SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 03, 2004, 08:47 PM
Motorized lawn dart
United States, MS, Columbia
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
newbee with plans, can you help

Hi guys,Cadconversions was nice enough to give me a set of Bird Dog Plans from the Back Yard Flyer a while back. I think it was BYF. Anyway, It says to blow them up like 2.26 times. So, the gal at Kinkos blew them up and printed them. Perfect. Nice and crisp. What is my next step? Have another plans sheet made and use it to cut out my parts as a template? How does one cut the parts from the plans sheet only? Thanks yall. Looks like a fun build.Keith
Mopar92 is offline Find More Posts by Mopar92
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 04, 2004, 11:13 AM
Arnold , Maryland, United States
Joined Nov 2002
897 Posts
Sure. A second or third set of plans is the easiest way, but the cheapest way is to trace over the plans, and use the tracing as a template.
I've made tracing templates, And I've had full size copies made to cut templates from.
Its more accurate, and easier to cut templates, from a full size copy. So that's the way I would do it.

You can glue the template to the wood, a glue stick works, or masking/painting tape it. I prefer to tape it every few inches, and just cut through the tape while I am cutting out the piece.

If you are cutting out ribs, cut then all slightly larger, using the first one as a hard template, stack them together securely, and final sand them to the same size.
uglystick is offline Find More Posts by uglystick
Last edited by uglystick; Aug 04, 2004 at 11:25 AM.
Old Aug 04, 2004, 11:15 AM
Motorized lawn dart
United States, MS, Columbia
Joined Nov 2003
2,152 Posts
I'll just burn over to Kinkos and have a second set made. And then spray tack them with 3M 77, as instructed from a buddy.
Mopar92 is offline Find More Posts by Mopar92