HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Yesterday, 08:06 PM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,882 Posts
So about two weeks ago, i had a crash that sheered my tail boom off. I was doing tic tocs really low and i thought something weird happened. But i figured it could have just as easily been me. So i repaired the heli and checked the servos out and everything before flying it. I did a test hover and then i took it to the field. I flew a hand full of flights on it in the next week or so. Then just a few days ago, right near the end of a flight. One of the pitch or aileron servos failed and i couldn't get any lift. I came in fully loaded while inverted.... Didn't quite get 700 flights out of them this time. But it was over 500

Gaui X5 - Flight 1258 - Servo failure = Inverted crash (6 min 19 sec)
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
to remove ads between posts
Old Yesterday, 09:26 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Biggie View Post
My brand new half price align motor showed up today. That's less than a week turn around . Great service. Installed already and didn't even have to reverse any wires. Spooled up so smooth. So I went to 95 % throttle . It use to shake like crazy, it was smooth. It wasn't a fully charged lipo so more testing to come, but I think I figured out my wobbles. ...but I have said that before.
Turns out, my 450 refurb seems to be having the same problem you were having. I removed blades then gears until I got it down to just the motor which has a pretty bad vibration. I sent an e-mail to the Align T-rex Store to see if they will send me one of those 50% off motors. There is a 6S and 3S version of the 460MX. Did they send you the 3S version?
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 09:30 PM
Moving Parts
United States, MS, Columbus
Joined May 2011
1,376 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IntegrityHndywrk View Post
So about two weeks ago, i had a crash that sheered my tail boom off. I was doing tic tocs really low and i thought something weird happened. But i figured it could have just as easily been me. So i repaired the heli and checked the servos out and everything before flying it. I did a test hover and then i took it to the field. I flew a hand full of flights on it in the next week or so. Then just a few days ago, right near the end of a flight. One of the pitch or aileron servos failed and i couldn't get any lift. I came in fully loaded while inverted.... Didn't quite get 700 flights out of them this time. But it was over 500
Too bad about the crash! Good thing the heli wasn't close to you. Wow, over 500 flights!
ChopperJack is offline Find More Posts by ChopperJack
RCG Plus Member
Old Yesterday, 10:34 PM
They call me plan B
United States, GA, Covington
Joined Mar 2011
2,151 Posts
I could have got either one. My helis flew great today. The 450 was screaming at 95 % throttle. No more vibes. Still want to build another heli.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChopperJack View Post
Turns out, my 450 refurb seems to be having the same problem you were having. I removed blades then gears until I got it down to just the motor which has a pretty bad vibration. I sent an e-mail to the Align T-rex Store to see if they will send me one of those 50% off motors. There is a 6S and 3S version of the 460MX. Did they send you the 3S version?
Heli Biggie is online now Find More Posts by Heli Biggie
Old Yesterday, 11:35 PM
want to fly the big one please
United States, CA, Covina
Joined Feb 2013
2,372 Posts
bummer about the crash Integ, but with so many flites on em............... I would replace them at around 500 just for preventive maintenance.

that align motor trade in is pretty cool.
great to hear you got the 450 sorted out Biggie!
I knew you would eventually, and sounds like now you have the build bug.
get the dominator anyweey!

well I put the second Hobbywing Platinum V3 ESC on the new 450 FBL ,
the one that crashed a while ago, not too long after it's completion,
and it flew well for 2 flites, though the motor speed was much slower than the FB 450 heli with same motor, batt, and gears.
I think maybe I messed up the RPM standardization on initial spool-up, and need to reset it or something.........................but anyway on 3rd flite I took off, flew around for a minute then came in to do some throttle changes,
and about 10ft. off the ground just before landing, it went weird on me, and started to go to the ground in a hurry, but luckily I got a Thr cut on it and was able to land almost on it's feet but it tipped over just as the blades were slowing down.
at first I thought it was the gyro that went wonky, but turns out it is the new ail. servo i replace from last crash. This is as new Solar servo and it only went 3 flites before it malfunctioned, but I think it could be my fault, because I do open up all servos, and tune em up out of the box.
I am so glad that there is no damage at all other than the servo.
I think maybe I didn't get the gears popped in all the way or something, have yet too open it up, but these servos have been very durable and reliable for me after a couple years using them.
MAN that was lucky, especially after i have spent so much time getting 'er back top notch again.

