HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 25, 2013, 09:05 PM
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
139 Posts
Discussion
Gear slop in TGY 306G servo

Correct me if I post on wrong forum.

Got the TGY S306G HV today. It's an OEM version of KST215MG I think. Tested the slop and I am not sure if it's normal for it. All three servos have almost same amount of slop.

What do you think, guys?

TGY S306G HV slop test (0 min 50 sec)
neosunrise is offline Find More Posts by neosunrise
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 30, 2013, 02:35 PM
want to fly the big one please
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Feb 2013
2,372 Posts
Just got a TGY-S306G from HK the other day, took 3 week to receive it. I only have this one and there is no slop but I have not used it yet, but this one I got is a bad servo, it moves very erratic and even twitches with no input. I am staying away from this servo, others say they are good, but after seeing your video and having my first one defective, I will not buy them again.
psychlic is online now Find More Posts by psychlic
Old Mar 30, 2013, 05:46 PM
United States, KY, Lexington
Joined Jul 2012
139 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlic View Post
Just got a TGY-S306G from HK the other day, took 3 week to receive it. I only have this one and there is no slop but I have not used it yet, but this one I got is a bad servo, it moves very erratic and even twitches with no input. I am staying away from this servo, others say they are good, but after seeing your video and having my first one defective, I will not buy them again.
I would say, stay away from HobbyKing.
neosunrise is offline Find More Posts by neosunrise
Old Mar 30, 2013, 07:34 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosunrise View Post
Thanks, yes, I am starting to realize that unfortunately.
Old May 08, 2014, 05:43 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,472 Posts
I wonder if it's just the luck of the draw. I have four on one of my 450's and they're fantastic: no slop at all. I have four more on the way now.
After reading this I have my fingers crossed waiting for the others to arrive.

The mainshaft is the weak link in this servo and it apparently breaks a little too easily in a crash. Other than that I haven't really read of any other complaints with them.

There's a thread on them over on Helifreak and everyone there raves about them.

In fact that's what convinced me to give them a try since my failure rate with cheaper servos was getting ridiculous.
Pa flyer is offline Find More Posts by Pa flyer
Old May 08, 2014, 05:58 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,472 Posts
neosunrise,

After posting above I went and checked mine again. When powered up there is zero slop in all of them. Without power, the gear movement is so easy and smooth that it could be mistaken for slop.

I couldn't tell from your video if your servos were connected to the rx at the top of the screen. If they weren't powered up in the video, try them again. Hopefully that's all that your problem is. Also put the screws in the arms and snug them up. I recall reading where someone said that he had a loose fit on the splines.
Old May 08, 2014, 09:29 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,152 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, yes, I am starting to realize that unfortunately.
Quote:
Originally Posted by neosunrise View Post
It's worth dealing with HK for some stuff like those RJX helicopter kits they're selling for 40% less than anywhere else.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; May 08, 2014 at 09:34 PM.
Old May 09, 2014, 01:41 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,372 Posts
(sigh) unfortunately u are right Atomic.
just can be a hassle with them if thing don't go just right, plus the out of stock thing.
I'll get wound up over an incident and stay away from HK for a while (thankfully I have found other good, cheap batts other than Turnigy) but then there comes the day, because of their large inventory, I give in for another go round, but I am trying to keep it limited with HK to must have items. have to check out the RJX copters, haven't seen em yet, thanks
Old May 09, 2014, 05:14 AM
Joined Aug 2012
1,472 Posts
Quote:
(sigh) unfortunately u are right Atomic.
just can be a hassle with them if thing don't go just right, plus the out of stock thing.
I'll get wound up over an incident and stay away from HK for a while (thankfully I have found other good, cheap batts other than Turnigy) but then there comes the day, because of their large inventory, I give in for another go round, but I am trying to keep it limited with HK to must have items. have to check out the RJX copters, haven't seen em yet, thanks
psychlic,

Do you have a link for those other batteries? HK's battery prices are great, but if you don't buy a bunch at one time their postage is a killer and really negates the cheap prices.
Old May 09, 2014, 10:42 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,372 Posts
Sure PF,
they are called LionPower and I get em off eBay,
i don't know what's going on but these batts are better than anything I can find regardless of price, even better than GensAce,
some sellers' have them here in US but I get them from overseas seller in under 2 weeks, no worse than HK Int. but usually faster,
heck if I order from HongKong seller I get em inside a week.
I suspect these are next generation BlackLipo (BYD), which are rock solid batts, but can't find anymore,
HobbyPartz has been out of stock with BlackLipo for a couple years but still list them
These LionPower batts are smaller, lighter, and more powerful than anything else I could find and the price is a joy!

look at the specs for this 3S 2800mAh, it's size and weight less than that of most 2200mah batts,
but this batt is rated 35-80C and it is all there,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111329507322...84.m1439.l2649

just make sure u redo the connectors, batt is great, connectors are not so great.
just search your size on eBay and they will come up
Last edited by psychlic; May 09, 2014 at 10:48 AM.
Old May 09, 2014, 10:57 AM
Joined Feb 2013
2,372 Posts
also,don't pay attention to the estimated shipping time/date on some of the sellers',
they go way over estimate so they do not past ship date
but most ship within 24HRS and it only takes a week or less from HongKong like I said
but there are some US sellers too

I have not tried any larger sizes than 3S btw, but all batts I have bought have been consistant, no bad ones, except for reports of connector/solder failure, but I always do my own connectors for insurance
Last edited by psychlic; May 09, 2014 at 11:10 AM.
Old May 09, 2014, 01:55 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1,472 Posts
Quote:
Sure PF,
they are called LionPower and I get em off eBay,
i don't know what's going on but these batts are better than anything I can find regardless of price, even better than GensAce,
some sellers' have them here in US but I get them from overseas seller in under 2 weeks, no worse than HK Int. but usually faster,
heck if I order from HongKong seller I get em inside a week.
I suspect these are next generation BlackLipo (BYD), which are rock solid batts, but can't find anymore,
HobbyPartz has been out of stock with BlackLipo for a couple years but still list them
These LionPower batts are smaller, lighter, and more powerful than anything else I could find and the price is a joy!

look at the specs for this 3S 2800mAh, it's size and weight less than that of most 2200mah batts,
but this batt is rated 35-80C and it is all there,

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111329507322...84.m1439.l2649

just make sure u redo the connectors, batt is great, connectors are not so great.
just search your size on eBay and they will come up
Thanks psychlic,

I do have one Lion Power 3S that I bought from BG last year before their big price increase on batteries.

Other than the leads being a little on the short side and having to resolder the connector, it's been a good battery with gobs of power and has held up well.

I've never tried the Gens Ace: they're supposed to be primo batteries but you pay for the name. I'm going to go with your recommendation and try some more Lion Powers.
Old Jul 24, 2014, 08:26 PM
Joined Feb 2013
2,372 Posts
the servos are good.
my first one was shorting out on metal case. but with the insulation mod it is fine now
many, many flites, and a quite a few crashes later I have yet to strip one (but I only run them on tail right now), and the small amount of slop that developed has not increased and does not seem to be an issue during flite. i would like to try them on cyclic.............but there's the HobbyKing thing.
I know that these are clones of other servos................does anyone have a good price link to these in the other brands like RJX, etc?
Last edited by psychlic; Jul 24, 2014 at 08:33 PM.