HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 28, 2014, 07:19 PM
Pile-it
Alien_Tech's Avatar
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,694 Posts
Got a little more time on my MH, and it's mostly dialed in. I am having an issue with it closing the cuts however. Even with native text from the SCAL software, each letter has a portion of the perimeter left uncut, usually 1/16" to 1/32". Makes no difference whether it is an imported image or plain text, it always leaves a small piece uncut. As you can imagine this makes weeding a pain in the backside, and the area where it didn't cut not so clean. Any ideas?

I really like the software. The more I use it the more capable it becomes. I have grabbed several images online and the trace image provides a nice clean outline more times than not, so that's great. I'm still learning all of the nuances, but I've found several YouTube videos that have been helpful. The tacky mat works great too.I'm just cutting simple stuff right now, but looking forward to more complex designs as soon as I get this problem fixed.
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 28, 2014, 07:32 PM
I'm going flying..........
rpmrpm's Avatar
Ramona,CA
Joined Feb 2008
647 Posts
First thing that comes to mind is blade off set. Build a test 1" square box with a 1" circle in it and play with that setting and see what it does for ya. I have seen it need to be changed with different blades.

Video describing issue.

Tip Jar - Offset Setting on Vinyl Cutter (7 min 9 sec)
rpmrpm is offline Find More Posts by rpmrpm
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28, 2014, 07:42 PM
Pile-it
Alien_Tech's Avatar
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmrpm View Post
First thing that comes to mind is blade off set. Build a test 1" square box with a 1" circle in it and play with that setting and see what it does for ya. I have seen it need to be changed with different blades.

Video describing issue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne71aXXp4BY
That looks promising. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot.
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 01, 2014, 10:10 AM
Registered User
Aurora Municipal, Illinois, United States
Joined Jul 2002
1,566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
That looks promising. Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a shot.
When cutting thicker material you switch from a 45 degree blade to a 60 degree blade and you need to change the offset to match your blade. I've never used a setting that wasn't called out but my plotter manufacturer for a given blade. On my plotter there are several calibrations that need to be done once in a while to keep cutting accuracy up to par. Usually problems show themselves when your doing multicolor jobs and the registration is off.

I would look at this first. The Chinese cutters do have a reputation of using cheap electronics and they lose pulses which make funky looking cuts. Even the high end cutters occasionally blow a line especially on curved characters. An Xacto makes quick work of closing it.
bullseye000 is offline Find More Posts by bullseye000
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2014, 10:01 AM
Registered User
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
217 Posts
What transfer tape to buy and where

Recently purchased a Silhouette Cameo to cut vinyl to cover my assortment of white foamies.

After doing some test cuts and such, I'm ready to get going in earnest but unclear about the proper transfer tape to use and equally important, where to buy it without over spending.

The choices unclear to me are:

- To use high tac vs low tac transfer tape
- Use clear or not clear
- Do all transfer tape choices work with the wet process (the Windex trick) or only certain types?

I want to use 12" wide transfer rolls. Not the 15" or wider stuff I see offered.

Again, this is just to cover foamies so I don't need a 300' roll of transfer tape as this stuff seems pricy as is compared to the cost of the adhesive vinyl itself.

Any suggestion of a good source and type to use would be much appreciated.

Thx
bobbysbrother is offline Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2014, 12:39 PM
Registered User
rcav8r2's Avatar
United States, PA, Beaver
Joined Sep 2001
3,511 Posts
Here is what I used for transfer tape when I had my smaller vinyl cutter, and still do for some applications.
Get some blue painters tape (or regular old masking tape) and rip off a piece long enough to overlap your decal by a few inches.
Now blot it on your shirt or jeans. The tack of the tape and the "quality" of your shirt or jeans will determine how many times you have to do this; I find once on an old sweat shirt using blue 3M tape just right . I've had to blot cheap beige masking tape 3 or 4 times on a t-shirt.
Now lay out as many long pieces as you need to cover the graphic.
Place and burnish the graphic. Pull away transfer tape. Can re-use if needed.
Worked line a dream. I didn't use any Windex or the like and had no issues placing where I wanted or with bubbles. My experience was with smaller graphics so that may not work best for the larger ones.

