SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:40 PM
United Kingdom, Crawley
Joined Jan 2012
87 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceRail View Post
Time to make an aircraft carrier "deck" out of a 2' x 4' (suspended ceiling) tile!

(Manards will usually give ya' a broken one free,... if you can find one before they throw it out)
more intrested inthe acoustic in the background!!! (heli's 2nd hobby)
zetecmk2 is offline Find More Posts by zetecmk2
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:48 PM
Against Helicopter Cruelty
Joined Aug 2011
6,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprode View Post
I appreciate a prompt reply and a good explanation. I removed the head of my heli, and the upper shaft is not spinning at all. I looked at the gears, and they are all spinning except for the bottom bull gear in the center. It looks like it may have been supposed to be contacting with the spur gear in the rear gear-stack. Could those two have come out of alignment somehow?

Do I need to pull the shaft and realign the gears or did I done broke somethin? Hope my pics show...
Well, that explains a lot. And your pictures were helpful. The reason that your inner shaft is not spinning is because that the bottom gear is not making contact with the middle gear. You could clearly see that in the picture. How it got to that state is beyond me? I keep looking at KB's picture, your pictures and my helicopter and ask how did...? Then it hit me.

I'm sorry to say that you got a S107 clone. (Where did you buy that from?) That round charge hole was a dead give away. And if I'm reading the reflection right, your PCB is green, and not the red genuine S107R5. In the red board there is a hole in the middle for the inner shaft and it prevents the bottom gear to drop too low. I don't know what your green board does. Also, my main frame position the middle gear a bit lower than yours, also prevents the two gears to miss.

The only thing I could suggest now if for you to try to reposition the gears so that they would make contact. It might be easier if you could disassemble your helicopter to the point like HB's picture, where you have clean access to the gears. The top gear is attached to the outer shaft and the lower blades. If I were you, I would grab hold of the top white gear, then use the other hand to hold the lower blade holder, while twisting, push down and try to shorten the distance between the lower blade holder and the top gear. This is to make room for the upper blade. Now, the bottom white gear is connected to the inner shaft and the upper blade holder. (If you haven't already done so, reassemble the head rotor first). Now, grab that bottom white gear, and with the other hand twist and pull down the inner shaft. Hopefully, by doing that, you would raise the bottom gear just high enough to make contact with the middle gear. Otherwise, you'd have to pull the middle gear out and add a tiny washer, because your frame is a bit short.

To make a long story short, you're trying to close the gap between the bottom gear and the middle gear that drives it. As of now, they are not making contact. You have to find where the play is coming from and tighten it up. When the middle gear mashes with the bottom gear, your helicopter will lift off.
Heli Pad is offline Find More Posts by Heli Pad
Last edited by Heli Pad; Jan 29, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
Old Jan 29, 2012, 06:55 PM
United States, OR, Portland
Joined Dec 2010
534 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman0236 View Post
Wow, nice snag, Slim!
That was something I thought I would be doing (rescuing survivors) before I happened along this thread that has info about adding weight to our copters. So, I've just been doing landing maneuvers and, of late, practicing on fancy touch n gos. My neighbor is getting a little copter this spring and I hope to be in good form to kick his butt in the touch n go game.
Thanks man, I need to do something fun like this again soon. Today I have been bashing my head against the desk trying to get a multiwii micro quad to fly well.
Two days ago I had it doing flips with a KK board but I'm straying way off topic here.....
slim1357 is offline Find More Posts by slim1357
Old Jan 29, 2012, 10:47 PM
Joined Oct 2005
1,543 Posts
Hey thanks for the suggestions I tried my heli yesterday morning and she flew like a champ. She must have just had some extra moisture in the gyro. And I just ordered my second Syma. I just ordered the small Chinook heli and should ship within the next day or so. Can't wait, these helis are so cool.
matthew954 is offline Find More Posts by matthew954
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:05 PM
United States, AR, Springdale
Joined Dec 2008
237 Posts
I had an mcx with a nav light kit with the double blinking white tail light (pulse-pulse, pause)and it was freaking sweet.

I can find tiny leds, and know I need to use a resistor (also easy) but getting a double blink seems confusing. You need to use a 555 timer or something similar or get an ic programmed. I dont know much of circuits and thought I would see if any you had any knowledge to share on it all.
Dealwagon is offline Find More Posts by Dealwagon
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:07 PM
Buy it, Mod it, Fly it!!
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Syma s107 mod

So, I stripped down my S107G last night ready for when my new motor gets here and to have a good look around it:
I see that the main shaft sits into the base through the pcb. When I removed the shaft I noticed that the shaft has been wearing the hole into a tiny oval shape...not a lot but enough, so being a man with a plan I think I have come up with a solution that will halt the wear and possibly reduce friction altogether.

Hope the pics show clearly what I have done!

I found an old flybar off a stripped 2ch heli and removed the end and took out the weight...this then looks like a sleeve which so happens to be a perfect fit (luck had nothing to do with it!!) , then cut to the same size as the little pillar that holds the shaft below the bottom gear. It just also happens that I had some really small bearings left from when I used to mod my Picooz with bearings and C/F shafts. The bearing fits snuggly into the sleeve and the centre is a perfect size to take the shaft. I reduced the size of the original pillar to take the depth of the bearing and then Slipped the sleeve over the pillar and apply a tiny amount of C/A glue to hold.