i think I am going to try my own setting this next time with the HB-800
I just can't seem to agree with any of the presets
but I am a little apprehensive on starting out with my own settings
psychlic is online now Find More Posts by psychlic
Old Today, 02:02 AM
IHW Heli Division
United States, FL, Palm Coast
Joined Mar 2012
6,882 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychlic View Post
bummer about the crash Integ, but with so many flites on em............... I would replace them at around 500 just for preventive maintenance.

that align motor trade in is pretty cool.
great to hear you got the 450 sorted out Biggie!
I knew you would eventually, and sounds like now you have the build bug.
get the dominator anyweey!

well I put the second Hobbywing Platinum V3 ESC on the new 450 FBL ,
the one that crashed a while ago, not too long after it's completion,
and it flew well for 2 flites, though the motor speed was much slower than the FB 450 heli with same motor, batt, and gears.
I think maybe I messed up the RPM standardization on initial spool-up, and need to reset it or something.........................but anyway on 3rd flite I took off, flew around for a minute then came in to do some throttle changes,
and about 10ft. off the ground just before landing, it went weird on me, and started to go to the ground in a hurry, but luckily I got a Thr cut on it and was able to land almost on it's feet but it tipped over just as the blades were slowing down.
at first I thought it was the gyro that went wonky, but turns out it is the new ail. servo i replace from last crash. This is as new Solar servo and it only went 3 flites before it malfunctioned, but I think it could be my fault, because I do open up all servos, and tune em up out of the box.
I am so glad that there is no damage at all other than the servo.
I think maybe I didn't get the gears popped in all the way or something, have yet too open it up, but these servos have been very durable and reliable for me after a couple years using them.
MAN that was lucky, especially after i have spent so much time getting 'er back top notch again.

i think I am going to try my own setting this next time with the HB-800
I just can't seem to agree with any of the presets
but I am a little apprehensive on starting out with my own settings
I had a single servo fail on my V480BX last week also. It began suddenly and without any indication, the heli began gaining altitude. I had to cut it and let it fall at about 100 feet. Practically the same failure as on my X5 but instead of not getting any lift, it got stuck giving lift. I tried replacing the single servo with a another one i thought was still good. It just didn't feel right. The tracking or something was off or else the servo was sloppy and caused weird twitchy things to happen. So i landed and i also need 3 cyclic servos for my 450 now.

It seems that at the end of every summer i can plan on replacing a lot of servos. Then again at the end of winter or spring i may have to again... Because that is about how long it takes to put 500 flights or so on these. This is kind of why i have been saying that i "got lucky" when i burned out all 4 of my X7's servos on my bench. Since they had over 500 flights on them, i probably saved myself a servo failure related crash. Because i probably would have kept going until they showed some signs of possible failure. But apparently these bigger servos don't give many indications before the motors just shut down. I'm starting to see the value in brushless servos. But they are soooo expensive still.. I think I'll wait till they are cheaper than $130-150 each.

It sucks because i didn't have any of my favorite helicopters available to fly this weekend.... I have my X7 cyclic servos already. This weekend I'll order some cyclics for my X5 and the parts i need to fix it. Hopefully next week or the week after I'll have them both flying again.... Or at least one of them.. I've been soooo damn bored this weekend without something to fly other than the 200-300s and my 3s 450.
IntegrityHndywrk is online now Find More Posts by IntegrityHndywrk
Last edited by IntegrityHndywrk; Today at 02:07 AM.