Pros:
  • CHEAP compared to real transfer tape
  • Works very well

Cons:
  • It is opaque as apposed to the transfer tape I have used; which was translucent. For my smaller graphics, it didn't matter.
  • If your doing this as a business ( as opposed to selling to friends) it may appear a bit amateurish
  • Will have to use multiple pieces if graphic is larger than the width of your tape (2")
rcav8r2 is offline Find More Posts by rcav8r2
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2014, 01:02 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcav8r2 View Post
Here is what I used for transfer tape when I had my smaller vinyl cutter, and still do for some applications.
Get some blue painters tape (or regular old masking tape) and rip off a piece long enough to overlap your decal by a few inches.
Now blot it on your shirt or jeans. The tack of the tape and the "quality" of your shirt or jeans will determine how many times you have to do this; I find once on an old sweat shirt using blue 3M tape just right . I've had to blot cheap beige masking tape 3 or 4 times on a t-shirt.
Now lay out as many long pieces as you need to cover the graphic.
Place and burnish the graphic. Pull away transfer tape. Can re-use if needed.
Worked line a dream. I didn't use any Windex or the like and had no issues placing where I wanted or with bubbles. My experience was with smaller graphics so that may not work best for the larger ones.

Pros:
  • CHEAP compared to real transfer tape
  • Works very well

Cons:
  • It is opaque as apposed to the transfer tape I have used; which was translucent. For my smaller graphics, it didn't matter.
  • If your doing this as a business ( as opposed to selling to friends) it may appear a bit amateurish
  • Will have to use multiple pieces if graphic is larger than the width of your tape (2")
Thx for the suggestion but that won't work. The cuts I plan to make will be too big for that method. Besides, I need to see thru the transfer paper to see exactly where I'm placing the vinyl. In general these are not small decal elements. They're broad graphic shapes to place on the wing, rudd, ail, fuse, and elev as needed.

No, I'm going to need rolled transfer paper of some kind. I just don't like the idea of shelling out big buck for a roll only to find out i bought the wrong stuff. And 12" x 25 feet or so would be enough but I suspect it will be difficult to find that size.

BTW - This is for personal use not commercial. I got on the vinyl cutting path after losing sight of my foamies in the sky one too many times. Needed a solution to make them stand out better and after conducting some tests, chose vinyl over paint.
bobbysbrother is offline Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2014, 02:10 PM
Pile-it
Alien_Tech's Avatar
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,694 Posts
This is what I use. I got the 3.25" wide roll and you can easily put multiple layers on to make it wider if you need. It's clear so you can see through. Works great for me.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/shop/me...&Store_Code=SC
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2014, 02:45 PM
Registered User
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
This is what I use. I got the 3.25" wide roll and you can easily put multiple layers on to make it wider if you need. It's clear so you can see through. Works great for me.

http://www.signwarehouse.com/shop/me...&Store_Code=SC
So you think going with a smaller strip is OK and simply add more strips when more width is needed. I was thinking the opposite. Use a 12" width to match the width of the vinyl, then cut it a smaller width for smaller cuts - but I can see some merit to going your way.

Lots of brands listed. Which one do you use? Is it medium or hard tack? Does it work with the "windex trick" to slip it around into place?

Thx
bobbysbrother is offline Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 03, 2014, 04:10 PM
Pile-it
Alien_Tech's Avatar
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysbrother View Post
So you think going with a smaller strip is OK and simply add more strips when more width is needed. I was thinking the opposite. Use a 12" width to match the width of the vinyl, then cut it a smaller width for smaller cuts - but I can see some merit to going your way.

Lots of brands listed. Which one do you use? Is it medium or hard tack? Does it work with the "windex trick" to slip it around into place?

