SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:13 PM
Registered User
United States, GA, Athens
Joined Feb 2012
128 Posts
I stripped the rudder servo today Any tips on replacing it? Just cut it out and glue in a replacement?
zhavener is offline Find More Posts by zhavener
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2012, 05:15 PM
Twisted Do Nut!
KamikazePilot's Avatar
Fort Worth
Joined Dec 2010
2,340 Posts
Yep just like that, it's how I did the one that stripped on my slick. Been lucky on the Yak though.
KamikazePilot is offline Find More Posts by KamikazePilot
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:05 PM
On loan to Texas
Ohio AV8TOR's Avatar
United States, TX, Benbrook
Joined Oct 2005
5,188 Posts
On my first Xtra Slick I used Futaba S3113's with absolutely no problems, will they work for the CY?
Ohio AV8TOR is offline Find More Posts by Ohio AV8TOR
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:09 PM
Extremely Twisted
cwojcik's Avatar
United States, NH, Epping
Joined Oct 2005
2,629 Posts
Yes.
cwojcik is offline Find More Posts by cwojcik
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18, 2012, 06:41 PM
Registered User
livinma1's Avatar
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zhavener View Post
I stripped the rudder servo today Any tips on replacing it? Just cut it out and glue in a replacement?
Hah.. Just replaced mine the other day. PITA.... If you did it with the welders use acetone and let it soak in. Then with a new x-acto blade cut close to the servo casing and also to the glue points. Then just pull the foam and keep working at it until it comes free.

BTW: I will be up in your neck of the woods tomorrow visiting my brother.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:13 AM
3d Kiwi
uptime4downtime's Avatar
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
I like hotglue and tack them on, then remove with alcohol soaking. Seems to work with minimal or no foam damage.
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:16 AM
Registered Addict
Kris...'s Avatar
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
I like hotglue and tack them on, then remove with alcohol soaking. Seems to work with minimal or no foam damage.
Hey Rick you ordered a EXP Yet ?
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:46 AM
the bird that can't fly..
3dBuster's Avatar
אוסטרליה
Joined Sep 2004
308 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Nice flying again Jimbo.

That tray and strap setup is sweet, man more things to spend money on
Might have to make room in the budget for that somehow, looks very comfortable and put things just where you want them. Ido do you get that little button for the bottom of the tx with it? the stand might be a useful addition too.

Did you see the heater? mmm nice warm hands. Anyone for toast at the field
Hi Aviefly !

Yeah , it really makes the difference on flying , at least for me .

Flying our little toys we use two fingers , and to think we can be very precise and have a steady hand is bit hard.. so a stable platform for your radio makes a lot of difference , more then you would think ((:

About the heater , yes I did LOL... I was flying in Korea last year , it was -5.. high wind.. that thing was magic I tell y'a..

And yes , with the Tray you get all you need !

Cheers
Ido
3dBuster is online now Find More Posts by 3dBuster
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 07:24 AM
Registered User
livinma1's Avatar
United States, GA, Lawrenceville
Joined Jun 2003
7,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by uptime4downtime View Post
I like hotglue and tack them on, then remove with alcohol soaking. Seems to work with minimal or no foam damage.
That was the replacement method .. After I got the new one in I used hot glue.
livinma1 is offline Find More Posts by livinma1
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 10:08 AM
Slopeaholic
jimbo320's Avatar
Joined May 2011
3,644 Posts
Nothing but rain here,so i spent a few hours on the sim instead, practicing right rollers, i can do left rollers but right are pretty alien.
I think ive figured out the timing bit, the late timing is used with the rudder to 'actuate the turn'. Do you use the rudder as the primiary turning method and apply it late to 'steer' it round the circle?
Ta.
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 12:44 PM
Registered User
Aviefly's Avatar
United Kingdom, Aviemore
Joined Feb 2005
3,244 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dBuster View Post
Hi Aviefly !

Yeah , it really makes the difference on flying , at least for me .

Flying our little toys we use two fingers , and to think we can be very precise and have a steady hand is bit hard.. so a stable platform for your radio makes a lot of difference , more then you would think ((:

About the heater , yes I did LOL... I was flying in Korea last year , it was -5.. high wind.. that thing was magic I tell y'a..

And yes , with the Tray you get all you need !

Cheers
Ido
Thanks Ido. I've never used a tray though I have always used a lanyard. I figured it was a bit too expensive to go for the whole setup at the minute as I don't know if I'll like it or not. I decided that I'd want to try it with the side supports as I'm a pinch flyer so I'm looking at like 100 all in for the tray with the strap. I've ordered a strap as I don't fancy getting the needle and thread out to try and make one but I'm going to knock something quick and dirty up for a tray to see if I get on with it. I think if I do I'd invest the money in the tray as it's not the sort of thing you'd need to buy more than once. Thanks for bringing it to our attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbo320 View Post
Nothing but rain here,so i spent a few hours on the sim instead, practicing right rollers, i can do left rollers but right are pretty alien.
I think ive figured out the timing bit, the late timing is used with the rudder to 'actuate the turn'. Do you use the rudder as the primiary turning method and apply it late to 'steer' it round the circle?
Ta.
I tend to do more with the rudder than the elevator now but to start off with it was the other way round, I hope to bring it back a bit so they both just blend in to the roll.

