HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Closed Thread
Old Jan 03, 2013, 11:12 AM
Dean
USA, CO, Littleton
Joined Apr 2005
3,868 Posts
With 0 to 15 F temps we have had here the last week I have seen no problems with at least 15 different FrSky RXs used by different people I would not worry about that. Do the refridgerator test if you feel the need.
A10FLYR is offline Find More Posts by A10FLYR
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:26 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
1,912 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomic Skull View Post
If Futaba offered a 6 channel radio with the same kind of display as the DX6i I'd be all over that. I have no use for their advanced radios because most of the setup on a flybarless helicopter is on the gyro and not the radio. Subtrims, endpoints and CCPM is all done by the FBL controller. Hell they could even move the throttle and pitch curves into the gyro and let you fly on a 5 channel plank radio if they wanted to do that. That would actually be a pretty cool feature, you'd just set a linear throttle curve so the FBL controller could see the position of the collective stick. Then you could do your entire setup on the gyro over a PC or a smartphone.
Interesting you mention that... that is basically what I'm doing for helicopter in Arducopter. You hardly do anything in the radio, and you actually do fly an airplane profile. The only thing I set in the radio is some Expo.
R_Lefebvre is offline Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Jan 03, 2013, 12:28 PM
Arducopter Developer
Joined Oct 2010
1,912 Posts
Quote:
BUT the low temperature problems with the receivers worries me I would have hoped they would have srcreened that sort of failure out prior to despatch.
Woah, what is this about? I fly FrSky Rx's, in cold temps, never noticed anything.
R_Lefebvre is offline Find More Posts by R_Lefebvre
Old Jan 03, 2013, 02:04 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,367 Posts
Check this link and go 1 or 2 pages back. someone had problem with 2 receivers and cold apparently. I left a D8R-II Plus in the freezer for about 15 minutes and had no problem.. I think frsky will look into it..

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...76328&page=648
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:02 PM
Melbourne, Australia
Joined May 2006
6,407 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by scott page View Post
Other than Futaba, what "major brand" would you consider as being a benchmark for quality?
JR and Hitec from experience, Airtronics and Multiplex by reputation. The original Spektrum from experience, but they were JR chassis. Cannot comment on the newer Spektrum and don't want to get into a religious war over it!
kgfly is offline Find More Posts by kgfly
Old Jan 03, 2013, 04:10 PM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,246 Posts
I fly Futaba so that would be my benchmark. I think they make great gear. A bit pricy but good stuff.
I used to own Hitec and found their quality to be very high as well. Would buy Hitec again without hesitation.

However a key factor is the after sale service. If I break it can I get it fixed? Both Hitec and Futaba have provided me with outstanding after sale service.

With something like a Turnigy 9X or a 9XR, If you break it, maybe you just throw it away and get another because they are so cheap.

I don't know what the pricing of an X12D will be like but after sale service is important to me and part of that "quality" question.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Last edited by aeajr; Jan 03, 2013 at 04:19 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 05:01 PM
Flying a Chipmunk in Portugal
NRW, Germany
Joined Sep 2010
3,367 Posts
buy it from alofthobbies and I'm sure they will take care of you..
jhsa is online now Find More Posts by jhsa
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:33 PM
Aloft Hobbies
United States, CA, Novato
Joined Sep 2003
5,664 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhsa View Post
buy it from alofthobbies and I'm sure they will take care of you..
FrSky will have a very satisfactory solution for any transmitter repairs. I'll let them announce the details when they are ready.

Yes, Aloft will continue to stand behind everything we sell.

-Wayne
Rotozuk is offline Find More Posts by Rotozuk
Site Sponsor
Latest blog entry: Taranis Front Shell Swap
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:42 PM
Joined Dec 2011
3,152 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilrah View Post
1 for me too.
All I need is:

Gyro gain switch - three position is nice but I've never needed more than one setting for heading hold and one for rate mode so 2 position is all that is required.

Throttle hold switch

DR switch(es), bonus if I can set elevator and aileron DR to a single switch.

Two or three position idle up switch (as with gyro gain three position is nice but 2 is all that is actually required)

A good set of gimbals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotozuk View Post
FrSky will have a very satisfactory solution for any transmitter repairs. I'll let them announce the details when they are ready.

Yes, Aloft will continue to stand behind everything we sell.

-Wayne
That's the main reason I looking to replace my Devo 8, the gimbals have gotten a little creaky and once it's out of warranty (such as it is, this is Walkera after all) there's pretty much no way to get it fixed, they won't even sell me the gimbals to fix it myself. Walkera makes nice radios that work well but you won't be using them for years to come because when the sticks wear out Walkera expects you to throw it out and buy a new one.

It's a shame because some of Walkera's stuff is pretty well engineered, it's just that the quality control is often lacking and you get almost no customer support. They have the potential to be a great RC hobby company but they keep throwing it away.
Atomic Skull is offline Find More Posts by Atomic Skull
Last edited by Atomic Skull; Jan 03, 2013 at 07:07 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:44 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
106 Posts
DoctorX is offline Find More Posts by DoctorX
Last edited by DoctorX; Jan 03, 2013 at 08:11 PM.
Old Jan 03, 2013, 06:50 PM
United States, CT, Bridgeport
Joined May 2012
1,201 Posts
This looks like the main board from the 9xr.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...postcount=3050
Did you intend to post this in the x12d forum?
stevea3342 is offline Find More Posts by stevea3342
Old Jan 03, 2013, 07:06 PM
efx
Rookie in training, heads up
Los Angeles
Joined Mar 2010
3,208 Posts
Here's an interesting radio. It would be cool if they add an fpv on top of this radio you guys keep talking about. I think the fpv screen on the top would work better, but an all in one is pretty cool. Just throwing some more ideas for the frsky tx.
http://www.hobbyone.com.hk/cn/product.jsp?id=11349
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...hlight=devo+f7
efx is offline Find More Posts by efx
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Malware?
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:02 PM
KC
Registered Loiterer.
United States, FL, Orlando
Joined Sep 2006
3,872 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorX View Post
I inverted the polarity of 7.2V battery and the little yellow part (picture below) of a TFR8S receiver got burned now I'd like to solder a new one, what's the name and price ?
I think the reference is 226C /60C73 is this correct ?
Here are a couple of posts that may help you.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1415356

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...26&postcount=1
KC is offline Find More Posts by KC
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:18 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Jun 2011
106 Posts
thanks KC I was reading the same thread it's a tantalum capacitor.
I need to replace it but I'm not sure if the receiver will survive because I was "playing" with
these are the numbers printed on 226C /60C73 if this is correct, what's the part number/manufacturer ?
http://www.digikey.com/product-searc...acitors/131082

DoctorX is offline Find More Posts by DoctorX
Old Jan 03, 2013, 08:26 PM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Hobart, Australia
Joined Oct 2002
2,556 Posts
Getting back on topic, the Microtechnics site is listing the X9D availability as March.

http://www.microtechnics.eu/detail.p...=X9D&langue=en

and X12D Q2/2013.

http://www.microtechnics.eu/detail.p...X12D&langue=en

Are they guessing or do they know something we dont? It looks like X9DA designation is for the prototype sets with cheap gimbals, but X9D production version will be BB gimbals which is nice (though prob wont help my low standard of flying!).
ChrisJ800 is online now Find More Posts by ChrisJ800
Closed Thread