SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 23, 2014, 05:21 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
1,921 Posts
Discussion
I love flying rc!!!

I'm sorry for wasting space about this.... but I was just thinking about how much enjoyment I get out of flying.

It seems a lot like the surf life to me.... when mother nature allows, guys gather at a good spot and bring out their gear to participate in something that brings a lot of fulfillment. They check out the wind, scope out the field, talk to each other about what they brought, what they lost, and what they're building. They laugh and discuss about how their use of learned abilities is going, they share the disappointment when someone's gear they worked hard to build and fly gets destroyed. They frequently help each other out when someone needs something. They barter/sell related items and building skills.

The temperature rarely impedes them. A light mist or fog isn't going to stop them. They help newbies and they scowl at dangerous cowboys. Their version of a good wave is the perfect steady wind that allows a fantastic landing.

Okay, okay.... kumbayah and all that.
failboat is offline Find More Posts by failboat
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 23, 2014, 05:24 PM
Charlotte, NC
Joined Jan 2004
5,646 Posts
Eyup... I agree 100%
Evan D is offline Find More Posts by Evan D
Old Aug 23, 2014, 05:33 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
1,921 Posts
Oh, yeah.... and their version of "watch this!!" is the rare version that doesn't really need alcohol and usually doesn't involve trips to the hospital (so long as noone is climbing trees LOL)... that's how powerful this is.
Old Aug 23, 2014, 06:48 PM
Y=C+I+G
United States, CA, Rosemead
Joined Jan 2012
7,499 Posts
i'm an addict so i can't say i love flying RC - i just know that i have to do it or my head will explode. so, i guess, +1.
cmdl is offline Find More Posts by cmdl
Old Aug 23, 2014, 06:54 PM
United States, TN, Nunnelly
Joined Aug 2012
594 Posts
I don't like flying rc at all.
GLHS592 is offline Find More Posts by GLHS592
Old Aug 23, 2014, 08:04 PM
Chef Pilot: Planes vs Butter
United States, VA, Hamilton
Joined Jul 2012
2,803 Posts
You're speaking to the communal aspect of belonging to a club of like minded people.
I love flying at the club.
I never thought I would since I have a decent flying area right next to my house and the flying field it 20 minutes away.
Early on as a noob, my thinking of a flying club was that of superiority vs inferiority.
You're great at flying and I suck at it.
So I did most of my flying alone.
That was 2 years ago but now I fly more at the club than I do right next to my house.
Flying alone is alright but gregarious creatures that we are, it's great to be with others that spur us on to enjoy the hobby.
ChinoDiablo is offline Find More Posts by ChinoDiablo
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RCG Plus Membership
Old Aug 23, 2014, 08:13 PM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
1,921 Posts
You raise a good point; I did drift into the communal aspect when groups of fliers get together (I'm not part of a club)...... but there is a high level of enjoyment when I fly alone as well. I enjoy carving a long curve, going vertical, doing 4 loops in a row, etc.
Old Aug 28, 2014, 11:17 PM
United States, NJ, Dunellen
Joined Aug 2014
32 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat View Post
I'm sorry for wasting space about this.... but I was just thinking about how much enjoyment I get out of flying.

It seems a lot like the surf life to me.... when mother nature allows, guys gather at a good spot and bring out their gear to participate in something that brings a lot of fulfillment. They check out the wind, scope out the field, talk to each other about what they brought, what they lost, and what they're building. They laugh and discuss about how their use of learned abilities is going, they share the disappointment when someone's gear they worked hard to build and fly gets destroyed. They frequently help each other out when someone needs something. They barter/sell related items and building skills.

The temperature rarely impedes them. A light mist or fog isn't going to stop them. They help newbies and they scowl at dangerous cowboys. Their version of a good wave is the perfect steady wind that allows a fantastic landing.

Okay, okay.... kumbayah and all that.
Great post!
shonmac is offline Find More Posts by shonmac
Old Aug 29, 2014, 03:01 AM
United States, MI, Monroe
Joined Jun 2009
2,008 Posts
I'm an addict too! There, I've made my first step in recovery.
Tony K is offline Find More Posts by Tony K
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:28 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,499 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
recovery.
excuse me. that was funny. let us know how that works out for ya.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 10:58 AM
yank and bank!!
Joined May 2013
1,921 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony K View Post
I'm an addict too! There, I've made my first step in recovery.
I have to ask, why would anyone want to recover from this?!?!?
Old Aug 29, 2014, 11:09 AM
Y=C+I+G
Joined Jan 2012
7,499 Posts
one simple reason: save $. i'm sure there are other reasons but no point in entertaining them since i'd just be dreaming.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:44 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,096 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by failboat View Post
I have to ask, why would anyone want to recover from this?!?!?
Recover? Isn't that what you do when you want to change the looks of your model? Step 1 is "peel off the old covering."

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Aug 29, 2014, 12:53 PM
Registered Newbie
Joined Jul 2014
116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Recover? Isn't that what you do when you want to change the looks of your model? Step 1 is "peel off the old covering."

Andy
That's simply one of many definitions. For me "recovery" is what my wife says I'll be doing if I bring another plane into the house. And considering that would be number 7 in three months of the hobby, I have to admit she has a valid point.

I'm NOT addicted though. I can stop anytime I want.
BlukeSky is offline Find More Posts by BlukeSky
Last edited by BlukeSky; Aug 29, 2014 at 01:29 PM.
Old Aug 29, 2014, 01:23 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,096 Posts
Sounds to me like you need a new storage facility so you don't bring any more into the house.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor