SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Nov 18, 2014, 07:57 PM
Albany, NY
Joined Oct 2010
102 Posts
Oops, sorry I thought I was at the other site. I'm on my way. Thanks!
TX79 is offline Find More Posts by TX79
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:27 PM
United States, WA, Marysville
Joined May 2012
318 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX79 View Post
There are numerous posts about how inferior the tail wheel is and how the small plastic piece breaks where it is attached to the rudder. I would like to change to a Sullivan assembly or something stronger, but want to make sure I do it correctly. Can somebody who has done the procedure on the CZ Cub do a step by step reply as to how it is done? For example, what size Sullivan did you order (there are several), did you go right over the exiting plastic on the main body of the plane or did you glue on wood and screw into that, how did you attach things to the rudder, etc? Did you use expoxy for the procedure or CA? The more detail the better. There most likely will be different methods but hopefully not. If this has already been explained in a thread, please show me where to go. Also, if this is not the way to go and somebody has simply coated or covered the existing small part that breaks with epoxy or something else to just make it stronger let me know. Thanks everybody!

I used the sullivan tailwheel rated for this models weight. i believe up to 10lbs, like a 40-60 size. I used a piece of ply epoxied to the plastic and foam, painted to match, attached with blind nuts supplied. I used JB weld to fix the pivot point on the rudder. that was the biggest pain but not too tough with the medium cure stuff.
Adipose is offline Find More Posts by Adipose
Old Nov 18, 2014, 08:58 PM
Albany, NY
Joined Oct 2010
102 Posts
Thank you!
Old Dec 17, 2014, 07:58 PM
Albany, NY
Joined Oct 2010
102 Posts
Carbon Z Cub Tail Wheel Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adipose View Post
I used the sullivan tailwheel rated for this models weight. i believe up to 10lbs, like a 40-60 size. I used a piece of ply epoxied to the plastic and foam, painted to match, attached with blind nuts supplied. I used JB weld to fix the pivot point on the rudder. that was the biggest pain but not too tough with the medium cure stuff.
I'm finally getting around to upgrading the tail wheel to a Sullivan. I have a couple of questions regarding your explanation.

1. When you attached the ply with epoxy did you rough up the plastic surface first? What thickness of ply did you use?

2. How do you use the blind nuts supplied? What are the steps to be able to use the supplied nuts and screws? I thought you somehow use small wood screws through the assembly and into the wood. If I can use the supplied screws and nuts it sounds sturdier.

3. When you talk about repairing the pivot point you mean the small plastic thing that attaches right to the rudder correct? Not the pivot point part where the small screw goes in right? That part on mine isn't broke, but the other thing did.

4. Lastly, the small wire that you bend up to attach to the rudder, did you glue it on the side of the rudder like some have suggested, or did you drill a hole into the bottom of the foam or plastic and epoxy or glue it inside the rudder? Then you simply cut off the existing stock wheel, right?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 09:37 PM
Albany, NY
Joined Oct 2010
102 Posts
Carbon Z Cub Tail Wheel Upgrade

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adipose View Post
Also, what size Sullivan wheel did you buy to go with the 40-60 tail wheel assembly?
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:22 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
[...
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Old Dec 17, 2014, 10:24 PM
Canton, Michigan USA
Joined Jul 2007
16,650 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TX79 View Post
There are numerous posts about how inferior the tail wheel is and how the small plastic piece breaks where it is attached to the rudder. I would like to change to a Sullivan assembly or something stronger, but want to make sure I do it correctly. Can somebody who has done the procedure on the CZ Cub do a step by step reply as to how it is done? For example, what size Sullivan did you order (there are several), did you go right over the exiting plastic on the main body of the plane or did you glue on wood and screw into that, how did you attach things to the rudder, etc? Did you use expoxy for the procedure or CA? The more detail the better. There most likely will be different methods but hopefully not. If this has already been explained in a thread, please show me where to go. Also, if this is not the way to go and somebody has simply coated or covered the existing small part that breaks with epoxy or something else to just make it stronger let me know. Thanks everybody!
First, welcome to RCgroups.

Second, a video that shows how to install blind nuts is easier that explaining in text. The depth of the blind nut dictates the thickness of the plywood. The plywood should be thick enough so the blind nut does not protrude above the plywood.

Here you go on a video:
How To Install Blind Nuts. Modify Retractable Landing Gear in RC Plane Wing. (8 min 55 sec)
Prof100 is online now Find More Posts by Prof100
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Prof100; Dec 17, 2014 at 10:32 PM.
Old Today, 12:37 AM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Feb 2007
98 Posts
Here's a pic of mine. Has worked fine. Just screw it to plastic piece with some mid ca. Drill small hole in plastic rudder support and insert tiller spring. You'll need to cut off the original tail wheel of course.
jbarnes is offline Find More Posts by jbarnes