HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 21, 2004, 04:10 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
19 Posts
Ready made wing skins

I have heard rumours about a company in the UK or US that makes composite wing skins - replacing the glassing job that you would usually have to do on a balsa wing. Can anyone tell me where to find this? I am building a Spiderjets F-16 and was thinking about this method for skinning the wings in a perfect way!

Thanks!

Tor
icepilot is offline Find More Posts by icepilot
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 21, 2004, 06:38 AM
EDF Head
Stavanger, Norway
Joined Feb 2000
7,999 Posts
http://www.mickreevesmodels.co.uk/ -> Pro Skin

Hilsener fra Stavanger,
Haldor
Haldor is offline Find More Posts by Haldor
Old Oct 21, 2004, 07:12 AM
Colchester UK
Joined May 2004
419 Posts
Tor

I used Pro skin from Mick Reeves for my Ta183. I had foam cores to cover and I decided to cover first with balsa, though this was not necessary. I hinged the ailerons and flaps with a strip of kevlar sandwiched between the balsa and the proskin. They are top hinged as in many of the ARTF models and it gives an incredibly neat hinge with the aileron perfectly aligned with the wing surface. I used PU glue. It sticks like crazy to everything and needs weighting down well as it foams as it sets. Ideally vac bags would be preferable. I used the thin proskin for this job and all I had to finish off was the leading and training edges. The epoxy used for these parts can overlap the Proskin and be sanded level. The result is neat and quick.

Last year I made a high speed delta for turbine use using proskin and vac bagged it. Because of the shape I managed to cover it in one piece on the top and one on the bottom. I used epoxy but would now definitely use PU now. That plane is incredibly tough and has flown so many flights I have lost count. The plane currently flies with a turbine of 18 lbs thrust and the dry weight of the model is 12 lbs. It has a huge surplus of power and has been flown at full power without coming apart. The delta wing was supplied skinned in obechi. The only problem I had was that a fold pattern on the vac bag imprinted itself into the skin as a slightly visible line.

I would definitely use proskin instead of glass if the wing is a simple shape. I have had problems in getting epoxy to set properly and I hate sanding!

John
John Wright is offline Find More Posts by John Wright
Old Oct 21, 2004, 07:52 AM
Oslo, Norway
Joined Sep 2004
19 Posts
Thank you, both of you - exactly what I was looking for!!!

Tor
icepilot is offline Find More Posts by icepilot