Old Feb 25, 2013, 06:04 PM
Standing Athwart History
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Mar 2011
610 Posts
Discussion
Fixed Trike Landing Gear Location

Howdy:

Best location or rule of thumb for trike gear?

I have never done (successful) landing gear on a scratch build, trike or otherwise. I was wondering where is the best location, fore & aft. Perhaps nose gear far forward out to where I think the nose/fuse could handle the shock of a bad landing? The mains perhaps 1/2 the distance behind the CG that the nose gear is in front of the CG?

Salient Factors
0. Delta wing with fuse, pusher prop.
1. I will not have steerable nose gear. Too complex this go 'round.
2. Delta wing, flat bottom config, so lots of room on bottom to play with.
roo_ster is offline Find More Posts by roo_ster
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2013, 08:24 PM
Canadian Bacon
Kingston, Canada
Joined Jun 2004
12,671 Posts
Main gear on a delta should have the main gear just behind the CG. Just enough to tilt the nose down if you were to push the tail to the ground. Should sit on the ground with the nose slightly high in order to rotate at takeoff. Built a few of them.

Gord.
flypaper 2 is offline Find More Posts by flypaper 2