New Products Flash Sale
Old Jan 19, 2015, 09:16 AM
Find More Posts by Jimmie52
Joined Nov 2014
29 Posts
Discussion
Slow stick problem

Hi , finished my slow stick , turned on my DX6i to test everything. Got receiver to bind, plugged brushless motor in and it just twitches , just clicks. Servos move , but very very slowly on their own. Both at the same time . Could someone tell me what's wrong . Going crazy !!! Thanks . Jimmie52
Jimmie52 is offline Find More Posts by Jimmie52
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 19, 2015, 10:31 AM
Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,634 Posts
Power everything down.

What Esc and motor do you have? Make and model of each.
What battery are you using? Make and model.

Check the 3 motor wires to make sure the bullet connections are insulated and not making contact with each other.

Power on transmitter and put throttle to 100% (full).
Power on airplane and after the first set of beeps (2 for 2cell, 3 for 3cell) lower throttle to 0% (off).

Report back.

Edit: remove prop until this is figured out please.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jan 19, 2015, 02:07 PM
Joined Nov 2014
29 Posts
Slow stick problem

1320 fastback thanks I will get back to you in a few hours to let you know everything you told me to do! Jimmie52
Old Jan 19, 2015, 04:50 PM
Joined Nov 2014
29 Posts
Slow stick problem

Hi, 1320 fastback, I did what you said but still the same. Let me give you an update on the parts installed. Brushless motor (HB2832) 1190KV by Hobbymate. The ESC is 30 AMP. I can only tell you it is yellow and says- E329530. 3 Blue wires going to motor going into my bullet connectors. Didn't shrink them yet in case I had to switch one in case the motor was turning the wrong way at first. I'm glad now, I didn't do that in the first place. When I powered it up like you said, it beeped 3 times as I am using an E-flight 11.1 800 mAh 3-cell li-po. I borrowed it out of my Flyzone piper cub. Could it be the battery is not powerful enough. I've read we're guys put at least a 1500 for a slow stick? Oh almost forgot, also, GWS pico std and receiver is Specktrum AR-400. Hope this info helps you . I just hope it's something simple. I took my time doing this plane , not rushing, thinking everything should be ok. Hope you can shed some light. Thank you for responding in the first place. Any more thoughts on this and were I go from here will be greatly appreciated. Jimmie52
Old Jan 19, 2015, 05:16 PM
Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Detroit 2-stroke junkie
USA, CA, Oceanside
Joined Jul 2008
3,634 Posts
800 is a little small for the slow stick BUT should be fine to power it up with as long as it's charged. The servos moving slowly make me think the battery might be discharged.

The bullet connectors can not touch each other so if they are not wrapped yet at least keep them separated from each other while figuring out the wiring.

I flew my slow stick using either a 1,300 or a 2,200 3S for comparison.
1320fastback is offline Find More Posts by 1320fastback
Old Jan 19, 2015, 06:58 PM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,661 Posts
Hey after you bound the receiver, you did remove the bind plug didn't you?
If it's still there, you should rebind the receiver, remove the plug then try things.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 20, 2015, 05:38 AM
Joined Nov 2014
29 Posts
Slow stick problems

Hi 1320fastback and glacier girl. Thanks you for getting back to me. I charged the battery couple times, but maybe it's not good like you said and not hold the charge. I took another one same voltage, 800 mah same result. And I do agree with you , even though it's not a powerful battery to fly it , it should spin the motor shaft and servos. Glacier girl, good question on your part, yes I did take out bind plug and didn't notice a difference . The next time I tried it , I did just leave it in being nothing was changing . Does it really screw things up if you don't take it out each time ? Ok, I'm gonna start from scratch again. First get a stronger battery even though that may not be the problem. Then do the rebinding. It's so strange, when I plug in the battery to the ESC the whole plane comes alive! It's hard to explain. You can just tell it just wants to go. Oh, did I mention, once it has did the 3 beeps it proceeds to still beep every couple seconds . Is that normal? Ok, after work today I'm going to get another battery, and start from scratch. I live on the border of New York and Conneticut. I just thought I'd throw that in. Thank you again, Glacier Girl , and 1320fastback. I sure will let you know how I make out. Thanks for all your thoughts and suggestions. Jimmie52
Old Jan 20, 2015, 08:57 AM
Find More Posts by BHOFM
Kimbers Keeper.
Joined Nov 2014
1,085 Posts
J-52,

I would take it all apart. Hook up the ESC to the rec, no motor connected. Bind, Plug in each
servo and see what it does. One at a time. Then with the servos unplugged, connect the motor,
no prop. And see what that does.
BHOFM is online now Find More Posts by BHOFM
Old Jan 20, 2015, 09:27 AM
Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Kamikaze Ace
USA, FL, Lakeland
Joined Jan 2010
2,661 Posts
Jimmie, the constant beeping after the esc initializes is normally a sign of no receiver function.
The esc is not getting an arming signal from the receiver.

Make sure you have the servo/esc leads plugged into the receiver in the correct orientation.

To add to what BHOFM said, if the single servo does not respond correctly, after you bind the receiver, try flipping the servo lead 180 degrees and try it.

If it works then, follow the same with the other servo leads.
Glacier Girl is offline Find More Posts by Glacier Girl
Old Jan 20, 2015, 06:21 PM
Joined Nov 2014
29 Posts
Slow stick problem

Hi glacier girl, BHOFM, thanks again for more advice. I will try them all. Take my I -pad at the table and read all of your advices over and over. I'm game for anything right now. Just to let you know after work I went to my local hobby shop to see if they had a more powerful battery than an 800 mah lipo. He said , what's a slow stick.? And he's the owner. They have been catering more to the car scene. He said " well you wouldn't want something to heavy" . He did say what 1320 fastback said, my 800 mah should spin the motor and work the servos. He took a tester to them and said the two batteries I brought him weren't that bad. I did tell him as I test it out the ESC gets warm. He said it shouldn't get warm in that short time of testing . I called another hobby shop 45 minutes away from me in Conneticut and the guy there said he had a 1350 Mah that should be fine in the plane although I may have to change the connector which is not that hard. That's still probably not the problem but I'll need it anyway. Ok, guys , give me time to try your suggestions. Again , thanks . I'll keep you informed. Jimmie52
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:04 PM
Find More Posts by Rob_P
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,162 Posts
Jimmie, just wanted to make a comment.
You keep talking about a more powerfull battery when referring to the mA rating.
The mA rating is the capacity of the battery, its like the size of the fuel tank. Say an 800 mA pack is like an 8 gallon tank and a 1600 mA pack would be a 16 gall tank. A bigger tank will allow your motor run for longer, not faster.
The rate that your battery can supply current is its C rating, A higher C rating will allow the motor to take current from the battery faster which will give more power but as a consequence the battery will not last as long.
A higher voltage will allow the motor to spin faster. Volts x the kv rating of the motor.
Battery connector types can affect the power transmitted which is why I have standardised on Deans plugs for all my packs.
The situation you describe is too severe to be caused by a bad connector or battery voltage - capacity I think you problem lies with your BEC (battery eliminator circuit) which is maybe not producing sufficient voltage. Have you tried putting a separate 6v pack on the receiver to power the servos without using the BEC?
Rob_P is online now Find More Posts by Rob_P
Last edited by Rob_P; Jan 21, 2015 at 11:09 AM.
Old Jan 20, 2015, 10:41 PM
Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Taipei, Taiwan
Joined Oct 2005
4,737 Posts
Hi Jimmie52,

I'd add something more that I thought might be good for your Slow Stick and your tests as well.
1. It's better to use 9-gram servos on Slow Stick, as Pico STD might not be enough for pulling its big control surfaces.
2. The leads of both the motor and ESC need to be soldered well on their connectors, failed to do that on any one of them might have caused the mentioned beeps problem. Moreover, any strands inside of the leads got broken might caused the same. Be sure NOT to bend them too hard.
3. Always throttle down completely on your Tx before connecting the battery pack with the ESC. Some radios will force you to do so by not arming the ESC by making many or even constant beeps for safety reason. I'd suggest testing this first on your SS.
GWS CHEN is offline Find More Posts by GWS CHEN
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:21 AM
Joined Nov 2014
29 Posts
Slow stick

Thanks Rob-P and GWS Chen. Wow appreciate all of your thoughts. I'm so glad I have all you guys out there to help me . I understand what you are saying Rob Maybe I should change the plugs . I am running thin wire coming out of the battery and then goes to thicker gauge to ESC. I know that should be changed. I just don't have the heavier wire coming out of battery and soldered it to the thicker ESC wires. And Chen, I always love your feedback as you seem to be always there so thank you. I guess I should get better servos. I didn't want to have to do that but I myself wondered if they could be too small right from the start. I did reverse the servo turned them upside down as I was suggested to do and they are moving better now , not perfect . I am going to probably have to put larger ones in. Check all connections ,and maybe do some resoldering. I'll get back to all of you after I start from scratch this weekend . Again, thank you all that have responded . Jimmie52
Old Jan 21, 2015, 06:22 PM
Joined Nov 2014
29 Posts
Problem with slow stick

Hi update. I want to thank 1320fastback,glacier girl, BHOFM,Rob-P, and of course, GWS Chen for helping with my slow stick. Guys good news, after re-soldering ,And putting different connectors on , and an upgrade battery to 1250 from 800 mah successes!!! It was great to see the servos go and the motor spin. I re did everything over again . I'm happy . Thank you all for your help in this mater. I'm so glad you guys are out there in case I have another problem . Thanks again for now , jimmie52. The slow stick will finally fly with all your help!!!!!!!!
Old Jan 21, 2015, 08:50 PM
Find More Posts by Rob_P
Grosse Pointe, Mi
Joined Jun 2005
1,162 Posts
Glad you got it sorted. On reading back through the post, I was wondering if it was not arming properly. The first three beeps will be your cell count. On knocking the throttle to zero the esc should be armed and ready to go. If its still beeping, its a sign its not ready. Perhaps your throttle trim was too high. If you get the symptom again make sure the throttle trim is fully down.

Rob
Rob_P is online now Find More Posts by Rob_P