HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 15, 2013, 07:47 AM
Cambodia, Phnom Penh, PP
Joined May 2004
62 Posts
Discussion
Bicopter Plane design help needed

Anyone got any links to a successful Bicopter Plane build log post with good info.
I want to build a model similar to the (photo) layout I made in 2005 with improved stability (this did not have a FC board..only gyros)
Basically a model like a plane with a wing and tilting outer front motors for fast forward flight, added lift, duration, some glide ability, loops, and stable hover in head winds and pirouettes etc.
Can taxi around and hover take offs landings etc.
Any proven concepts you guys have done or seen.... let me know please.
Maybe a Bicopter or Tricopter proven concept with tilting front motors (without wing) will help me with ideas also.
I don't want to reinvent the wheel if some clever person has done it and has all the answers with specs on ....flight controller mods settings mixing or TX flight modes etc.
This gets complicated as roll and yaw reverse from hover to forward flight etc.
Anyone nailed this yet.
Mine flew good and hovered ok with tilting from hover to 45deg BUT transition down to horizontal forward flight proved very tricky without an onboard FC board accelerometer gyro mixing, TX mixing, flight modes etc.
I want another crack at this concept.
No collective or cyclic designs please and no ailerons ...just simple fixed tilting props and maybe a small tail motor if necessary.
Thanks in advance for any leads you can offer.
vtolman is offline Find More Posts by vtolman
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 15, 2013, 05:39 PM
Joined Aug 2007
4,243 Posts
Building a bicopter with the MultiWii or KK board will help you get up to speed using the latest tech in your awesome bicopter airplane. MultiWii is the better option if you need to touch the code and are fairly new at the whole coding process.

By the time you have played with that something more to what you are asking for will probably be available.
RCvertt is offline Find More Posts by RCvertt
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Chupacabra sighting !!!
Old Aug 16, 2013, 08:16 AM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,133 Posts
Hey welcome back Vtolman ... good to see you still flying Vtols !!!
Like Aaron said .. Multi Wii boards are much better now than any gyro and there have been several guys do bicopters ... matter of fact one has marketed his design .It is only a bicopter .. but probably could be re worked to tilt and fly as airplane too .
Here is his thread :
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1620636

In another thread it pointed to the online store that carries it .. but I can't find it right now . Maybe pm Samie and find the store or guy who built it for help .
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap
Last edited by v22chap; Aug 16, 2013 at 08:25 AM.
Old Aug 17, 2013, 12:57 AM
Cambodia, Phnom Penh, PP
Joined May 2004
62 Posts
Thanks RC Vertt Aaron and v22chap Larry.
Its been many years and I'm just starting back into the hobby actually.
I still have that model in the photo but its back in Australia.
I just got a kk2.0 for a scratch built tricopter with cam I've just finished and ready to test but I don't yet have a TX so Im patiently waiting on the Frsky Taranis ......who knows when that will be.......they are slow with getting stock made or sorting out quality problems whatever.
Yes I'm also thinking of a Multiwii pro (for AP and this idea)
But Im looking for someone who has made a heads start with program mods and testing.
Not my field of knowledge yet.
I see HappySundays is working on a V22 in his build blog to do all the tricky transition functions on a kk2.0 but he is yet to test it.
His Thread I guess you've both seen is- Osprey V22 with real transitional flight controller -with kk2.0 mods in his OpenAero2 V1.3
Hi LARRY is it ?..v22chap good to here from you its been a long time, I've been living in Phnom Penh Cambodia for 18 months of all places, I tried the Philippines but it wasn't for me and I lived in Thailand for 6 months.
I mail order everything here...as this country is back in the stone age.
I cant find any online store selling a kit you mentioned so I emailed Samie as you said.
WOW......I'm really surprised after ALL these years we cant buy an off the shelf reasonably priced fixed prop V22 kit with and/or a programmed FC board.
I've seen some other guys DIY projects but nothing perfected and the info is vague.
I hope Aaron's right and its all just a few months away.
Thanks guys.
Kingsley
vtolman is offline Find More Posts by vtolman
Old Aug 19, 2013, 06:59 AM
United States, IN, Granger
Joined Jan 2003
3,133 Posts
Yep .. Larry it is ... and yes Tom Mast has built the altimate V-22 (with a price ) ... and maybe he will surprize us and make a cheap airplane prop version . as he has talked about it .. wouldn't hold my breathe though
v22chap is offline Find More Posts by v22chap