HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 22, 2011, 09:59 PM
United States, GA, Valdosta
Joined Jan 2009
636 Posts
New Product
Hyperion Extra 330SC 35e

Looks like it has finally made it to the USA! From the Empire RC web page...

Hyperion Extra 330SC 35e - Zs3025B-10 motor and mount included

Wingspan: 1272 mm (49.9")
Wing area: 35 dm2 (3.76 sq/ft - 542.5 sq/in)
Length: 1245 mm (48.9")
Flying weight: 1300 - 1600g (45.9 - 56.5 oz./3.09 - 3.53 lbs.)
Servos: Hyperion HP-DS13-ACB x3 (two aileron, one elevator) HP-DS13-TCB x1 (one rudder,)
Motor: Hyperion Zs3025B-10 motor and backmount (included with kit)
Prop: 13x8 APCE
ESC: Hyperion Atlas 60A 4S
Lipo: Hyperion G3 EX 2600-4S, G3 VX 2600-4S

The Hyperion Extra 330SC 35e is the bigger sister to the same model introduced in 20e-size.

The 35e-class is an all-new class with a very attractive relation between weight and performance. We tested all relevant power solutions and the favorite setup of our test pilot ended up being a 2600mAh-based 4S setup. With a 13x8 APC-E the potential for speed is high while still having loads of thrust for powerful climb-outs of hovers, high-alphas etc.

The 2600-4S pack provides plenty of possibilities in adjusting the CG.

Or the Hyperion web page:
http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...-EXTRA330SC-35

Included Motor:
http://www.hyperion-world.com/produc...t/HP-ZS3025-10

Ordered mine today!
daedalusrobert is offline Find More Posts by daedalusrobert
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 23, 2011, 12:46 AM
Denver Colorado
Joined Jan 2010
921 Posts
That looks really nice. I might be tempted to try one soon. Cant wait to see some video.
grubby is offline Find More Posts by grubby
Old Mar 24, 2011, 08:12 PM
Joined Jan 2009
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by grubby View Post
That looks really nice. I might be tempted to try one soon. Cant wait to see some video.
I've seen a 20e up close...beautiful plane! Read somewhere that the pictures they used for the 20e are actually the 35e prototype?

Supposed to pick it up on the 30th...already have the ESC and servos. Going to go with an IceLite 75 set for 6V to the Hyperion DS13-TMB's all around. Plan on using my FlightMax 4S 2650 30Cs I already have on hand.
Last edited by daedalusrobert; Mar 24, 2011 at 09:16 PM.
Old Mar 26, 2011, 03:39 PM
GPT
Sydney,Australia
Joined Dec 2004
1,601 Posts
Just checked this out on the local distributors site. Unbelieveable value considering it includes the Hyperion motor,although the gear mount seems weak.Will be interested to hear feedback on this one.
GPT is offline Find More Posts by GPT
Old Apr 01, 2011, 07:33 AM
Joined Jan 2009
636 Posts
Picked her up yesterday! She is a beauty! Sorry, I was going to post some pictures this morning but it appears my Wife has done RUNNOFT with her camera...sometimes I worry she doesn't really have my priorities in line! I'll try to post some tomorrow.
Old Apr 02, 2011, 02:51 PM
Joined Jan 2009
636 Posts
Here are some pictures! I have planes from Sebart and Extreme Flight...both very good quality manufacurers...but this cowl is the best I've ever seen! Spinner is not included but 52mm (2") is the right size. I just happened to have a "regular" 52mm Hyperion spinner on hand but ordered a Hyperion "Aero" spinner from RCDude hobbies to see how it looks on the plane. Color doesn't exactly match but it is closer than the Dubro and Great Planes products.

I hope to start construction tonight or tomorrow...beautiful weather here and I don't have to work so I'm headed to the flying field!
Old Apr 04, 2011, 09:39 PM
Joined Jan 2009
636 Posts
Started the build tonight! Instructions are somewhat sparse but if you've built an ARF or two you shouldn't have much trouble.

So far I have the ailerons attached to both wings and have sealed the gaps. Servo installation was easy; the Hyperion DS13's drop right in and the plugs are long enough to reach the inside of the fuselage.

I've built many Extreme Flight 48" and Sebart 30e size planes...the quality of this plane thus far is every bit as good in my opinion!
Old Apr 10, 2011, 10:40 AM
Joined Jan 2009
636 Posts
Okay a little behind...lets see if I can catch up today!

Finished the build last night. Overall a fairly straight-forward sequence but there were a few snags, mostly related to the business end of the plane.

Issues

Motor Mount
You will need spacers to move the motor 3/16" to 1/4" forward. Plywood rings come with the kit but I haven't had much luck with them as they tend to compress even when given a generous coat of thin CA. My favorite spacers for this are 1/4" x .140 x 1/4" nylon spacers from Hillman...available at Lowes. These fit over the M3 hex screws nicely and are very light weight. You will need M3 screws at least 15mm long too.

Cowl Alignment
The cowl will need to be shimmed on the right side (left side looking at the plane) in order to get the spinner aligned with the opening. I used three M3 washers on each of the two cowl screws to get a near perfect fit. I was a bit skeptical about the hidden cowl mounting system but, it worked out fine...tight work area with my big ol' biscuit hooks.

Wing Bolts
Hand thread the wing bolts into the wings first! You will want to do this a few times minimum to get the nylon wing bolts ready. I tried to tread them with the wings on the plane and almost cross threaded them!

Battery Location
With my setup 1/3 of the FlightMax 2650 battery was on the wing tube to get her to balance! This turned out to be a non issue for flight because the velcro mounted on the battery and wing tube, along with the battery strap, held it in place very well. Also, the fuselage and canopy framing is open enough to allow the battery to stick up into the canopy somewhat.

Weight
The published flying weight range is 1300g to 1600g My AUW is 1636g/3.6 lbs. I don't see how the 1300g weight is even remotely possible! Here is a list of added weight due to my equipment:

IceLite 75A instead of Atlas 60A = +3g
Metal geared servos = +4g
2650 FlightMax (313 actual) instead of Hyperion 2600 VX (273 published) = +40g

Total = 47g/1.7 oz heavier than recommended set-up.

Balance
Balance point is at 100mm (published range 95 -105 mm) behind wing root/fuselage point. This puts it right at the center of the wing tube. Installing the ESC near the wing tube would help with moving the battery off of the wing tube and onto the battery tray. However doing this would mean making motor wire extensions. I've read somewhere that extending the motor wires a little is better than extending the battery connection wires...I welcome comments from someone who can confirm or deny this!

Cooling
The cowl has somewhat small openings for cooling and no method of directing air onto the motor or ESC. After my maiden flight the motor was very warm.

Custom Mods

Linkage
I chose not to use the links provided with the kit and instead went with all ball joint hardware and M2 fully treaded rod. Wing and elevator rods are 45mm long while the rudder rod is 62mm long. I had to search the internet to find the M2 rod but given that I had lots of 2mm ball joint connectors from other kits I thought the effort was worth it. Dubro makes 2mm ball joint connectors that are much better than the kit hardware in my opinion. I looked at switching over to the 2-56 connectors but with all the planes coming from China, thus being metric, it made sense to stick with metric.

ESC
Seeing the max current amp numbers (65A) for the motor on the Hyperion web site I decided to go with a IceLite 75. I drilled small holes in the base of the motor cage far enough apart to let me run a strip of velcro for the battery between them on the inside of the cage/battery box. This also enabled me to locate the zip ties away from the critical parts of the controller. As you've seen in the issues section above, I may very will move the ESC to be on the CG location.

OBSERVATIONS

I believe the plane could be lightened somewhat. Using the current weight of my plane, 3.6 lbs, 722 watts would give one 200w/lb. With that number in mind, I believe the following configuration would work:

800W motor: Scorpion 3020-780 (166g/5.8 oz) = -31g
50A ESC: IceLite 50 (48g/1.7 oz.) = -20g
2200 30C 4s: FlightMax 2200 (268g/9.4oz.) = -44g

Total = 95g/3.3 oz. less or .2 lbs. New weight 3.4 lbs. or 680 watts @ 200W/lb. 800W motor would be 235W/lb.