Once my motor is here I will test a let you know how it gets on!!
braindecay is offline Find More Posts by braindecay
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Nov 2011
299 Posts
Nice job! Wow! I made one without the bearing, just a metal collar for the shaft to slide on. Worked OK but needed fine tuning to be just right.
andur is offline Find More Posts by andur
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:21 PM
United States, WI, Merrill
Joined Jun 2011
1,425 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sprode View Post
I looked at the gears, and they are all spinning except for the bottom bull gear in the center. It looks like it may have been supposed to be contacting with the spur gear in the rear gear-stack. Could those two have come out of alignment somehow?
I see in your pic of the blue S107, I assume that's yours, that the center shaft and main gear have sliiped below the sprocket on the middle gear. You should be able to press it back up. Press down on the top of the main head and try to pry up with perhaps a micro screwdriver under that main gear. You could still have a broken main shaft as well, but I would try that first.

If you have a broken inner shaft though I think the head would just come off if you took the flybar links off.

I would order a full shaft and gear set with your next parts order, just in case.

John
jgestner is offline Find More Posts by jgestner
Old Jan 30, 2012, 03:23 PM
arizona
Joined Sep 2010
717 Posts
So I ordered a wall A/C charger from amazon. The specs on the back of the charger are output dc 4.8v 800mA When I plugged it in to the wall outlet the red light came on. When I plugged it into my Syma S107g the light went out and about 15 minutes later the red light came back on. I flew for the usual 5 minutes and it seemed fine. Is that the correct time for charging from A/C? Up until now I have only used the usb computer charge and that takes +or- 40 minutes. Is this 800mA charger too much for a small lipo?
ryan93civic is offline Find More Posts by ryan93civic
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:01 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,411 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan93civic View Post
So I ordered a wall A/C charger from amazon. The specs on the back of the charger are output dc 4.8v 800mA When I plugged it in to the wall outlet the red light came on. When I plugged it into my Syma S107g the light went out and about 15 minutes later the red light came back on. I flew for the usual 5 minutes and it seemed fine. Is that the correct time for charging from A/C? Up until now I have only used the usb computer charge and that takes +or- 40 minutes. Is this 800mA charger too much for a small lipo?
You numbers look right on to me. That's how I've been charging and flying for months. Not one problem. Welcome to the 800mA/15min Charging Club.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:07 PM
Buy it, Mod it, Fly it!!
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by braindecay View Post
So, I stripped down my S107G last night ready for when my new motor gets here and to have a good look around it:
I see that the main shaft sits into the base through the pcb. When I removed the shaft I noticed that the shaft has been wearing the hole into a tiny oval shape...not a lot but enough, so being a man with a plan I think I have come up with a solution that will halt the wear and possibly reduce friction altogether.

Hope the pics show clearly what I have done!

I found an old flybar off a stripped 2ch heli and removed the end and took out the weight...this then looks like a sleeve which so happens to be a perfect fit (luck had nothing to do with it!!) , then cut to the same size as the little pillar that holds the shaft below the bottom gear. It just also happens that I had some really small bearings left from when I used to mod my Picooz with bearings and C/F shafts. The bearing fits snuggly into the sleeve and the centre is a perfect size to take the shaft. I reduced the size of the original pillar to take the depth of the bearing and then Slipped the sleeve over the pillar and apply a tiny amount of C/A glue to hold.

Once my motor is here I will test a let you know how it gets on!!
Had to enlarge the hole slightly on the pcb, If anyone else tries this be very careful with the pcb......one slip and it'll never work again
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:12 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,411 Posts
You are a brave man, sir! You are a master with your tools. I wouldn't have the guts to attempt that mod. I will let that hole wear, or replace the whole bottom cover, or glue on a tiny washer. Incidentally, there is a similar washer just above the top gear in the main frame. There really shouldn't have been much play in the shaft to wear out that hole at the bottom.
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:25 PM
Buy it, Mod it, Fly it!!
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heli Pad View Post
You are a brave man, sir! You are a master with your tools. I wouldn't have the guts to attempt that mod. I will let that hole wear, or replace the whole bottom cover, or glue on a tiny washer. Incidentally, there is a similar washer just above the top gear in the main frame. There really shouldn't have been much play in the shaft to wear out that hole at the bottom.
Oh damn you Heli pad.... what did you tell me that for!!! Gonna have to take more of it apart now to see what you mean

Your right though, I dont recall there being much play in the shaft to be honest, but I need something to do while I wait for my motors
Old Jan 30, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Aug 2011
6,411 Posts
Ha LOL
Old Jan 30, 2012, 06:14 PM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Jan 2012
109 Posts
I just got home from work to find 2 blue meritlane heli's in a bag
Boxes are slightly dented but the heli's look great.

I just logged on to order two more and they changed the price back to $26 each again
XDRoX is offline Find More Posts by XDRoX