Thx
I like the flexibility that it gives me. The real wide stuff can be unweildy, this way I can get the size I want more easily. I'm using medium, works fine wet.
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:51 AM
Registered User
United States, NC, Chapel Hill
Joined May 2013
217 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien_Tech View Post
I like the flexibility that it gives me. The real wide stuff can be unweildy, this way I can get the size I want more easily. I'm using medium, works fine wet.
What do you think of this choice?

http://www.signwarehouse.com/AT-MANT...GXF100-06.html

It's 6 inches wide (I think the 3.5" width is a bit narrow for my application), medium tack, it's see thru (I want to try some two layer designs too) and I assume I can apply it wet when necessary.
bobbysbrother is offline Find More Posts by bobbysbrother
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 04, 2014, 07:53 AM
Pile-it
Alien_Tech's Avatar
United States, CA, Palmdale
Joined Nov 2007
1,694 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbysbrother View Post
What do you think of this choice?

http://www.signwarehouse.com/AT-MANT...GXF100-06.html

It's 6 inches wide (I think the 3.5" width is a bit narrow for my application), medium tack, it's see thru (I want to try some two layer designs too) and I assume I can apply it wet when necessary.
That should work. For that price I'd roll the dice.
Alien_Tech is offline Find More Posts by Alien_Tech
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 07, 2014, 09:30 PM
I'm going flying..........
rpmrpm's Avatar
Ramona,CA
Joined Feb 2008
647 Posts
App Tape roller.

Was doing some decals tonight & thought ID pass this along. It is a App tape roller made from Harbor Freight "roller brackets"

http://www.harborfreight.com/12-1-2-...l#.UxqNF4VsvzM
rpmrpm is offline Find More Posts by rpmrpm
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 01:34 AM
Earthbound Skyhound
StarHopper44's Avatar
United States, NC, Richlands
Joined Jun 2011
4,920 Posts
Hi guys,
Flipping thru the channels I just now stumbled upon this on HSN - the Brother ScanNCut machine, going for ~$400. Overview is pushing that ANYthing you can scan can be reproduced on it, from scan thru cutting out, handling a wide variety of materials (does leather or even tissue paper) with ability to re-size the 'subject' up or down to fit eg scrap remnants. Check it out & share your thoughts....anybody ever heard or know anything about it? They just changed to another product and said they have about 300 left in stock, & free shipping while the promotion's on. Whatcha think??
http://www.hsn.com/products/brother-...uggested=True&
StarHopper44 is offline Find More Posts by StarHopper44
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Mar 24, 2014, 03:01 AM
Kit Manufacturer
coreman's Avatar
United States, MA, Southbridge
Joined Feb 2010
3,496 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarHopper44 View Post
Hi guys,
Flipping thru the channels I just now stumbled upon this on HSN - the Brother ScanNCut machine, going for ~$400. Overview is pushing that ANYthing you can scan can be reproduced on it, from scan thru cutting out, handling a wide variety of materials (does leather or even tissue paper) with ability to re-size the 'subject' up or down to fit eg scrap remnants. Check it out & share your thoughts....anybody ever heard or know anything about it? They just changed to another product and said they have about 300 left in stock, & free shipping while the promotion's on. Whatcha think??
http://www.hsn.com/products/brother-...uggested=True&
Seems expensive compared to the other machines discussed here

http://www.cricut.com/Shopping/detai...363-12470.aspx $300
http://www.amazon.com/Silhouette-Cam...dp/B007R83VKE/ $269
coreman is offline Find More Posts by coreman
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: RA Cores Yak 55 Review
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold Roland Stika 15" Vinyl Cutter FASTALJR Aircraft - General - Miscellaneous (FS/W) 5 Sep 12, 2011 04:25 PM
Discussion Vinyl cutter for decals etc.. The End Painting and Finishing Tips 3 Jan 16, 2009 05:47 PM
Vinyl cutter for making airbrush masks? mluniewicz The Builders Workshop 6 Mar 21, 2005 03:13 PM
Is there an economical radial mount for the AXI 2808 series? papasmurf Power Systems 1 Jan 24, 2005 07:05 PM
Need software for a stika vinyl cutter scp85 tbstep Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 2 Jan 27, 2003 11:43 AM