked it so much that I ordered another kit, but Hobby-Lobby is sold out at the moment. When my new kit comes I'll let you know.

-Jim
Old Jun 23, 2001, 08:40 PM
3 years crash free!
Hudson, WI
Joined Jun 2001
58 Posts
Haven't heard anything on this plane until now, just subscribed a few days ago. I received my Champion a week ago, first flights last night. Kit quality was fantastic, much better than some of flying styro kits of the same price. I'm using a Jeti 05 ESC, the included MIG280 & 3/1 drive, with an APC 9x6, Hitec Feather FM + 3 HS-55's.

Did a number of take-off & landings at a paved parking lot, almost no wind, temp was mid 60's, low humidity, high pressure, no bugs, perfect flying conditions.

I planned to make a run at half throttle and back off but it tracked so smoothly I just let it gain speed, pulling gently while advancing the throttle to 3/4. It lifted off at about 50'. Climb rate was good, estimated at 30 on full charge. I had the CG about 1/4" forward of recommended (2" behind LE), and needed two clicks of up & one click of aileron to maintain level flight. Smooth as an arrow!

Full throttle take-offs required a blip of rudder then release, and slight back pressure right after the tail lifted. Shortest take-off was about 20'.

I think I've got a bit too much battery with an 8 cell 500 mAh NiMH, and just built up a 360 mAh, 8 cell NiMH, though I'm short on connectors. It slows down nice, though you can't flare forever, and I stalled it in from a foot up the first few times. No damage except scraping the prop tips. It can do brief knife edges, inverted with no problems, and loops with ease from level entry. Snap rolls looked more like a tight barrel roll, so I will try moving the CG aft a bit with the smaller battery. Control responses are nimble with the recommended throws. I dialed down to about 60% ATV on the ailerons, but didn't change anything else. Next flights I'll try full throw for a faster roll rate.

I have some notes and pics here: http://skaus.homestead.com/rcchamp.html
Karl is offline Find More Posts by Karl
Old Jun 23, 2001, 09:01 PM
Radix malorum est cupiditas
Joined Jul 2000
460 Posts
Karl, - Great review !! THX
radix2 is offline Find More Posts by radix2
Old Jun 23, 2001, 09:02 PM
Palo Alto, CA, USA
Joined Nov 2000
1,019 Posts
Jim, Sorry to hear about your accident. Are you saying it is not repairable. I just picked up one of these today. Let me know if you find a suitable gearbox for the AF 010.

Karl, Welcome to E-Zone. Nice site.

Thanks all.
kasra is offline Find More Posts by kasra
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 23, 2001, 09:12 PM
3 years crash free!
Hudson, WI
Joined Jun 2001
58 Posts
Thanks for the welcome, guys. I'll be updating the site with some first flight notes, and hopefully some airborne pictures, if I can talk my wife into coming out again

Jim: too bad about your crash. It is a very light structure. Maybe HL will start to stock individual replacement parts if sales are strong.

Karl
Old Jun 24, 2001, 01:20 AM
Joined Jun 2001
10 Posts
Today I flew my Champion many times. Good flier. Takes off and lands easy. Rols very fast, does consecutive inside or outside loops from level flight and is fully aerobatic. I use Simprop 280bb, APC 9x6 prop and the stock 3:1 gear box. The motor overheats (to much prop) so I fly it at 1/3 stick. It almost goes verticat at full stick. When cruising around with few landings it flies 6 min with 650 mah. 8 cell 105g pack. Total weight 13 oz, without batery 9.6 oz. I also tried it with APC 8x3.8 and flies well, the motor is not really hot, again about 6 minutes per flight. The wing is very easy to damage, but overal the plane stands well to rough landings. So far, I like it. It is my second plane after Zagi so I can't really compare.
It is as much (or in some respect more) fun as Zagi but it can be crashed only once.
like3d is offline Find More Posts by like3d
Old Jun 24, 2001, 10:40 AM
3 years crash free!
Hudson, WI
Joined Jun 2001
58 Posts
like3d: sounds like your motor is much more powerful than the stock (non-bb) 280. I'm getting upwards of 15 minutes on 8x500 mAh, and it doesn't get noticeably warm until the end. Have you tried any cooling? What ESC are you using?
Old Jun 24, 2001, 11:07 AM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
Kasra-

I have a Astro 010 with the astro gearbox. It is a nice combo. This is the gearbox I would suggest. It only wieghs 1/3 of an ounce heavier that a plastic lightwieght 280 gearbox that I have. But unlike the plastic gearbox I forsee it not breaking after it's first flight.
Clayton is offline Find More Posts by Clayton
Old Jun 24, 2001, 11:14 AM
Jackson Hole, Wyoming
Joined Feb 2001
574 Posts
King Jamez would you be interested in selling your CarbonF landing gear from your first model. If so I would be higly interested. For a moderate price of course.

Clayton is offline Find More Posts by Clayton