Is it worth all that? I don't know...I was very anxious about the weight when I took her up for her maiden but those fears were quickly put to rest once she left the ground! One click of left aileron and one click of down elevator proved to be all she needed for straight and level flight. She flew great during the 6 minute initial shakedown and will head uphill like she was kicked in the rear! 100mm is a good balance point. I'll post amp/volt/watt numbers soon.

I'm going to fly again this afternoon and may have some video...we don't have a video camera proper but will try some with my Wife's new camera on video mode to see how it does. Pictures coming ...
Last edited by daedalusrobert; Apr 10, 2011 at 03:29 PM.
Old Apr 11, 2011, 06:24 PM
Joined Jan 2009
636 Posts
Sorry no video yet but did get a chance to run a couple of more packs through her on Sunday. Great flyer and looks good in the air...still working out CG range then I'll start with some of the tweeking like mixes for knife edge etc.

Motor cooling is an issue! It was very hot after both runs on each pack (ran two-4 minute runs on each battery to try and determine my numbers). Throttle was mid to upper range for all flights. Added balsa cooling baffles that I had left over from one of my Extreme Flight 48" planes...went on fairly easy - I'll let you know how they work.

Okay...some numbers on my setup:

Battery: FlightMax 2650 4S 30C
Motor: Hyperion 3025B-10 Motor
ESC: Castle IceLite 75
Prop: APC 13 x 8e

(Battery voltage is 16.8 for test)
Watts: 850
Amps: 62
Volts: 13.7

(Battery voltage is 16.8 for test)
APC 12 x 10e
Didn't even finish after AMPS hit 69 @ 75% throttle!

(Battery voltage is 16.4 for test)
APC 12 x 8e
Watts:840
Amps: 60
Volts: 14.0

In the mean time...more pictures.
Last edited by daedalusrobert; Apr 12, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 09:49 PM
Joined Jan 2009
636 Posts
Four more flights this afternoon but using the 12 x 8e prop. She had a bit more spirit in her it seemed and the motor was much cooler than before with the 13 x 8e prop and no cooling baffles...as was expected.
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:12 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Hmmm....Wonder how my Slick' gear would run it?
-720 motor and 4S2650 and 14x7APC ....

CooHead
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Old Apr 14, 2011, 10:13 PM
Don't watch this...
Northern IL
Joined Oct 2003
5,583 Posts
Wait, that motor comes with it?
Can I get it just airframe?
CooHead is offline Find More Posts by CooHead
Old Apr 15, 2011, 02:49 AM
Denver Colorado
Joined Jan 2010
921 Posts
You should try a 13x6.5.

Im running a 3025-10 in my 57" SC from 3DHS ona 4S 3300 with a 15x6 prop and it comes down warm on most flights but if I rip at full throttle it will come down hot.
Old Apr 15, 2011, 11:28 PM
Joined Jan 2009
636 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CooHead View Post
Wait, that motor comes with it?
Can I get it just airframe?
Yes, motor is included. I read/heard somewhere that the marketing folks at Hyperion decided to start including their motors with the kits because folks weren't buying their motors. I have to say I like the motor so maybe the marketing is working? Only thing I don't like about the motors is the numbers they publish. Take this motor for example...1150 watts and maximum amperage of 65. That's a little more than 16.8 volts...say 17.8 (4S is highest voltage shown on published prop data).

5S @ 54A is the answer perhaps? This may work with the 13 x 6.5 prop suggested by grubby? Sounds like a flight test is coming up! Have to check battery physical dimensions for a 5S though; 4S batteries are tight now due to cross brace/CG location.
Old Apr 16, 2011, 01:39 AM
Denver Colorado
Joined Jan 2010
921 Posts
I run that motor on a daily basis in my 57SC running a 15x6 on 4S 40C batteries and it comes down hot only if I hammer on the throttle and do lots of hovering.

You honestly might want to cut another vent hole in the cowl like most other models. Also did you cut the cooling hole in the bottom?