SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 09, 2014, 06:58 PM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,831 Posts
Sure would enjoy knowing where to just buy the connectors. Have only found kits with plastic rods and connectors.

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2014, 07:12 PM
Joined May 2010
427 Posts
Dave,

Do a Google search for "molecular model kit." I find looking under images to be very helpful. Look here.

The buckyball is called in organic chemistry a "C-60" molecule, so after you find a particular supplier of your choice, put c-60 into the search box of the supplier and out will pop the model you requested.

Look here for the one I did for you.

You can adjust the diameter of the sphere by increasing the lengths of the interconnecting tubing or rods depending upon whether you choose to use rod or nylon tubing, i.e male or female connectors.
corocopter is offline Find More Posts by corocopter
Old Aug 09, 2014, 07:32 PM
Joined May 2010
427 Posts
How to.... instructions "Making a Buckyball":

Making a C60, Bucky Ball, Buckminsterfullerene model
Old Aug 09, 2014, 08:18 PM
Joined May 2010
427 Posts
Buckytube:

How about a Buckytube: for the "quad in a cage" idea.
Old Aug 09, 2014, 08:22 PM
Joined May 2010
427 Posts
Buckyball closeup shot:

You can see the lengths of nylon tubing used with the inter connectors. It all looks too heavy. I've not found the female connectors yet.

You may need to send an email to the builders of the Gimball and ask about those connectors. If you read the article I linked to, you will find some info that will point you to the inventor. It may take a bit of leg work. It appears that these parts must be of foreign design. Perhaps they custom built them, but I'm sure I've seen female connectors in the Chemistry Dept on the campus where I use to teach. I did not teach chemistry, but they had some nice display cases in the hallway. I now live a great distance from that school.

Click image to enlarge for detailed viewing.
Last edited by corocopter; Aug 09, 2014 at 08:49 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2014, 01:51 AM
skumgummi dave
Gresham, OR.
Joined Mar 2004
1,831 Posts
corocopter:

Thank you Sir for all the good info. You are correct. Looks like the parts are made in China. Reminded me of the D-Link set I had as a kid.

Dave-
foamdave is offline Find More Posts by foamdave