If your doing late timing I guess your doing what I call an inward rolling circle, i.e. rolling right and turning right or rolling left and turning left, rolling into the circle. It took me a while to get the one, I always found an outward rolling circuit easier than an inward. I see an outward rolling circle as bringing the timing forward rolling left and turning right or rolling right and turning left, rolling into the circle.

Now if only I could get my head round rolling loops surely it just the same thing but turned on it's side, give it the guns on the way up and come off it on the way down. I'm still gettin up and over the top but my brain freezes on the way back down. I've attempted hundreds of them and maybe got four or five that looked reasonable.
Aviefly is offline Find More Posts by Aviefly
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 01:40 PM
Team Twisted!
hone1er's Avatar
United States, CA, Hercules
Joined Dec 2011
4,209 Posts
On the way down even though you're off the throttle you'll be picking up speed. Speed=faster roll. So, on the way down you just have to be ready to speed up the inputs to keep up. Doing larger inputs on elevator and rudder on the way down makes it rotate a little slower.
hone1er is online now Find More Posts by hone1er
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:24 PM
Slopeaholic
jimbo320's Avatar
Joined May 2011
3,644 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
Thanks Ido. I've never used a tray though I have always used a lanyard. I figured it was a bit too expensive to go for the whole setup at the minute as I don't know if I'll like it or not. I decided that I'd want to try it with the side supports as I'm a pinch flyer so I'm looking at like 100 all in for the tray with the strap. I've ordered a strap as I don't fancy getting the needle and thread out to try and make one but I'm going to knock something quick and dirty up for a tray to see if I get on with it. I think if I do I'd invest the money in the tray as it's not the sort of thing you'd need to buy more than once. Thanks for bringing it to our attention
That is a lovely tray, fancy one myself, is that the secret to good flying ? (I wish). Postage is 18 bucks though, as in korea.




Quote:
Originally Posted by Aviefly View Post
I tend to do more with the rudder than the elevator now but to start off with it was the other way round, I hope to bring it back a bit so they both just blend in to the roll.
I had a good go on the sim today, i also found that using the rudder late (by this i mean overrunning the dead central point) gave you the turn, much more effectively than turning with the elevator. In the end i was just adjsuting the pitch with the elevator.

I like to roll left circuits, with a right roll (or outward i think you call it). Thats my preferred, i was practising right circuits with a right roll (so an inward roll). This is where i found the rudder more effective.

I also had a go at rolling loops, which once i tried to do a rolling circle but vertical, it started to click. So it was a good session on the sim. Managed a few nice ones, some rolling 8s and rolling cubans I think on the rolling loop you use the elevator to turn (need more time to be sure of this).

BUT im sure its very different than with the real plane as on the sim there is lots of space.....
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Last edited by jimbo320; Nov 19, 2012 at 02:45 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 02:51 PM
3d Kiwi
uptime4downtime's Avatar
New Zealand
Joined Dec 2007
3,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Hey Rick you ordered a EXP Yet ?
I've been I touch with da Australia, so know what I'm in for. Been collecting a few foamies last minute, as some are the last in stock over he. Didn't want to miss out! Telinks. But yes, waiting and will probably start on the 48 mxs for now.
uptime4downtime is offline Find More Posts by uptime4downtime
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Phantom Vision+ tips
Reply With Quote
Old Nov 19, 2012, 03:03 PM
Slopeaholic
jimbo320's Avatar
Joined May 2011
3,644 Posts
Just got this from another thread. This is how to do rolling loops (and just about any other trick in the book...).

3DHS 103extra spookfest workout pilot Joe Smith (8 min 22 sec)
jimbo320 is offline Find More Posts by jimbo320
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Twisted Hobbys - RC Factory USA YAK-55 39" Build Thread/Videos & Flight Video!!!!! cbriggs11 3D Foamies 78 May 28, 2014 05:40 PM
Build Log Twisted Hobbys - Telink 3D Buster EPP Bipe Build Thread, Flight Video just posted!!!! aerofundan 3D Foamies 564 May 08, 2014 07:16 AM
Build Log Twisted Hobbys - Telink 43" Yak 55 - Build, Fly, Vid hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 1006 Feb 22, 2014 03:52 PM
Discussion Twisted Hobbys Crack Yak! hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 181 Sep 13, 2013 03:54 AM
Discussion RC Factory USA - Twisted Hobbys - 1.2m SU 29 Build Thread. hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 97 Oct 19, 2011 06:34 AM